Poor Extruding on Corners

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
aerouta
Printmaster!

Poor Extruding on Corners

Post by aerouta »

So I just installed the last delta arms from SeeMeCNC. I have run through the calibration several times but I am still getting poor extrusion on the edges from my print. It seems to extrude poorly right after rounding a corner.
Attachments
File_001 (3).jpeg
File_000 (10).jpeg
aerouta
Printmaster!

Re: Poor Extruding on Corners

Post by aerouta »

anyone have any thoughts on this?
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

There's a function called Pressure Advance that adjusts the amount of filament pushed during speed changes. All my experience has been using the firmware implementation on my Duet. Repetier doesn't have a firmware implementation but I know the standalone version of Slic3r has it (designated as experimental) and other slicers might as well. It could be worth a shot to experiment with it.
nebbian
Printmaster!

Post by nebbian »

Try bumping up your acceleration and/or jerk settings in the printer firmware.
aerouta
Printmaster!

Post by aerouta »

nebbian wrote:Try bumping up your acceleration and/or jerk settings in the printer firmware.

I can give it a try, how will print head acceleration help extrusion performance around corners?
nebbian
Printmaster!

Post by nebbian »

aerouta wrote:
nebbian wrote:Try bumping up your acceleration and/or jerk settings in the printer firmware.

I can give it a try, how will print head acceleration help extrusion performance around corners?
What's happening is that the pressure that is built up in the bowden tube while doing the line, will remain while slowing down for the corner. This will overextrude while slowing down, and then underextrude while speeding up after going around the corner. This is evident from your prints (if you know what you're looking for).

Another option is to use a flying extruder. This reduces the length of bowden tube by a large factor, so reduces this spring effect correspondingly.
I've been using this flying extruder setup for several months on both my deltas, and the print quality is far better after installing it:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1259941
aerouta
Printmaster!

Post by aerouta »

nebbian wrote:
aerouta wrote:

What's happening is that the pressure that is built up in the bowden tube while doing the line, will remain while slowing down for the corner. This will overextrude while slowing down, and then underextrude while speeding up after going around the corner. This is evident from your prints (if you know what you're looking for).

Another option is to use a flying extruder. This reduces the length of bowden tube by a large factor, so reduces this spring effect correspondingly.
I've been using this flying extruder setup for several months on both my deltas, and the print quality is far better after installing it:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1259941

That is exactly what is going on. I have not really noticed it before. Your flying extrude is quite the setup. Seems like there should be less invasive solution that takes me half way there??
nebbian
Printmaster!

Post by nebbian »

aerouta wrote:

That is exactly what is going on. I have not really noticed it before. Your flying extrude is quite the setup. Seems like there should be less invasive solution that takes me half way there??

Yes:

Bump up your acceleration and/or jerk settings in the printer firmware, and also in your slicer settings.
aerouta
Printmaster!

Post by aerouta »

This provided some improvements. My current settings are:

Acceleration - 3100
Max. Jerk 55

Is this normal?

Return to “Rostock MAX”