Front Speaker Wall Mount

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
Agisis
Printmaster!

Front Speaker Wall Mount

Post by Agisis »

OK, so before my RSM-V2 came in, I needed a wall mount for a very heavy round-backed center speaker in our media room. The previous home owner simply placed it on the floor and I couldn't really find the right mount for it. I decided to design one in TinkerCad and then prompted waited months until I could afford to buy the RSM-V2 so I could print it. I was very happy with the print job RSM-V2 did on my first few prints so I got brave and printed the big pieces. I had heard lots of woes about ABS peeling & warping on large objects but I somehow avoided any problems. I did use a Coarse setting of 0.35mm per layer so maybe that is why? Even small wide prints don't seem to exhibit that though. I could just be lucky. Anyway, I didn't care about it being pretty, just functional and sturdy enough to hold up this 8 pound monstrosity. Below are the pics of the design and final mounting I did today. Enjoy!
Attachments
CS1.jpg
20150816_181223.jpg
20150816_183100.jpg
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Front Speaker Wall Mount

Post by bubbasnow »

now knock some holes in those walls and hide the wires!!
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

right? The guy spent all that money on building a movie room and then put the wires coming out through a hole near the floor. It's in the wall, just completely off-center. I don't want to put a new hole in the wall but may have to do exactly that and fish it up. I hope there isn't a stud. Meh. At least the sound will be correct finally. Baby steps.
I just designed a snap-on for the Spool Holder that comes with the rostock to make it round and roll smoothly instead of making the extruder fight the sharp edges. I'll see how it prints and share if it works.
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

you could just make a channel in the drywall and Spackle over it... smooth and repaint. but i think it would be easier to just run the wires up the inside of the wall.
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

bubbasnow wrote:you could just make a channel in the drywall and Spackle over it... smooth and repaint. but i think it would be easier to just run the wires up the inside of the wall.

Much easier to run the wires in the wall. You could even get fancy. http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-103324- ... WBPSV9FEB0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

We use these all the time. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/V ... 0000000270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can install the "scoop" to point in or out depending on how flush you need the install to be.
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

Hey, those are pretty cool. I should model and print one :)
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Agisis wrote:Hey, those are pretty cool. I should model and print one :)
Do it in OpenSCAD and add it to the Wally customizer. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:47956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

Jimustanguitar wrote:We use these all the time. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/V ... 0000000270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can install the "scoop" to point in or out depending on how flush you need the install to be.
Yep, used a crap-ton of those as well. Usually when I have to run a super long hdmi cable and I don't want to add any extra connections. Super long being 200 feet. Also, that wally thing is pretty sweet!
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

Wow, good link. The Wally Thing is pretty cool! I hadn't seen that yet on Thingiverse.

Also, I have since discovered that I really just got lucky with that speaker mount print being as big as it was with ABS. I made a new print that was peeling to high heaven no matter what I did...and then I remembered to add "Mouse Ears" to the sharp corners. Viola'! Perfect corners again. When in doubt, mouse it out I guess. I'll be posting it here soon. I think I will start adding some of my stuff to Thingiverse. Kinda of nervous showing my lameness in modeling to the world, but you have to start somewhere. Those digital calipers I bought at the manuals recommendations are getting a lot of use!
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Get some PEI man!!!
*not actually a robot
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Nice design and you may want to upload it to http://repables.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “What are YOU making?”