Max v1 upgrade advice

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
DLS3141
Printmaster!

Max v1 upgrade advice

Post by DLS3141 »

So, I've got a V1 and I'm considering some improvements...I have made a few minor upgrades:

EZ Struder, cartridge heater, fans, firmware, threaded thermistor, Easy disconnect Hot end

Nothing major, really. Now, I'm considering one of the following:

1. Upgrading to the HE280 Hot End along with the ball cup delta arms and molded cheapskates

2. Upgrading to the Duet WiFi board and Panel Due possibly with a 24V power supply.

Which gives the most bang for the least bucks and fewest headaches?

Thanks.
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Re: Max v1 upgrade advice

Post by DeltaCon »

Depends on what you want to accomplish I guess...
If bedheating is a frustration I'd opt for the 24V upgrade
If you don't want the hassle of manual calibration anymore, I'd go for the duet and fsr's
If you get low quality prints because of slop or inaccuracy I's opt for the cariages and arms
Personally I have no interest in the new hot end. As far as I can see there is no real benefit compared to an fsr setup, And I find the design complicated and uneasy to dismantle. And pricey compared to a E3D v6 with fsr's

In my personal experience though, if you take away one frustration, another one takes it place ;-)
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Note that the HE280 and Duet board don't natively talk to each other. MHackney is working on an Arduino based adapter to stick in the middle, but it's definitely not a "stock" compatibility. Stick with the Rambo to do an HE280, or go to Duet with FSR's like DeltaCon mentions and just upgrade your hotend to an E3D V6 or something like that. (15% off, right now) https://www.facebook.com/Filastruder/ph ... 24/?type=3

Are you considering the ezRstruder, or do you want to upgrade to something more like the Titan or BondTech? Both are excellent.
DLS3141
Printmaster!

Post by DLS3141 »

As usual, it seems that there's more to consider that what I'd thought about initially. I'm really looking to improve print quality and convenience . I have some vertical banding issues (nothing catastrophic, but still...). There also are some defects that seem to be tied to either rough spots in the manually sanded delta arm "ball joints" or slop in the v1 cheapskates which I find to be kind of a PITA to adjust. I also understand that the Rambo boards are 8bit and support coarser microstepping than something newer like the Duet which would allow for smoother movement and improved results.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The first things I'd update are the arms and carriages. It'll make it a whole new machine. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
DLS3141
Printmaster!

Post by DLS3141 »

geneb wrote:The first things I'd update are the arms and carriages. It'll make it a whole new machine. :)

g.

So far, so good. I have the arms and carriages installed along with some Astrodyne dampers for the servos. I haven't re calibrated and re-zeroed it yet, but it's soooo smooth and quiet just moving it around. Can't wait to print some test pieces and see.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I have an entire post on my blog about my V1 upgrades and what they have done for my print quality and reliability.

http://sublimelayers.blogspot.com/2015/ ... imate.html

I'd put this machine up against any delta printer on the planet for print quality, print-to-print reliability, robustness, and anything else. The RECAP at the end puts them in priority order. The only thing I would change would be to put TrickTrucks and effector and arms at the top of the list in the #1 spot. I've also been running a stock V6 hotend - air cooled - for the last year and now running a Berd Air part cooling. This thing is awesome.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “Rostock MAX”