Motorcycle grip heated bed

Check out how others are building and modding their own heated beds
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Motorcycle grip heated bed

Post by Polygonhell »

Based on a post at UW I thought I'd give it a shot.
I'm using a 7x7.5 sheet of 1/8 Aluminum, cut from a 12x12 sheet.
I attached the grip heaters to the bottom wired then in parallel, measured the resistance at about 4ohms applied 11V (don't ask), it'll hit about 80C in 20 minutes or so, which is a little cool for ABS, but more than enough for PLA.

I'll probably use it as is right now, then move to a nichrome wire solution later.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Motorcycle grip heated bed

Post by Polygonhell »

I've been using this now for a couple of days and overall I'm pretty happy with it.
It's mounted to the stock H1 table by 3 spring loaded #6 bolts, which has made leveling easier.
I have a piece of 3/16 tempered glass on top of it, no insulation underneath (though I probably should).

Running mostly PLA through it 60C for the first layer and 45 for subsequent layers, I was stunned how well I can get the first layer to stick to the heated glass, and when the glass cools the prints generally come off pretty easily.

Given the heaters are self adhesive and come with wiring, it's about as simple a solution as your likely to see.
The downside is it heats too slowly, and the peak temperature is a little low for ABS.
Doing it again I'd probably go with Nichrome as a heating element, I actually have some here, but the current solution is "good enough" for right now.
tom10122
Printmaster!

Post by tom10122 »

Nice good use of the heaters when u dont need em lol ;) If i had some on my bike I'd try that, but its a old 90s bike :(
drkow
Prints-a-lot

Post by drkow »

I had a spare set of these and attached them to the bottom of a glass sheet. they take only a few minutes to heat up to 65c.

You'll need two pairs to cover the whole bottom.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Motorcycle-H ... 056wt_1163

Return to “Heated Bed How-To's”