Stryker MK II - Planetary Defense Missile Drone

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
Agisis
Printmaster!

Stryker MK II - Planetary Defense Missile Drone

Post by Agisis »

Hey everyone, long time no visit.

I've spent the last year or so working on a video game called Dominari with a friend of mine, and I've been flexing my art muscles. Specifically, I've had to come up with a crapload of icons. For the final icon, I had to come up with a "planetary defense missile system" of some sort. I struggled with how to represent this, but then I saw the movie Oblivion and thought, "Well, they put machine guns on that thing. I'm going to put missiles on mine and make it space worthy instead of air worthy".

I then set about modeling it, painting it, setting up a little cheesie studio, and then did some post edits.

Here's the model design I came up with. Just good old TinkerCad which is where I typically draft my stuff before moving it into Blender.
StrykerMKIIDraft.jpg
Here is how I split up the model. I didn't do a good job with rear exhaust and had to use my ABS putty to fix it and sand it down. You can't tell though!
readyforprint.jpg

Two pieces of wood and two hapless coat hangers later, a ladder, and a light, and I'm ready to test out the mechanics of the scene I have in my head (missile coming slightly at you, angled tilt, planet horizon in the background).
TestingThePhotoshoot.jpg
Here it is printed and ready to paint. Sanding took forever, and each half took 18hrs to print at 0.12mm, plus the missles. I then literally poured Acetone on it several times before priming it. It was nice and smooth.
ReadyToPaint.jpg

Painted and ready to go! The glow you see from the side is not LED's. It's several coats of $1.99 glow in the dark paint. I light it up really bright and snap the picture. Poor mans special effects! The thing is, I needed the correct inner lighting because that side was going to be shadow. You can't really do that with post editing so I wanted it illuminating the inner walls.
PaintedAndReadyToGo.jpg
Model is setup in the "studio", (a.k.a sitting on my ping pong table in the garage)
Pic1.jpg
Pic1.jpg (41.53 KiB) Viewed 7329 times

Here is the large post-editing result. Keep in mind the end result is a 61x61 icon with a frame for our game, so I am seeing in my head how it should look when small, not necessarily when it's large.
StrykerLarger.jpg
StrykerLarger.jpg (36.48 KiB) Viewed 7329 times
And here is the final icon. My game co-creator hasn't seen it yet, so I hope he likes it and feels it meshes well with the rest of them.
buttonTest.png
buttonTest.png (34.34 KiB) Viewed 7329 times

Here is a screen shot of our game Dominari. The new Stryker icon is at the bottom right!
GameScreen.jpg

We are hard at work to get Greenlight approval for a Steam release, (you can find out more at http://reddit.com/r/dominari) thus my lack of contributions the past year or so outside of the Elite Dangerous console post I did and also the Alien Facehugger of course. I thought ya'll would like to know that my awesome RoStock Max V2 is contributing to our game development artwork and it is a monster workhorse. This amount of effort for a 61x61 icon may have been overkill, but I don't care. I had a blast making it! The icons for the Starbase, Turret, and EPIM missile were also modeled in tinkerCad/Blender, but I haven't printed them yet. I'm debating making a soccerball size print of the Starbase model and wiring it up with fiber optics and video it "spinning" in space. That would make a cool "intro" screen to the game, again made possible by the Rostock.

Also, here in a month or two, i'll post my build for a gundam RX 78 helmet I am making for my brother. He is making a full size cosplay and is going to be putting electronics into the helmet. It's a MASSIVE build. there are 12 pieces, and each piece takes about 35 hours to print. I'm about 1/4th done with it so I got a ways to go.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Stryker MK II - Planetary Defense Missile Drone

Post by geneb »

That's pretty damn cool. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I am very tempted to buy the game just because you took the time and care for just an icon. Shows you care. Perhaps I ought to sign up for playtesting this game, if they're still open to it.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

Xenocrates wrote:I am very tempted to buy the game just because you took the time and care for just an icon. Shows you care. Perhaps I ought to sign up for playtesting this game, if they're still open to it.
We'd love to have additional playtesters. We have had a few helping us out during our alpha pre-release. It's had almost 12 months of development and playtesting, but still has quite a ways to go yet and we need players and feedback. If you would like to playtest, please let me know and I'll be happy to get you in touch with my co-creator. We're looking for people that have a RTS background in gaming mostly since that is the niche we are targeting. I hope to print some additional models and incorporate them into the game as well. I simply love to model and print things so it's a meshing of three of my favorite things. Creating graphics, coding games, and making 3d prints with my RMax v2. Life is great!

I'll message you his contact info. Feel free to email him directly if you are interested.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I actually dropped him a line on reddit when I went looking through there. So hopefully he signs me up. I was a bit surprised I was still logged into my reddit account (It's been what, 8 months or more since I had a reason to use it), but it was convenient. Thanks very much for pointing me at a game I'm starting to really look forward to.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

We are done with our game Dominari Tournament! This stryker missile icon is still in the game! :lol:

It is being released on Steam on March 8th. Check us out!
Wish us luck my CnC friends!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

That's great news Agisis! Congratulations! When it goes live you need to post again, otherwise us old folks will forget. :D :D :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
dstorer7
Prints-a-lot

Post by dstorer7 »

That is awesome work. The amount of time and patience for an Icon - Love it!
Sincerely,

Dale Storer
Rostock Max v3

Return to “What are YOU making?”