Twisted Savonius

Post your streaming time/info here, so people know when you're printing live
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Twisted Savonius

Post by Mac The Knife »

After seeing how well SeeMeCNC's Dropcam worked, I had to have one,,,,, Here I'm printing the first of three sections of a Savonius style wind turbine. Been always wanting to make one,,,, and now I can, and still get my lawn mowed. No pencil or paper was wasted in the design of this, just good old seat of the pants engineering. And Solidworks.
Last edited by Mac The Knife on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Twisted Savonius

Post by Mac The Knife »

Currently printing the second of four sections of a larger diameter turbine, 8" diameter, by 4" tall. Repetier claims it will take 13 hours to print,,,,, add about 6 more hours to the total.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Gone live again with another vertical turbine,,,
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Lack of bed adhesion, 5 percent infill, and "only infill where needed" not so good combination.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Trying again,,,, with black pla. PLA is evil. Long live ABS. .7 tip, .5 layer height, .75 layer width, and I started running an extrusion temperature of 200C, but every time the extruder kicked back, I would increase the temp 5C. It's currently printing at 270C.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

I love pla! LOL
270c. What hot end you running? It's rare for me to go over 180 with pla...
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Semi-Stock hot end. The PLA is black from SeeMeCNC. When I say semi-stock, it has two 40 watt ceramic heaters, and a ceramic heat break instead of the PEEK. I'm still getting some kickback on the extruder drive. But like I stated earlier, I started at 200C, and worked my way up 5C at a time.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

270C displayed, I've determined with a thermocouple that the actual temperature is 8% lower then that.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

still though, thats really really hot for pla. I think I would be looking for something somewhere....
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Do you still have a Teflon liner in the Hotend?
If not, it's probably jamming.

Increasing the temperature increases the size of the transition zone, which might let you get away with it if you get hot enough, because PLA drops in viscocity as temperature increases. But at some point you're going to burn the plastic.

As an aside I haven't bought any recently but the PLA I bought from see me was about on par with thee cheap Chinese crap I won't buy.
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Polygonhell wrote:As an aside I haven't bought any recently but the PLA I bought from see me was about on par with thee cheap Chinese crap I won't buy.
Was kinda my experience also, it seemed to have a lot of filler in it.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Polygonhell wrote:Do you still have a Teflon liner in the Hotend?
If not, it's probably jamming.

Increasing the temperature increases the size of the transition zone, which might let you get away with it if you get hot enough, because PLA drops in viscocity as temperature increases. But at some point you're going to burn the plastic.

As an aside I haven't bought any recently but the PLA I bought from see me was about on par with thee cheap Chinese crap I won't buy.
I'm still running the liner. It does soften at 275C but i haven't had it cause a failure yet. It does deform, the piece that was in the hotend when the nylon jam occurred has a smaller ID, and only the 1.65 line will go through it easily, not the 1.75 filament.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2

Return to “Live Stream Announcments”