Meanwell fan swap

Check out how others are building and modding their own heated beds
noventix
Printmaster!

Meanwell fan swap

Post by noventix »

I have been slowly working to upgrade my V2 and the first item on the list was a 24V power supply. As per many recommendations here, I bought the Meanwell. Someone mentioned how loud they are so I decided to have a look inside. The internal fan is a 60mm Sunon. I replaced it with a 60mm cheap fan from Amazon (gdstime? who the heck are they?). But it claimed a low dBA rating.

I finally managed to get all the pieces in place and ran the heating bed long enough for the fan to kick in. And...it is quiet. I have two 80mm Cooler Master fans in the base, and I had to strain to hear the new Meanwell fan above those fans.

Now to be fair - I never heard the previous fan running so can't compare, but I am very pleased with how quiet this is overall. One note - I did install the foam mounting pads that came with the fan, which I suspect help a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1 ... UTF8&psc=1
Rostock Max V2. E3D V6 Hotend. E3D Titan Extruder. TrickLaser Carbon Fiber 300mm Arms. TrickLaser MaxMetal Platform. TrickLaser Trick Trucks. TrickLaser Heat Spreader. TrickLaser LED Light Ring. MeanWell SP-500-24. Simplify3D.
CodonExe
Printmaster!

Re: Meanwell fan swap

Post by CodonExe »

What amp rating did you end up going with?
Rostock Max V2, Duet Wifi, IR Probe, PanelDue 7" LCD, Heated Enclosure, Firestop cans, Thermally Fused 12v E3D V6, Berd Air, Floating Thermally fused 24v Bed, Aluminum heat spreader, PEI, Dual 12v PSUs in series.
noventix
Printmaster!

Re: Meanwell fan swap

Post by noventix »

I got the 20A model. Here is a link to a description on Mouser...

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mea ... 2bVg%3D%3D

Ran a test this morning and it took just under 3 minutes to get to 90 degrees. Nice!
Rostock Max V2. E3D V6 Hotend. E3D Titan Extruder. TrickLaser Carbon Fiber 300mm Arms. TrickLaser MaxMetal Platform. TrickLaser Trick Trucks. TrickLaser Heat Spreader. TrickLaser LED Light Ring. MeanWell SP-500-24. Simplify3D.

Return to “Heated Bed How-To's”