BB droid ornament

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
Shizuma
Printmaster!

BB droid ornament

Post by Shizuma »

I started this tradition last year after getting my printer of making an ornament to send in a package with cookies to my closest friend, last year it was a power star from Super Mario Bros, this year with The Force Awakens coming out I decided on the BB droid from said movie. This year I was smart though and designed it and ordered the correct filament colors so I did not have to paint it, last years star was a time sink trying to paint the green filament yellow and paint on the eyes. I tweaked all the parts fitment based on how my printer printed out the parts so I could just print and assemble them with very little prep work, mainly just a bit of cleanup here and there with an x-acto knife and a sanding block.

This is one of the completed one I've made, the only step I have left which I was waiting till I finished all the ones I was making is to give it a coat with some XTC-3D from Smooth On to fill in the layer lines and give it a more glossy appearance.
IMG_20151209_084554.jpg
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: BB droid ornament

Post by Jimustanguitar »

That looks like a neat design. Do the orange sections lock the other parts together?
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

Thanks :) Yup, they do lock the two halves of the main ball together, though I did still end up fusing them together with acetone anyways, but my first test one I didn't bother with the acetone.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Looks very nice and could be a big hit on the Christmas tree.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
tcat007
Printmaster!

Post by tcat007 »

Do you have the stl files? I only see a 1 piece BB-8 at Thinkgiverse. Looks great! Running a musicbox today for a birthday gift. Coming out OK (but getting lots of strings between pieces).

Return to “What are YOU making?”