Repetier Firmware and the SD Card Reader

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
jetpad
Printmaster!

Repetier Firmware and the SD Card Reader

Post by jetpad »

I've got Polygonhell's version of the Repetier firmware and because of many frustrating crashes of the Repetier-Host, I started trying to print from the SD card. To do that, I copied the gcode file directly to the card from my machine, put the SD card in the printer, and select the file to print it using the LCD menus. A percentage % printed starts displaying on the LCD but the machine doesn't actually do anything. Is anyone else successfully printing from the SD card? Is there anything special that needs to be done?
MorbidSlowBurn
Printmaster!

Re: Repetier Firmware and the SD Card Reader

Post by MorbidSlowBurn »

Is the percentage printed increasing or staying at 0? If it is staying at 0, the printer is waiting for both the hotend and heated bed to reach temperature. Once they hit the temperature in the Gcode they will begin to print. If the percentage is increasing I don't know the answer.

What OS are you using with repetier host and what version of it?

Edit: I always transfer the files to my SD card then mount the card on the printer. I then print from it exclusively. I will keep my laptop connected but only to monitor temperatures.
Last edited by MorbidSlowBurn on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jetpad
Printmaster!

Post by jetpad »

It's increasing by a percent every couple seconds on a 4 MB file. I'm on OSX but when I'm trying to print from the SD card it isn't attached to the computer.
jetpad
Printmaster!

Post by jetpad »

I'm using version 0.55 of Repetier-Host and the Polygonhell's version of the firmware is 0.81
I'd pre-heated the extruder and the bed before I started trying to print.
chosetec
Noob

Post by chosetec »

Is there a set of basic instructions on how to print from an SD card with gcode on it? The LCD instructions I've found seem to only cover installation.

I got the LCD / SD reader upgrade in the hopes that my Rostock can print independently, without a computer hooked up to it (except to upgrade firmware). That's how it works, right?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Have you changed the USB PWR jumper on the Rambo so that you do not need the USB cable plugged in?
jetpad
Printmaster!

Post by jetpad »

I think I've solved my crashing problem. Basically, I stopped using Slicer! I'm still using Repetier-Host but loading the gcode from Kisslicer into it. I think there is something about the slicer gcode that Repetier doesn't like. As soon as my current print finishes, I'm going to try printing a Kisslier gcoded file to see if maybe the reason it wouldn't print is because the firmware has a problem with the slicer files too.
jetpad
Printmaster!

Post by jetpad »

I tried the card reader with a Kisslicer generated gcode file and it did the same thing. It said "Printing..." and displayed the percentage complete up to 100% but the extruder never moved.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

jetpad wrote:I tried the card reader with a Kisslicer generated gcode file and it did the same thing. It said "Printing..." and displayed the percentage complete up to 100% but the extruder never moved.
I just checked and mine is doing the same thing, let me take a look at the code and see what the issue is.
It might be related to the fix he did for the bad checksum issue.

EDIT: looks like this is the case, code was added to require a checksum after one was received because of a different issue.
There is a fix for this in the latest 0.82.2, I'll integrate it into my version later today and let you know.

OK I've updated my copy of the firmware to 0.82.2 which appears to fix this.
jetpad
Printmaster!

Post by jetpad »

Great! Thanks. I'll try out the new firmware tomorrow.
jetpad
Printmaster!

Post by jetpad »

The new firmware is printing for me from the SD card.

Return to “Rostock MAX”