ramsey SMD1 overheating

All about the retired, first generation H-1 3D printers
gadgetjon
Plasticator

ramsey SMD1 overheating

Post by gadgetjon »

I got my ramsey SMD1 to drive my extruder, but it (the ramsey) overheats in less than 10 seconds and shuts down. I've disconnected it from the 3-axis board and now I'm just using the ramsey board for troubleshooting. I've tried jumpering pins 1 and 2 for low power mode and then the stepper just stutters back and forth. Without the jumper, the stepper moves fine, both directions, speed control works, but then the MC3479 chip gets too hot to touch and the stepper stops moving. any suggestions on what's wrong with my ramsey smd1?

I think I've got version 1.0 hardware, before the easydriver board.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: ramsey SMD1 overheating

Post by Eaglezsoar »

I would like to apologize that no one has answered you your post in a very long time. It is not that you are being ignored, its just that your equipment is legacy and
very few of our members have any familiarity with it. I am not sure even where to send you for help except John at [email protected] may have some ideas for
you and you should contact him and ask for help. I truly believe that the members of this forum are responsive, helpful individuals but the legacy h-1 equipment is
something that that most members have never heard of. I truly wish for you to find the help you need and I think that John at the location listed above can help you.
gadgetjon
Plasticator

Post by gadgetjon »

thanks Eaglezsoar, I've already worked with Ramsey tech support and they were quick to respond but ultimately not helpful. I'll probably just go with an easydriver.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

For something like $35 shipped (eBay) you can swap the entire electronics for an Arduino based RAMPS system that will control motion, extruder, heated bed control and temperatures plus have extra ports for other uses. I've converted both my H1 and H1-1 and have not looked back!

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “H-1 3D Printers”