RoMax v1 layout for two power supplies

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
hauser
Noob

RoMax v1 layout for two power supplies

Post by hauser »

I want to mount two power supplies, one YHG 12v 30A and one Meanwell 24v 25A (SE-600-24), along with a SSR & heatsink, in the base of my Rostock MAX v1. I have removed the original power supply and retainer plate. The Meanwell is too long to fit comfortably into one of the three compartments. I'm thinking of cutting a hole in one of the tri support plates for the Meanwell to stick through and then mounting the smaller 12v supply, the RAMBo board, and the LCD board all in a single compartment. I figure I'll need an exhaust fan for that compartment too. Has anyone done this? I'm wondering if there might be electrical/RFI noise issues mounting the RAMBo so close to the 12v power supply. Thanks.

Michael
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: RoMax v1 layout for two power supplies

Post by Eaglezsoar »

There may be a user that managed to do what you want to do but I doubt it.
Cutting supports in the base will only weaken it and heat will be a definite problem.
I run my 24VDC power supply, SSR and SSR heatsink external to the printer.
I realize that this is not the answer you are looking for but I would not stuff all those heat generating
components inside the base.

One other possibility is to use one 24VDC power supply that feeds the bed via the SSR and also goes
to a 24VDC to 12VDC converter for the Rambo card. This would require much less space and generate
less heat than using 2 power supplies internal to the base.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

You saw this?
http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hauser
Noob

Post by hauser »

Thanks for the replies.
One other possibility is to use one 24VDC power supply that feeds the bed via the SSR and also goes
to a 24VDC to 12VDC converter for the Rambo card. This would require much less space and generate
less heat than using 2 power supplies internal to the base.
I already have the 24v supply and it won't fit into the v1 base without sticking out unless one of the tri supports is cut, even if I used a converter.
You saw this?
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8865
Actually, I hadn't seen that thread, thanks. But unfortunately, it's for a v2 and the v1 base is completely different and lacks the single large space in the center for the power supply.
I run my 24VDC power supply, SSR and SSR heatsink external to the printer.
Yeah, I might just sacrifice the desk space and do the same.

Michael
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

I use a 24VDC PS, 24VDC to 12VDC converter and a SSR in the base of my RSMv2. I feel your pain with the v1. For me the converter and SSR are mounted to a 1/2" Aluminum plate machine to the same size as the side of the power supply. Before you say, I know that this is nuclear overkill but it is what I had at the time. Needless to say there is NO heat generated at the power supply at all.

Given that set of constraints and given that I has a 3-D Printer, I would look at printing a set of feet to raise the printer up and mounting the PS to the bottom of the base plate. The converter and the SSR could be mounted to the underside of the base inside the v1 base. .

gary
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

nitewatchman wrote:I would look at printing a set of feet to raise the printer up and mounting the PS to the bottom of the base plate.
I really like this idea...I might start developing this as a solution for my V1. I have had the PSU, 24v-12v converter, SSR, heatsink, and R3 bed sitting on my desk for 6 months now.

Only difference is that since I would remove the stock 12V PSU, I would put the SSR, heatsink, and 24v-12v converter in its place so only the PSU would be hanging of the bottom. This would only raise the printer by a few inches.
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

nitewatchman wrote:I use a 24VDC PS, 24VDC to 12VDC converter and a SSR in the base of my RSMv2. I feel your pain with the v1. For me the converter and SSR are mounted to a 1/2" Aluminum plate machine to the same size as the side of the power supply. Before you say, I know that this is nuclear overkill but it is what I had at the time. Needless to say there is NO heat generated at the power supply at all.

Given that set of constraints and given that I has a 3-D Printer, I would look at printing a set of feet to raise the printer up and mounting the PS to the bottom of the base plate. The converter and the SSR could be mounted to the underside of the base inside the v1 base. .

gary
Excellent idea Gary!
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

0110-m-p wrote:
Only difference is that since I would remove the stock 12V PSU, I would put the SSR, heatsink, and 24v-12v converter in its place so only the PSU would be hanging of the bottom. This would only raise the printer by a few inches.

Exactly!

gary
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

If i were to do it, i would keep the psu out of the machine. (unless you are moving the machine around a lot).

The psu would be cool, away from the heated bed. If you find a nice cable sock, you could even make the wiring much tidier.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.

Return to “Rostock MAX”