110VAC Bed Heater

Check out how others are building and modding their own heated beds
jlmccuan
Printmaster!

110VAC Bed Heater

Post by jlmccuan »

Has anyone worked with doing a heated bed using line voltage rather than from the power supply?
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: 110VAC Bed Heater

Post by Jimustanguitar »

One of the guys at The MakerHive hooked up a pancake skillet to his 3/8" slab of aluminum. He brags about heating up in seconds instead of minutes :)
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

Low voltage DC is a lot safer for to work with than line voltage, but any method of making heat will work so long as you can accurately control that heat.

Search for "silicone heater pad" if you're looking for heaters to attach to a build plate. They come in many shapes, sizes, voltages and wattages.
precision
Plasticator

Post by precision »

I picked up a 300mm 500W AC silicone mat with a thermastor off Ebay, mounted it to a 300mm aluminum disk and am using a Fostek SSR to drive it from the Rambo. So far it works great room temp to 110C in under 3 minutes. I just have to figure out a nice way of mounting it to the snowflake and get another sheet of PEI to complete the build.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

precision wrote:I picked up a 300mm 500W AC silicone mat with a thermastor off Ebay, mounted it to a 300mm aluminum disk and am using a Fostek SSR to drive it from the Rambo. So far it works great room temp to 110C in under 3 minutes. I just have to figure out a nice way of mounting it to the snowflake and get another sheet of PEI to complete the build.
Mind sharing the link? Was it sold for 3D printing, or was it an automotive heater or something like that?
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

Jimustanguitar wrote:
precision wrote:I picked up a 300mm 500W AC silicone mat with a thermastor off Ebay, mounted it to a 300mm aluminum disk and am using a Fostek SSR to drive it from the Rambo. So far it works great room temp to 110C in under 3 minutes. I just have to figure out a nice way of mounting it to the snowflake and get another sheet of PEI to complete the build.
Mind sharing the link? Was it sold for 3D printing, or was it an automotive heater or something like that?

I am guessing it is this: http://www.amazon.com/KEENOVO-Circular- ... B00NXXJEU8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
precision
Plasticator

Post by precision »

TFMike wrote:
Jimustanguitar wrote:

I am guessing it is this: http://www.amazon.com/KEENOVO-Circular- ... B00NXXJEU8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep, that is the same one I picked up.

Return to “Heated Bed How-To's”