H-1.1 Extruder Tube?

All about the retired H-1.1 3D Printers
Loren
Plasticator

H-1.1 Extruder Tube?

Post by Loren »

The H-1.1 Kit that I recieved had the extruder hotend already assembled (yeah!) -- but in the bag with it was a clear (more or less) tube. What am I supposed to do with that tube? Is it for insulating the wires (specifically, the termistor wires, I assume)? Or is it part of the guide path for the filament? Or is it surplused from the H-1 due to modifications for the H-1.1?
Thanks.
Loren
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Re: H-1.1 Extruder Tube?

Post by michaellatif »

The extra PTFE tube is for you to use if you decide to use 3mm filament. The installed PTFE tube (a set of two tubes, 3mm inside 4mm tube) is meant to be used with 1.75mm filament.
One thing to note, the installed 4mm PTFE tube has a slit down the side to allow for expansion to allow the smaller PTFE tube to fit inside.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

Straight out of the H1-1 printer kit description: http://shop.seemecnc.com/H-11-3D-Printer-Kit-71698.htm
We are also bringing you another first in the 3d printing world, a hot-end that can use either 1.75 OR 3mm filament! We send you the teflon liner to set it up either way, and simply unscrewing the nozzle and sliding in a different liner tube, and loosening one bolt and sliding the extruder over sets you up for the other size!
I didn't completely understand the one bolt thing until I'd mostly assembled the extruder. It just shifts the whole assembly so you're using the other set of grooves in the pinch wheels.
Loren
Plasticator

Post by Loren »

Thanks, Mike & Eric -- I hadn't correlated that comment in the kit description with what I received -- and wasn't courageous enough to try taking the hotend apart to see where it might go! Since I'm starting with 1.75mm filament, I'll ignore it for now. :)
Loren
Loren
Plasticator

Post by Loren »

To come back to this (for my future reference) -- the note above says "a 4mm tube" for 3mm filament, and a nested pair of "3mm inside 4mm" tubes for 1.75mm filament. I assume those are both inside diameters (ID)? And is the inner one of the pair really 3mm, or is it 2mm ID? I ask because SeeMeCNC sells PTFE tubing in 4mm and 2mm ID sizes ... but not 3mm ... so it seems they would be pairing 2mm and 4mm for the nested pair. Just trying to make sure I know what's in there before I *really* need to know!
Thanks.
Loren
vaporlock
Plasticator

Post by vaporlock »

I am still a little confused by the tubing. Does it go inside the hotend? I took mine apart and there's nothing in there. I've had trouble with clogging and low output so maybe that is why. The tubes are the right length to go inside the hotend so that's where the appropriate one belongs right?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Yes, the tube goes inside the hotend to guide the filament. This provides a low friction guide that minimizes friction inside the barrel and can handle the heat of the hot end. If you are running 3mm filament you use ONLY the larger OD tube that is 6mm OD and 4mm ID. If you are running 1.75mm filament you next the smaller diameter tube that is 4mm OD and 2mm ID inside the larger diameter tube and insert the nested assembly into the hot end. It's actually a clever way to handle 3 and 1.75mm filament with stock teflon tubing. Note that the 6mm OD tube that comes pre-cut with the kits and hotend has a slit down its side. That's to make it easy/possible to slide the 4mm OD tubing for the 1.75mm filament inside it. If you are only printing with 3mm filament and purchase 6mm OD/4mm ID tubing by the foot, you do not have to cut this slit.

Cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “H-1.1 3D Printers”