Wimpy Heated Bed (can't reach 100C)

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
PeteD
Prints-a-lot

Wimpy Heated Bed (can't reach 100C)

Post by PeteD »

My heated bed is taking an extremely long time to heat up - about 60 minutes to get to 80C, and it seems to be incapable of getting up to 100C (it levels out around 92C). I know there are a lot of complaints about the wait time for the bed to heat up, but this seems abnormal. The wires leading to the heated bed don't feel hot, nor does the connection point to the RAMBo board, so I don't think it is a poor contact issue or a problem with the wires not carrying enough power. I haven't attempted to feel the temperature of the connection to the heated bed, since I would have difficulty telling a difference in temp at 80C by touch.

I did use a heat gun to get the temperature of the orion plate up to about 110C, but the bed wasn't able to sustain that temperature and dropped down to 92C again over a couple of hours.

Any ideas on what is causing this and what I can do to fix this?

Currently, My heated bed consists of the Orion plate, a 1/8" aluminum disc, a borosilicate glass plate, and a 0.03" PEI sheet.

Thanks!
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Re: Wimpy Heated Bed (can't reach 100C)

Post by mvansomeren »

It's most likely the PSU. The stock ones are mediocre. I replaced mine with a Corsair 750W and it doesn't take long for the heat bed to get to temp. Mine is sent to 95* for ABS
PeteD
Prints-a-lot

Post by PeteD »

I have read about the weak power issue related to the stock PSU, but I have not heard of it being as bad as what I am seeing. Is wait times of an hour or more for the bed to hit the target heat common? Is an inability for the bed to hit 100C (an advertised temperature) often seen?
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Check the voltage from the PSU while it heats the bed if it's under about 11.7 volts you can do better. If it's that or higher a different PSU won't help, unless you go to something which will output more than 12V.
There is some variance in the beds, the resistance is low enough, even minor variation in manufacturing can result in a difference in performance. The V1 beds were somewhat renound for having trouble hitting 100C mine won't exceed about 95, the later ones are better. I run mine at 80C for ABS, takes perhaps 15 minutes to get there with a towel on it.
PeteD
Prints-a-lot

Post by PeteD »

OK, I'm reading in at 10.7 volts. How do I go about getting the bed's voltage output to 11.7?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Replace the power supply. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects

Return to “Troubleshooting”