Akemake Spirula Speakers

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
artexmg
Printmaster!

Re: Akemake Spirula Speakers

Post by artexmg »

Tinyhead wrote:
artexmg wrote:
Tinyhead wrote:It took a few attempts to get the print started, and I've had to shim my build plate in a few places with paper to try and get things somewhat even, but it's finally looking like it might be up to the task of doing the print.
20140623_213126.jpg
Black PLA, 0.1 layer height. I chose the small layer height because I really like the finish, but mostly because I'm going to be working a lot in the next few days and don't mind it taking a while (39hrs). Wish I had some wood filament to try out. For me this was more of a 'see if I could do it' print than anything.
Looks great!! - 39 hours x 4 shells = lots of fun! :-)
Looked great. Looked.

Mag arm owners will know. The hole at the back of the print started to get an upturned edge from the overhang. Game over. Where the fault occured, the X and Y arms were fairly horizontal, and I'm sure that was taking the edge off the magnets a bit. Probably didn't take much. That wasn't exactly a lot of overhang, so it must have been just a little lip to knock it off. On the left side of the hole, I can see that's where the nozzle hit and melted in before it got dragged all over the place.

It was so nice and smooth too. Would have looked great. I bet the wood filament looks amazing.
Oh, bummer!! ... it was getting really nice!

Well, you know fails happens. So, I had been thinking on getting Mag arms, but, now I am not so sure about that. I mean, maybe I could invest more time when trying to change the hot end, and avoid this kind of problems?

Cheers!
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Any chance of just shrinking the shell shape say 2% but adding a new part to the face which houses the speaker at the correct size? Would of course take away from the cool design but would allow it to be printed on the Rostock more easily.
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

McSlappy wrote:Any chance of just shrinking the shell shape say 2% but adding a new part to the face which houses the speaker at the correct size? Would of course take away from the cool design but would allow it to be printed on the Rostock more easily.
And take away the bragging rights? :-)

Sure, you can modify the model, however, I think the way it is is jus so beautiful, I would not try to change it :-)

Besides, IT IS printable in the rostock.
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

I just finished with the tinting work, now, it is ready to accept the speaker and all hardware (once I get them shipped! :-) )

I like it so far!
looks kind of wood-ish
looks kind of wood-ish
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

That looks familiar http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/ ... ogies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Yours look great! If I could ask, what did you use for stain and adhesive?

Finally got the positioning and rotation to get both the 3" and the 4" to fit on the RMV2. I learned a lot!

Biggest thing I found to be a problem is speed. While the body passes can be run quite fast the dithering fill when done at the extremes with an arm nearly flat is just to fast compared to the normal printing sweeps of the curves. I ended up running the first 3" shell at 25mm/sec.

Also learned that printing these with ABS was a frustrating activity even with the copper heat spreader and the PEI surface, just would not stay stuck. Changed to PLA and no problem. Now just waiting on a truckload of white PLA which Amazon should deliver today.

Thanks for the directions and photos.

nitewatchman
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

Jimustanguitar wrote:That looks familiar http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/ ... ogies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WoW, that is Beautiful!!!

Now, I want to print this as well :-)

Just need to finish this one first.
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

nitewatchman wrote:Yours look great! If I could ask, what did you use for stain and adhesive?

Finally got the positioning and rotation to get both the 3" and the 4" to fit on the RMV2. I learned a lot!

Biggest thing I found to be a problem is speed. While the body passes can be run quite fast the dithering fill when done at the extremes with an arm nearly flat is just to fast compared to the normal printing sweeps of the curves. I ended up running the first 3" shell at 25mm/sec.

Also learned that printing these with ABS was a frustrating activity even with the copper heat spreader and the PEI surface, just would not stay stuck. Changed to PLA and no problem. Now just waiting on a truckload of white PLA which Amazon should deliver today.

Thanks for the directions and photos.

nitewatchman

That is great, keep us posted with your work, all we can learn a lot one from each other.

This is what I am using for stain, it is simple and has prime and finishing (they say): http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... %20express" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
as you can see, there are a lot of colors, and is a very easy to use product.

Currently I put this project in slow lane as I am finishing the build of my new Rostock V2 (aka "Night Fury"): http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I will finish it this weekend ... I just cannot wait to put everything together!
1ggy
Printmaster!

