Arc rector pendant

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Arc rector pendant

Post by Shizuma »

This is my latest item I decided to make, an arc rector pendant, it was printed out of protopasta stainless steel PLA at .1mm layer height, it was printed in two pieces, the inner ring, and then the remainder of the body. Here's a picture of it before any finishing, and after it was sanded, buffed, and painted, I'm gonna try making another one from more parts and using different materials, like transparent abs for the white/blue rings and try painting from the inside, and possibly getting some brass and copper filaments as well for other parts in it.
Attachments
IMAG1099.jpg
IMAG1126.jpg
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Arc rector pendant

Post by geneb »

Very nice!

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

Very cool. How was it working with that filament? Any tips?
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

mvansomeren wrote:Very cool. How was it working with that filament? Any tips?

It's not bad, though the key I've noticed is to print slow, if I try to print to fast I will occasionally hear clicking from the extruder motor itself and it will not extrude a bit, I believe the motor itself doesn't have enough torque to push the filament thru at higher speeds as it does take quite a bit of force pushing thru the nozzle by hand, however I'm also using slightly smaller of a nozzle than they recommend. On their site they recommend 215C print temp and a .5mm nozzle, I printed this with a .4mm nozzle, I also found I had less issues printing at 225C, I was adjusting the speed down on the printer itself, but at least with that nozzle I'd say 25mm/s is probably about a fast as I can printing without the extruder motor having issues.

I also do not have a layer fan on my printer as this is the first PLA based filament I've used in over a year of having the printer, I did try some prints without a fan without any issues but on this print I did put an 80mm USB fan I had next to the bed blowing across the print just to be safe.
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

Shizuma wrote:
mvansomeren wrote:Very cool. How was it working with that filament? Any tips?

It's not bad, though the key I've noticed is to print slow, if I try to print to fast I will occasionally hear clicking from the extruder motor itself and it will not extrude a bit, I believe the motor itself doesn't have enough torque to push the filament thru at higher speeds as it does take quite a bit of force pushing thru the nozzle by hand, however I'm also using slightly smaller of a nozzle than they recommend. On their site they recommend 215C print temp and a .5mm nozzle, I printed this with a .4mm nozzle, I also found I had less issues printing at 225C, I was adjusting the speed down on the printer itself, but at least with that nozzle I'd say 25mm/s is probably about a fast as I can printing without the extruder motor having issues.

I also do not have a layer fan on my printer as this is the first PLA based filament I've used in over a year of having the printer, I did try some prints without a fan without any issues but on this print I did put an 80mm USB fan I had next to the bed blowing across the print just to be safe.
Thanks for the advice. I'm always curious about the specialty filaments and what I might encounter if I were to use it for a particular print.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

That pendant you made looks great. The colors and the way they are used make it look very old.
Good job!

Return to “What are YOU making?”