Newbie Build Questions

All about the retired H-1.1 3D Printers
radman
Noob

Newbie Build Questions

Post by radman »

Hello all,

I am building an H1.1 with Rambo Board. I will be using Repetier host for control.

I have a few newbe type questions that I hope someone might help me with.

1) Should I still use Johnoly99's Github Firmware "Marlin-for Rambo" ?

2) As I understand it for a home position of (0,0,0) X Limit switch should be mounted on left of bed, Z should be at bottom of Z linear rail. Does Y switch mount on front or rear of bed ?

3) I have wired all stepper motors the same and all appear to be turning the wrong direction. What is the recommended approach to change motor direction ?

Thanks
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Re: Newbie Build Questions

Post by johnoly99 »

Hey there Radman, johnoly99 here. Yes sir, go ahead and use that firmware on your machine. First off, you are correct with the X and Z endstops. For the Y, you want it on the back of the bed, that way when the machine "homes" the nozzle will be in the front-left conrer of the table (facing you), and your Z endstop should be adjustable so you can set it to zero on the build surface you will be printing on (use a piece of paper to set the nozzle height to 0)

Can't wait to see some pics!

Enjoy
CrazyE
Plasticator

Post by CrazyE »

Hi folks,

I’m also at this point in the build – mounting switches, running wires, and wondering how the software will play with all this.

I’m not so good at C programming, but I did venture a look at the Marlin/Rambo firmware. In the mechanical settings section of configuration.f there is a place to define the switches as being at min or max travel, and another to invert the direction.

Does it work to put the switch in the “wrong” place (top of Z for example), define as max, and invert the direction? Or does this print the object upside down?

I’m thinking I’d like to have the “at rest” machine position with the nozzle up, print platform out towards me, and don’t care about X. That way I can get at the work surface without too much stuff in the way, and the nozzle away from the print area.

Thoughts? Comments? Thanks!
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

Hey there. You can set the switches for home wherever you want. Make sure the endstops are hooked up to the board so the pins will be correct, and adjust your dirmware settings. Repetier host under config-printer shape lets you specify at max or min, as well as table size etc....
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

There is at lest one gotcha if you mix min and max endstops for homing and you don't have all of the endstops connected for one of the directions.
Basically In configuration.h marlin only allows you to disable min or max as a group, and it will get false positives on the unconnected endstops while homing. You can either put jumpers on the unconnected endstop connectors or you can disable the unused endstops by setting the pins to -1 in pins.h.

You will know if you have the above issue if when you home the axis doesn't back off the endstop and reapproach it at a reduced speed.

Return to “H-1.1 3D Printers”