DIY Custom nichrome wire heated bed

Check out how others are building and modding their own heated beds
michaellatif
Printmaster!

DIY Custom nichrome wire heated bed

Post by michaellatif »

Here is my design (basic and common to others) for a custom nichrome wire heated bed for the H-1.
Most of the parts are available through a few sources and at your LHS.

Required parts to build heated bed:
  1. Nichrome wire x1 (sold per 5 foot section - ultimachine.com for $3.50 USD)
  2. 6"x6"x1/8" aluminium plate x1 (McMaster-Carr part number 88685K1 for $5.68 USD)
  3. 18"x6"x1/32 aluminium plate x1 (LHS - Home Depot ~$7.00 USD)
  4. 12"x6"x1/8" birch plywood (Found at your LHS or Michaels/Jo-Ann's/Art shops ~$4.00 USD)
  5. 6"x6"x1/8" heat-resistant borosilicate glass (McMaster-Carr part number 8476K161 for $13.58 USD)
  6. Copper wire (~24awg solid core is recommended)
  7. Thermistor - pick your favorite
  8. Kapton tape (several sizes will help with assembly - E-Bay)
  9. flat head phillips screws, lock-nuts and washers, M3 Size, 30mm Length x4 (any size will do, this is what I had on hand. Note the lock-nuts are important, they make keeping the bed together and leveling it easier)
I am putting together instructions on how to assemble the heated bed and will post later this weekend.
Also, I will add instructions on how to mount the heated bed to the H-1

Heated bed specifications:
  • Surface area: 6"x6"
  • Resistance of attached nichrome wire: ~3.0 Ohms
  • Voltage bed is run at: 12 Volts
  • Current consumed: ~3.8 Amps
  • Max bed temperature: 247F (non-insulated)
  • Time it took to heat to 200F: 11 minutes
Assembly of HPB:
  • Cut the 1/32" aluminum sheet into three equal 6x6 inch squares OR just cut off a 6x6 inch section for this purpose
  • Cut the 1/8" birch plywood sheet into 6x6 inch sections
  • Cut the nichrome wire into three 14-15" sections
  • Bend nichrome wire into U shape, leave one leg about .25-.5" longer then the other - the size of the bottom of the U is approximately 1.5"
  • Start by taping the middle of the three nichrome wires using kapton tape
    Note: I built my HPB so that the three wires run in parallel giving me a resistance of approx 3Ohms (each 12" section is about 8Ohms) running at 12V/3.5Amps - You can decide to run them in series if you want, but in parallel, the HPB heats up faster.
  • Continue by taping the remaining two nichrome wires - Its important to leave the tips of the wires exposed for attaching the copper wire!
  • Expose ~1/2-3/4" of an inch of the nichrome wire - this is difficult because the coating is adhered well - be careful because the wire can be damaged! Repeat for each end
    Note: I did this by using an exacto knife run along the wire - with my thumb pinching the oppisite side. This technicque works well but if you are not careful you could cut yourself!
  • Now attach the copper wire to three of the six nichrome wire leads
    Note: I use wire wrapping technique for this, in the past I have use brass crimps
  • Use kapton tape to cover the copper wire
  • Use a DMM to test resistance, you should read ~3 Ohms - if you read higher, check your DMM, sometimes the DMM leads add 2-3Ohms.
  • Repeat for second copper wire (remaining 3 nichrome wire leads)
  • Now tape your thermistor to the center of the HPB and feed the leads out along the copper wire
    Note: At this point I taped ALL of the sheet with kapton tape, this is optional, but assures me that everything is insulated well
  • Make a cut out/recess for your thermistor and leads in your 1/8" birch plywood (see picture for details)
    Note: This is necessary only if your thermistor/leads protrude too far as mine did
  • Place second aluminum sheet on top of birch plywood and build plate
  • Drill four holes in the corners of the bed, mine are 3/4" in from the edges
    Note: I used binder clips to help hold everything together while I drilled the holes
  • Use bolts and lock-nuts to hold the sandwich of aluminum/birch/thinner aluminum together
At this point I tested the HPB, seems to work well, equal heating and can handle high temps without issue.

Next will be mounting and leveling (to be continued).
IMG_0345.JPG
IMG_0346.JPG
IMG_0347.JPG
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG
IMG_0352.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG
IMG_0356.JPG
Below are more pictures of the heated bed assembled and being tested.
Last edited by michaellatif on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:48 am, edited 7 times in total.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Re: DIY Custom nichrome wire heated bed

Post by michaellatif »

IMG_0357.JPG
IMG_0360.JPG
IMG_0361.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG
It took about 11 minutes to heat to 200F. I left the heated bed on and it continued to climb, got up to about 247F and struggled to go beyond that. When I attach the bed to the H-1, I will have insulation below the bed that will help retain heat and drive that temp higher!
Mike Latif
H-1 #3

Return to “Heated Bed How-To's”