Cheap MDF Enclosure with Plexiglass Door

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
jebrown21
Noob

Cheap MDF Enclosure with Plexiglass Door

Post by jebrown21 »

Hi All,

First post here, but have been reading for a few weeks. Thanks to a lot of you, I am able to build my 3d printing knowledge with my MAX V2. I keep my V2 in my bedroom, as I have little ones that would love to get there hand on it anywhere else in the house. This is right next to the window which was affecting prints just through the ambient temperature of the nearby area. I already spent a ton on upgrades, so wanted to make a budget enclosure that would do a decent job.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o24eAjX.jpg[/img]

This enclosure is made of mostly by a 4'x8' sheet of medium density fiberboard (MDF). The plexiglass on the front is from Lowe's and is a little over 5mm thick. (0.220"). I used corner braces to secure everything in place and hardware I had around the house. I have it lit with a 1400 lumen undercounter LED light which is probably overkill. This thing lights my whole room up from inside the enclosure. It is much needed though, the above picture is with the bedroom light turned on, it is very dim and was previously very hard to see the print.

All in all, the sheet of MDF cost $30 for the 4'x8', the plexiglass was $60 for the 5mm thick (I spent a little more here because one of the goals was to soundproof as much as possible). The hardware (corner brackets, hinges, screws, washers) was probably $15 tops.

I figured I would share this for anyone looking for a cheap, yet stable enclosure for their printer.

mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Re: Cheap MDF Enclosure with Plexiglass Door

Post by mvansomeren »

Any concern about the power supply and the electronics heating up because there is no cool air entering the base when completely enclosed?

I thought about doing something like this but venting the base to the outside to keep the cool air moving through the base.
Prints-a-lot

Post by Motopreserve »

This does look great.

RE: ventilation. You could probably build the bottom of the enclosure just like a larger stock one - with a hole large enough to drop (gently!!! :) ) the whole thing right down through - allowing the base of the enclosure to line up with the top of the lower printer section. In essence - build a slightly larger base section like the stock one. If the hole cut was close enough in dimension - a bit of silicone or some type of sealant could bridge any gap between printer and new base. That way the electronics would be in the open air and the business end would be in the enclosure.

Only drawback might be the noise from the power supply fan still in the room. Also, you might not be able to see the LCD from certain angles since it would be a bit recessed.
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

Motopreserve wrote:This does look great.

RE: ventilation. You could probably build the bottom of the enclosure just like a larger stock one - with a hole large enough to drop (gently!!! :) ) the whole thing right down through - allowing the base of the enclosure to line up with the top of the lower printer section. In essence - build a slightly larger base section like the stock one. If the hole cut was close enough in dimension - a bit of silicone or some type of sealant could bridge any gap between printer and new base. That way the electronics would be in the open air and the business end would be in the enclosure.

Only drawback might be the noise from the power supply fan still in the room. Also, you might not be able to see the LCD from certain angles since it would be a bit recessed.
Stop giving away my patent-pending secrets! :lol: Oh, right...we are in the open source arena...
Prints-a-lot

Post by Motopreserve »

Ha!

The only trick would be to get the cut to be the shape of the stock plate. I think here are plans floating out there somewhere though. Template would certainly help.
jebrown21
Noob

Post by jebrown21 »

I was thinking about that and bought a thermometer to keep track of the internal ambient temperature of the enclosure. So far it has been averaging about 30-32 degrees celsius. I was also thinking about cutting a hole on the top and placing a large computer fan (50mm or so) to let hot air escape.
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

Motopreserve wrote:Ha!

The only trick would be to get the cut to be the shape of the stock plate. I think here are plans floating out there somewhere though. Template would certainly help.
Take the feet off, trace the bottom, put the feet back on. Ta-Da!
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

jebrown21 wrote:I was thinking about that and bought a thermometer to keep track of the internal ambient temperature of the enclosure. So far it has been averaging about 30-32 degrees celsius. I was also thinking about cutting a hole on the top and placing a large computer fan (50mm or so) to let hot air escape.
I think your idea is the best approach. Keep track of the temperatures and only cut ventilation holes if necessary.
The temps you are seeing now is about right I think I read somewhere that the temp should be around 35 degree centigrade.
Good job on the enclosure.

Return to “What are YOU making?”