17%
Other
9%

Total votes: 239

johnoly99
Printmaster!

Rostock MAX purchase poll

Post by johnoly99 »

We'd love to hear your feedback on why you chose the Rostock MAX kit, take a minute to submit your response, it's much appreciated!
If you chose other, please explain. Any other comments/suggestions just reply to the topic here

Thanks guys
cope413
Printmaster!

Re: Rostock MAX purchase poll

Post by cope413 »

My other is "all of the above" + value.
Fellow Philosophy majors unite!

"The proverbial achilles heel of property monistic epiphenomenalism is the apparent impossibility of ex-nihilo materialization of non-structural and qualitatively new causal powers."
lordbinky
Printmaster!

Post by lordbinky »

The rostock max was my first 3D printer. I selected it based off of the potential precision as a requisite for my initial list, then the the build volume for the price as the deciding factor. I'm glad I went with it. I think the alternative I was down to was an Airwolf 3D XL. Regardless of how I came to my decision I still think I made the best choice.
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

I Selected the Rostock Max for several reasons:

1) I wanted a Delta 3D printer, SeeMeCNC had the best kit at the time
2) Rostock Max had the largest build volume of all printers in my price range ($1000 and under)
3) SeeMeCNC had a solid reputation and a large community forum (better than my previous experience building a RepRap!)
4) The Rostock design was already 8-9 months old, it appeared to be a relatively stable design (much better build design than my Prusa i2 experience!)

Most of my complaints about the Rostock Max have already been fixed apparently according to my recent review of GeneB's new assembly manual. Really wish I had waited about 6 months longer before buying the kit. Oh well, live and learn. Maybe I'll buy an Orion off you guys next year!
(No trees were killed to post this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.)
wildideas1
Printmaster!

Post by wildideas1 »

I chose the Seemecnc products with 2 things in mind 1st the ability to prototype my ideas for my company and 2nd the ability to say I did that in my basement and yes to just sit and watch it run for hours.

My first purchase was the H-1 that my 9yr old son and i built 2 yrs ago and have tons of protos built and now in production the H-1 will become my sons xmass present this year he spent lots of hours in the build time and has learned how to use sketchup and autodesk is his new learning curve.

our latest father/son effort was the Rostock and that has been a blast to build Genes manual was awesome and we were the lottery winners on the setup and calibration it was dead on. our learning curve is now software not machine. price was awesome but the build volume for me and prototyping was the reason for going to the Rostock. on our 8th print i ran a 36hr print at 32hrs the bowden connector failed but the print that was done was 99% perfect and proved my design so that i could move forward with production.

my Rostock is full stock unit and it the bomb.!!!! and Seemecnc guys and gals Rock on customer service.!!!!
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

I chose the Rostock for two reasons. First, the build volume is really nice. Second, it's simply more novel, and I like novel. Cartesian is already extremely well understood. There are hundreds of variants out there and many thousands of one-off designs. It's already been done. The vast majority of problems have already been solved. Delta robots have been around since the late '80s AFAIK but they are really new in open source 3D printing. That means there are new trails to blaze. When I was a kid my computer only had 256K RAM. It was very challenging to write programs for it, but I loved it. This is just more of the same.

If you're looking for selling points, the kit format is actually a huge plus for someone who wants to make a living working with 3D printers and other CNC machines. It forced me to (very painfully, at times) build a skillset that I didn't have before, from scratch. Previously, I never built anything in my life except for some Ikea furniture. The most mechanical thing I ever did was changing spark plugs. Now, I can do this. Everyone who comes in and sees it in action is impressed with how cool it looks, and with the fact that I built it rather than some mechanical engineer who knows everything about machines. While there was some aggravation, figuring out difficult problems is part of what I came for, and that aggravation has paid off well because now I have a well-developed skillset that will serve me for years. What seemed very difficult before is now "easy."
JohnStack
Printmaster!

Post by JohnStack »

I didn't know anything or have any comparison. I looked for three things: build volume, speed, and docs/community. On those three things, I gave it the highest marks.

As time went on, the community and customer support increased in importance and, again, in both, I give it the highest marks.

I have two Rostock Max printers. One sees some infrequent use and the other is still awaiting assembly.

(Hope this helps.)
Technologist, Maker, Willing to question conventional logic
http://dropc.am/p/KhiI1a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuperDave42
Plasticator

Post by SuperDave42 »

I'm set my sights on the Rostock Max because:

Kit form price allows me entry into this field for a home printer.
Design ( what can I say ? the Delta format is so darn SCI-FI looking !! I love it.)
Potential Resolution 20-50 micron possibility sounds amazing ( the journey to try and achieve that res seems fun)
Build Volume ( I saw the Orion Delta first and was bummed out for a week about the build volume until I found there was the Max KIT lol )

Best of all SUPPORT ! this forum looks awesome and after reading a lot of replies form patient helpful members, I can see that I will enjoy being a part of this comunity

Dave
"I see" said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw
brent
Printmaster!