Post by 1ggy »

Holy hell that looks awesome! I love the way the layers make it look like it has wood grain following the curve of the enclosure.
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

1ggy wrote:Holy hell that looks awesome! I love the way the layers make it look like it has wood grain following the curve of the enclosure.

Yes! it looks fantastic! :-)
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

Well, I had been busy with other projects, but, I made room to stain this baby ... it is getting there!
2014-07-31 22.18.25.jpg
2014-07-31 22.19.50-2.jpg
2014-07-31 22.25.11.jpg
Tomorrow, after all is dry, probably will need a second coat, then, electronics ... cannot wait to listen the speakers!
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

artexmg wrote:
Tomorrow, after all is dry, probably will need a second coat, then, electronics
Unless, of course, the droplit kit is released, then, it will be no time for anything else, but built the DropLit !!! :-)
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

By the way, I switched the stain product.

I used Minwax Pre-stain (after sanding) and MinWax Wood Finish. All oil based.

It worked great, just took like 2 days to dry, as the plastic does not absorb like real wood, plus, I am among those who thing that, if a little thing of something is good, then a humongous amount is better, so I poured stain like rain in the forest :-)
Gr8Scott
Printmaster!

Post by Gr8Scott »

looks really cool. how does it sound?
js1515
Plasticator

Post by js1515 »

man thats an awesome looking speaker adding that to my to do folder
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Post by Tinyhead »

That thing looks really nice stained. I never would have though to try and stain the filament afterwards, even if it was the wood type.
tc3jg
Printmaster!

Post by tc3jg »

Definitely going to be trying to print this once I stop printing with ABS.

or maybe if i can find a small speaker sitting around the house ill miniaturize it just for giggles honestly its a beautiful design just to print even if you dont use it as a speaker.

I wonder what else it could be used for.

pencil holder

candle holder

humm
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

Gr8Scott wrote:looks really cool. how does it sound?
No idea! :-)

I had all the electronics, but, at this moment I am on vacations (fishing at the Gulf Shores) while waiting the stain to dry ... so ... next week maybe? :-)
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

Tinyhead wrote:That thing looks really nice stained. I never would have though to try and stain the filament afterwards, even if it was the wood type.
I really want to try the "original" filament it was designed for, timberfill.

They say that it is "real wood" (they do not cast it between quotes, thoug :-) ) ... still not available in US :-(
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

tc3jg wrote:Definitely going to be trying to print this once I stop printing with ABS.

or maybe if i can find a small speaker sitting around the house ill miniaturize it just for giggles honestly its a beautiful design just to print even if you dont use it as a speaker.

I wonder what else it could be used for.

pencil holder

candle holder

humm
Laptop speakers!
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
martin
Noob

Post by martin »

Hi,

I wanted to download the .stl files but the Akemake website is offline.
Would it be possible that you can send me the .stl files?

Thanks,
Martin
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Eaglezsoar wrote:This is the kind of stuff that would sell if you decided to go that route.
B&W has been doing this for a long time, probably since the '80s. I used to be a dealer for their brand, and the Nautilus model is their flagship. One of those products that's not in the price book, you just have to fly out to see them if you're actually a "qualified" customer :)
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/ ... ogies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A nice read about the back-story: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Downloads ... ochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure if it's still patent protected, but I bet they'd have an interest in the commercial exclusive on that sort of design still.
Not that you can't produce the heck out of them for your own personal use! I know I want to!
Pkeaney
Noob

Post by Pkeaney »

martin wrote:Hi,

Thanks,
Martin
I also would like the stl if possible .web site is offlinePhill
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

Pkeaney wrote:
martin wrote:Hi,

Thanks,
Martin
I also would like the stl if possible .web site is offlinePhill
Sorry guys, the design is not mine, and in the past the designer, Ondra Chotvinsky, let me know that she would appreciate if I don't distribute the model (*EDIT* I mean, the STL file) :-(
jaguarking11
Printmaster!

Post by jaguarking11 »

Man I wish I could contact the owner of that design. I was looking at designing my own 3d printable speakers, but these look fantastic and would fit right in with what I need for my audio setup. Not looking for allot of power just a good design with a tube amp. Missed opportunity.
My 3D Printer Build Blog ---> http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “What are YOU making?”