Windows 10

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Agisis
Printmaster!

Windows 10

Post by Agisis »

I did not see a thread regarding setup on Windows 10 vs. Windows 8 and below. I thought I would share what I did and did not do.

1) Windows 10 automatically discovered the device USB driver. It did not show up as an unknown device as stated in the manual. You still need to go into your device settings and Update Driver, pointing it at the RAMBo Driver seemecnc has you download.

2) Installation of Arduino IDE prompted me to install a USB driver. I SKIPPED that step because I had just installed one for this board.

3) Installation of Matter Control prompted me to install a device driver for the printer when I attempted to Add a Printer. I did not see that prompting in the manual. I SKIPPED that step for the same reason I did the Arduino IDE. I then manually set up the printer as shown in the manual.

Everything appears to work great on Windows 10, so the manual could be updated with that information. It currently states that it supports up to Windows 8. I bought this laptop with the sole purpose of using it for my printer and the new ones are coming with Windows 10. Just thought I would share.
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Re: Windows 10

Post by Tincho85 »

Agisis wrote:I did not see a thread regarding setup on Windows 10 vs. Windows 8 and below. I thought I would share what I did and did not do.

1) Windows 10 automatically discovered the device USB driver. It did not show up as an unknown device as stated in the manual. You still need to go into your device settings and Update Driver, pointing it at the RAMBo Driver seemecnc has you download.

2) Installation of Arduino IDE prompted me to install a USB driver. I SKIPPED that step because I had just installed one for this board.

3) Installation of Matter Control prompted me to install a device driver for the printer when I attempted to Add a Printer. I did not see that prompting in the manual. I SKIPPED that step for the same reason I did the Arduino IDE. I then manually set up the printer as shown in the manual.

Everything appears to work great on Windows 10, so the manual could be updated with that information. It currently states that it supports up to Windows 8. I bought this laptop with the sole purpose of using it for my printer and the new ones are coming with Windows 10. Just thought I would share.
Hello! Another Windows 10 user here.

1) uhmm I didn't update the driver with the one from seemecnc. It working fine so far.
2) By mistake... I installed that one. I'm using 1.0.5-r2 version of the Arduino IDE.

It seems that Windows 10 is optimized for 3D printing. It comes with a program called 3D Builder to preview .STL files. You can modify them but it sucks :P
Martín S.
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

So that is what that was when I accidentally double clicked the STL file. I thought it was part of Matter Control and that it picked up the file type. That explains it!
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Somewhat OT, but have you played with any of the "built in" 3D printing features in Win10 yet? The 3D Builder app opens STL files natively, and at the very least is useful for model repair (NetFabb is a Microsoft product now).

I remember reading a thing about Arduino drivers being baked into Windows 10, so that may explain some of the driver things that you're noticing.

As far as the spark platform and the 3MF file and snazzier things like that, I haven't stumbled across them yet. Those major 3d Printing features are why I upgraded one of my smaller machines to 10 though. Hopefully they roll those things out soon.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Along the same subject. On a clean install of win10, I didn't have to install any drivers for the smoothieboard to work either.

So far I'm liking it and it integrates nicely into a 2016 server AD domain, but I guess that's to be expected.

Return to “Troubleshooting”