Post by brent »

SuperDave42 wrote:I'm set my sights on the Rostock Max because:

Kit form price allows me entry into this field for a home printer.
Design ( what can I say ? the Delta format is so darn SCI-FI looking !! I love it.)
Potential Resolution 20-50 micron possibility sounds amazing ( the journey to try and achieve that res seems fun)
Build Volume ( I saw the Orion Delta first and was bummed out for a week about the build volume until I found there was the Max KIT lol )

Best of all SUPPORT ! this forum looks awesome and after reading a lot of replies form patient helpful members, I can see that I will enjoy being a part of this comunity

Dave
I hope you end up purchasing a Rostock max and joining our community.
int2str
Printmaster!

Post by int2str »

ORION user here, so didn't vote.

Reasons for ORION:
- Build volume/price ratio
- Thought Delta design was less hassle than cartesian (LOL)

Still like the delta design a lot, even so it's ultimately more fickle.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

Why'd you have to go and make it a "pick one"?

For me it was "other" because these three equally:
- build volume
- speed
- deltas are kewl.

Kit? nah, sorry, would have seriously looked at a prebuilt but not the Orion because it didn't have the volume. Community? Not at purchase time, didn't know about it - but I would recommend now on the back of this forum.
Flateric
Printmaster!

Post by Flateric »

I voted "other" because my choice would be all of the above.
"Now you see why evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

I had to vote other as well. For me it was a matter of cost and build volume, plus I didn't want a wooden box printer or be limited on materials I could print.
I have had my max for awhile now and have been very very happy with it. It's bone stock and kicks Ass!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
Sandtoe
Plasticator

Post by Sandtoe »

I was brand new to 3D printing when I checked into them in early January. Ordered 3D printing for Dummies off Amazon and read it cover to cover. From there I felt I was informed. Spent a weekend trolling the internet. Noticed a lot of machines were out of stock. Bid on Printrbot and let it go when it when over the webpage price. Looked at MarkerFarm for a $600 machine for 6x6 print. I new from the dummies book that a Delta printer was one of the better designs. Found SeemeCNC. Like good but expensive. Called the number during business hours - no answer. Moved on. More reading and more confusion found 3dsupplyworld. They had one in stock to ship that day. Ok, done deal - typical consumer.

Alight why did I choose it. I'll plagiarize another's answer as it summed it up very well.
2) Rostock Max had the largest build volume of all printers in my price range ($1000 and under)
3) SeeMeCNC appeared to have a good reputation
4)The Rostock design was already 8-9 months old, it appeared to be a relatively stable design.

Built it in a week. Have been printing ever since. I get terrific prints and have not had much if any calibration issues. THe build instructions although they had too many options for me to fully understand at the time of the build were indeed straight forward. I have been printing ABS but bought it for PLA. My PLA arrived but just been having fun with ABS at the moment. I haven't changed any settings in the firmware - straight load from seemecnc and I don't think any issues. You can see print examples on thingaverse under sandtoe. I have read the post on kronos robotics about the rostock max and when I read it I was thinking, oh no, did I make a mistake. Nope, I haven't had any of those issues. I was thinking I might try a different head for a while but no I like this one so far. The easy extruder I can see is a very positive improvement and at .8mm retraction I don't have many threads hanging in-between multi object prints. Alright enough rambling from the newbie - Thank you seemecnc, after building this printer and seeing the precision I can duplicate time and again I am very impressed in the engineering that created simplicity of design and an easy build. plus it is great fun to watch.
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

Sandtoe wrote:I was brand new to 3D printing when I checked into them in early January. Ordered 3D printing for Dummies off Amazon and read it cover to cover. From there I felt I was informed. Spent a weekend trolling the internet. Noticed a lot of machines were out of stock. Bid on Printrbot and let it go when it when over the webpage price. Looked at MarkerFarm for a $600 machine for 6x6 print. I new from the dummies book that a Delta printer was one of the better designs. Found SeemeCNC. Like good but expensive. Called the number during business hours - no answer. Moved on. More reading and more confusion found 3dsupplyworld. They had one in stock to ship that day. Ok, done deal - typical consumer.

Alight why did I choose it. I'll plagiarize another's answer as it summed it up very well.
3) SeeMeCNC appeared to have a good reputation
4)The Rostock design was already 8-9 months old, it appeared to be a relatively stable design.

Built it in a week. Have been printing ever since. I get terrific prints and have not had much if any calibration issues. THe build instructions although they had too many options for me to fully understand at the time of the build were indeed straight forward. I have been printing ABS but bought it for PLA. My PLA arrived but just been having fun with ABS at the moment. I haven't changed any settings in the firmware - straight load from seemecnc and I don't think any issues. You can see print examples on thingaverse under sandtoe. I have read the post on kronos robotics about the rostock max and when I read it I was thinking, oh no, did I make a mistake. Nope, I haven't had any of those issues. I was thinking I might try a different head for a while but no I like this one so far. The easy extruder I can see is a very positive improvement and at .8mm retraction I don't have many threads hanging in-between multi object prints. Alright enough rambling from the newbie - Thank you seemecnc, after building this printer and seeing the precision I can duplicate time and again I am very impressed in the engineering that created simplicity of design and an easy build. plus it is great fun to watch.
Sounds like my story, all stock here as well and havent had to tweek anything in the firmware....My print head has been fine as well, but Im going to switch to the E3D so I can give the trimmer line a whirl.. Oh yea, and when the new R3 comes out ill be ordering one, It will be my "Delta Star" :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

int2str wrote:ORION user here, so didn't vote.

