quad extruder on Rostock Max

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: quad extruder on Rostock Max

Post by Nylocke »

The RAMBo and most other controllers like RAMPS have extra output pins that you can utilize to use at the least 3 extruder so with some hacking. I was working on a schematic to use AUX-1 on RAMPS as an output for another stepper, thermistor, and MOSFET controlled 12v output for a hotend. I needed another outpu pin for it, but if I used AUX-1 and 2 I could get it to run 2 more sets of hotends, thermistors, and MOSFETs. The only board I know of that can handle more than 2 extruders is the Tricolor RepRapPro Mendel board. If you would like, I could finish the schematic for RAMPS and adapt it for RAMBo use and if you're any good with a soldering iron and if you can read a wiring diagram you could hack one together yourself :D
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Nylocke wrote:The RAMBo and most other controllers like RAMPS have extra output pins that you can utilize to use at the least 3 extruder so with some hacking. I was working on a schematic to use AUX-1 on RAMPS as an output for another stepper, thermistor, and MOSFET controlled 12v output for a hotend. I needed another outpu pin for it, but if I used AUX-1 and 2 I could get it to run 2 more sets of hotends, thermistors, and MOSFETs. The only board I know of that can handle more than 2 extruders is the Tricolor RepRapPro Mendel board. If you would like, I could finish the schematic for RAMPS and adapt it for RAMBo use and if you're any good with a soldering iron and if you can read a wiring diagram you could hack one together yourself :D
I would be interested in that schematic if you get a chance. Sounds like a darn good thing to do. Both the Rambo and Ramps if you have the time, Rambo especially if you only have time for one. Thanks for offering to do this.
pyrophreek
Printmaster!

Post by pyrophreek »

Eaglezsoar wrote:
Nylocke wrote:The RAMBo and most other controllers like RAMPS have extra output pins that you can utilize to use at the least 3 extruder so with some hacking. I was working on a schematic to use AUX-1 on RAMPS as an output for another stepper, thermistor, and MOSFET controlled 12v output for a hotend. I needed another outpu pin for it, but if I used AUX-1 and 2 I could get it to run 2 more sets of hotends, thermistors, and MOSFETs. The only board I know of that can handle more than 2 extruders is the Tricolor RepRapPro Mendel board. If you would like, I could finish the schematic for RAMPS and adapt it for RAMBo use and if you're any good with a soldering iron and if you can read a wiring diagram you could hack one together yourself :D
I would be interested in that schematic if you get a chance. Sounds like a darn good thing to do. Both the Rambo and Ramps if you have the time, Rambo especially if you only have time for one. Thanks for offering to do this.
^second that. Would love to be able to control 3 or even more through Rambo. Also, I think the reprap trip color actually uses two boards. Do you think there is any way to add a breakout board to the Rambo to allow 4+extruders?
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Ill work on the schematic later today then, Ill make one for RAMBo when I'm done with RAMPS. The schematic will be for Pololu Stepper Drivers, standard on RAMPS, so sorry but I'm not planning for any digipots for this, I don't even know if there will be enough expansion for it, crossing my fingers though :P I think I can get enough from the motor extensions, PWM extension, and Serial Extension though hopefully :)
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Nylocke wrote:Ill work on the schematic later today then, Ill make one for RAMBo when I'm done with RAMPS. The schematic will be for Pololu Stepper Drivers, standard on RAMPS, so sorry but I'm not planning for any digipots for this, I don't even know if there will be enough expansion for it, crossing my fingers though :P I think I can get enough from the motor extensions, PWM extension, and Serial Extension though hopefully :)
You know, for someone in high school you are one bright dude.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Thanks, but I'm not as smart as I'd like to be :D still so much to learn.....
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

And, it's apparent you are not afraid to try, learn, maybe stumble along the way and learn from it.

I've worked with many engineers of different disciplines, and many times I have encountered the types that are bound by what they can learn in a book or others tell them. Or, they are just too lazy to try.

You have a bright future...keep it up!
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Thanks, you guys are great. I'm also working on a controller for 3 color LED's that change color based on heating state, RED if any heating elements are on, BLUE if any elements are off but hot, and GREEN if all heating elements are off and cool. Its for RAMPS/Marlin by default, but if anyone here has any interest, ill adapt it for RAMBO/Repetier too.
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

dpmacri wrote:
barry99705 wrote:I'm digging the water cooled part.
That part worries me the most. What happens when it starts leaking and water runs down onto your electronics! :oops:
If it's plumbed correctly the odds of a leak are pretty damn slim. My old Mac G5 tower was water cooled from the factory, and it ran 24/7 for almost 10 years without a leak. It did finally leak, but I think that's my fault. A 3770 mile trip in the back of a frozen Honda Element was just too much for the water pump. Probably didn't help that I left on one of the coldest days I'd seen in a few years, it was -55F! We didn't see above zero temps until around Chicago. Was so cold and bumpy in places the acoustical coating in the spare wheel well shattered. So if properly installed, I don't see a problem sitting in a climate controlled room. It also wouldn't be too hard to put a solid cover over the electronics bay in the base. Hell, you could print one up with channels on the top to direct the flow to a safe area.
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
Maco
Plasticator

Post by Maco »

Hi all, Nylocke im very interested in the rambo mod to use 4 extruders, please let me know if yoo need some help to get this realized

Thanks

Return to “Rostock MAX”