LED light bar for print bed

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
NR0X
Plasticator

LED light bar for print bed

Post by NR0X »

railing.jpg
Here is the idea. 3 of these, holding a single piece of RGB led light strip from FleaBay. Now if I can get the blasted thing to print. It's the whole "warping/adhesion/peeling/throwing half printed parts at the cat" thing. 4th try, printing it upside down on a raft with supports. we shall see how it goes.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: LED light bar for print bed

Post by Xenocrates »

Have you gone to using PEI as a print surface? It helps a lot with adhesion (it is not a cure all though)

Beyond that, have you tried mouse ears (small single layer circles which only increase footprint), or rafts? The more surface area, the better it will hold to the bed when pulled by the same amount of force.

As far as your design, it looks neat, although personally I would prefer to have the lights on the top, to not restrict print area (the effector and layer fans will hit these for large parts)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
NR0X
Plasticator

Post by NR0X »

DAMN, YOU'RE RIGHT! Oh well.

Im on the 2nd one now, finally getting a raft to stick. I'll have to move them out and lower them a bit. It'll give me something to tinker with.

I'm still having WAY too much fun!
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

Just make the tabs that hook under the build platform longer. Don't have to worry about the back, the led strip will still work.
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
NR0X
Plasticator

Post by NR0X »

Yea, that would probably be easy enough. Here's how they turned out though..
2016-01-08 00.00.07.jpg
2016-01-08 00.01.00.jpg
In the meantime, I wont plan on printing anything too huge right now, so I'll let it be. I also thought about a short "wall" that would clip on to the base of the x and y towers, curving like the acrylic covers do. that would pull them well away from the build platform. So many ideas, so little time.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Your concept and design work is excellent but sometime in the future the effector or the arms will definitely contact the leds, messing up the print.
The leds belong at the bottom of the effector, it is about the only place to put them. Leds at the very top directing the light down would be nice.
NR0X
Plasticator

Post by NR0X »

Yea, I really should have seen that. Oh well. Live and learn, right? Sucks, cuz I really do like the way they light the platform up. And it was a great first lesson, even though the design was bad. I will continue to tinker though.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

NR0X wrote:Yea, I really should have seen that. Oh well. Live and learn, right? Sucks, cuz I really do like the way they light the platform up. And it was a great first lesson, even though the design was bad. I will continue to tinker though.
I like your attitude. Many great inventions have come about because of an attitude exactly like yours.
If at first you don't succeed - try again.
NR0X
Plasticator

Post by NR0X »

Either that, or I'm just too stubborn and impatient do what people tell me. Maybe a mix of them both.
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

NR0X wrote:Either that, or I'm just too stubborn and impatient do what people tell me. Maybe a mix of them both.
Yea, that sounds familiar!

I like your idea on attaching to the base of the columns.
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
Khalid Khattak
Printmaster!

Post by Khalid Khattak »

Gr8 idea....thanks for sharing..
NR0X
Plasticator

Post by NR0X »

So I finally needed to print something big enough for these things to get in the way, so guess what's in the trash can?

Return to “What are YOU making?”