Reasons for ORION:
- Build volume/price ratio
- Thought Delta design was less hassle than cartesian (LOL)

Still like the delta design a lot, even so it's ultimately more fickle.
I must agree that the design is more fickle but I have hopes that as the technology becomes
more mature the fickleness will disappear. ( I can dream can't I ).
mven42
Noob

Post by mven42 »

This will be my first printer. I wanted a delta for the volume. I picked the MAX because it's a kit and I wanted to build it : )
Tonkabot
Printmaster!

Post by Tonkabot »

Other, because all of the above were pretty equal in my decision.

I had to get my girlfriend to cancel an order for the makerbot replicator 2, because while I wanted one, I had not done my homework yet.

I was seriously interested in the Kossel or Kossel Pro, but I could not find an active community. That is important to me because it is clearly required to have support. Some day I'll be able to sit at my desk and click on a solid model and 'print to 3d printer #1', and then later go pick my part out of the pile of prints that had been done that day by printer #1 in the other room or at the office. A perfect part. I can see that we are years away from that day and without an active community getting even what is available now to print well is impossible without community.
PopolZ
Printmaster!

Post by PopolZ »

I haven't voted because I bought an Orion as it came assembled but now I'm ready to overlook the hassle of assembling the Max for the build volume.

I've been adding and deleting it from my cart for the past couple of weeks... I'm trying so hard to justify spending another 1500-1700$ for a printer (exchange rate + shipping + customs).
Orion Delta Printer
3 Axis CNC router + rotary axis
Craftex B2229 Lathe/Mill combo
RAMTechRob
Printmaster!

Post by RAMTechRob »

Yeah, it looks like I will be buying a Max kit in the next few weeks. I don;t want the hassle of the kit, but I really like my Delta Orion so far. I need more volume now though.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

RAMTechRob wrote:Yeah, it looks like I will be buying a Max kit in the next few weeks. I don;t want the hassle of the kit, but I really like my Delta Orion so far. I need more volume now though.
I also have the Orion plus 2 V1 Maxes, I print all the small stuff on the Orion because it does such a great job but its capacity is its limiting factor. To do any
serious printing you need the capacity of the Max series. And they are not that hard to build, just time consuming when you'd rather be printing with it.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
muvicado
Plasticator

Post by muvicado »

I originally saw one on CraigsList and was thinking of buying it. Then I saw you could by them as a kit and that seemed like a better idea. I want to know as much as I can about my printer, so building it just made sense. Then there was the design - I don't know why but the Delta is just cooler than a cartesian arrangement. The huge build volume, while it's nice, will probably never benefit me. Everything I want to make is at most an inch or two high. You never know, having the headroom might come in handy some day. And I like the large round heated bed. Then when I discovered that SeeMeCNC was in my back yard (well, 20 miles away) I was sold. I like doing business in person.

No regrets - building it was a lot of fun. It works great, and looks really cool.

http://instagram.com/p/pJu3BAQwPl/
Mike B
Printmaster!

Post by Mike B »

I chose to go with the Rostock Max V2 for a lot of reasons but the main ones were:
1) I wanted the ability to get parts and upgrades easily also it's open-source (read:it's not a Makerbot)
2) I love the Delta design
3) Availabile in kit form so I knew how to repair it when it broke and exactly how it works
4) price for resolution and build volume were the best on the market
5) last, but not least, I am happy to support fellow Hoosiers
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

I scooped up my MAX v2 kit because I felt it was time I get a hold on a new way to make things that could potentially make my life easier. I just get this feeling I can do great things with it provided I hone my 3d modeling skills. A 3d printer can only be as good as the model you slice and feed it. And that's assuming perfect functioning. Similar to what many "other" voters have said, I bought it as a small mix of all the above. The price point with the sheer size of the build volume, plus the allure of it being a kit to assemble, I just couldn't possibly stay away!
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

My "other(s)" were
a) The manual. Reading that BEFORE ordering really convinced me that all the bits would fit together and "probably" work.
b) This forum. In particular the constructive criticism given on... THE MANUAL !
and of course the spirit in which Gene received and used it.
c) Price, "under $1K" being yet another one of those weird psych barriers (-:
d) Build volume. Bigger is sometimes better, though I had some reservations that precision/accuracy might suffer with long travel & long drive path.
e) Precision of laser cut parts, the alternative being my lack of (ply)wood working "skills" )-;
f) OK, I'll admit it - polar coordinates vs Cartesian - - seemed kinda off-beat - - it APPEALED to me (-:

Return to “General Announcments”