quad extruder on Rostock Max

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
pyrophreek
Printmaster!

quad extruder on Rostock Max

Post by pyrophreek »

With the release of the Kraken (http://e3d-online.com/The-Kraken" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) I am really interested in setting up the Rostock Max for quad extruders (or minimum 3). Has anyone else looked into this? Is it even possible with the stock electronics or would an electronics overhaul be necessary?
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: quad extruder on Rostock Max

Post by Nylocke »

Jeez who came up with this idea? those guys at E3D are insane
pyrophreek
Printmaster!

Post by pyrophreek »

Not really. With some of the newer polymers available, it is feasible to have 4 different plastics comprising a single print.

Imagine for example:
ABS for structural components
HIPS for dissolvable support
thermoplastic PU for flexible hinges
conductive ABS for electrical traces

That doesn't even consider the possibility of multiple colors...The future looks bright indeed :D
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

The whole insanity thing wasn't meant in that way, I was meaning insanely AWESOME. If the Ultimaker didn't have such a stupid small and obnoxiously designed carriage, I would try to stuff one of them onto it :D
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

even though the electronics are available it will still take a bit for hosts and gcode programs to make the coding/software available to take advantage. Just looking at Kiss, 3 extruders is the max it supports right now. at least now that this is available, they will have motivation to incorporate these changes in their programs.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

I'm pretty sure Slic3r has support for "infinite" extruders, though to do multi-color prints i have no clue how its done.
pyrophreek
Printmaster!

Post by pyrophreek »

Current lack of support is more evident in rep host. Slicer itself has some great features that are inaccessible from rep host.
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

I'm digging the water cooled part.
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
dpmacri
Printmaster!

Post by dpmacri »

barry99705 wrote:I'm digging the water cooled part.
That part worries me the most. What happens when it starts leaking and water runs down onto your electronics! :oops:
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

dpmacri wrote:
barry99705 wrote:I'm digging the water cooled part.
That part worries me the most. What happens when it starts leaking and water runs down onto your electronics! :oops:
ive had many water cooled pc's and as long as they are assembled properly this is not an issue. That being said, im wondering about the extra weight being added to the hotend and how the water is going to be routed. Maybe when they were designing this nozzle, they didn't have a delta in mind.
cope413
Printmaster!

Post by cope413 »

I actually emailed Sanjay this morning asking about the weight for this very reason.

I'll let you know what he says.
Fellow Philosophy majors unite!

"The proverbial achilles heel of property monistic epiphenomenalism is the apparent impossibility of ex-nihilo materialization of non-structural and qualitatively new causal powers."
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Probably a big beastly Prusa or TAZ or something like that. I think a MAX could handle it, just like how some people have had successes with direct drive.
pyrophreek
Printmaster!

Post by pyrophreek »

Probably not, but the flow required is not very high, so some small diameter tubes routed along the bowden tubes should work just fine. Also, who says you need to use water? there is always dielectric silicon oil or other dielectric liquids which pose no hazard to your electronics if they leak (still a mess though).
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Where is this supposed leak going to spring? From what I saw, its a hollow piece of (cast?) aluminum with no openings except for the top where the tubes go out, any issues would be in the fault of the builder/user?
pyrophreek
Printmaster!

Post by pyrophreek »

I think it is cross drilled for the channel. You can either flow through sides or top, and need to stopper the other two. If you do it right there shouldn't be leaks, but if it thermal cycles too much there may be a risk.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

No one says you have to install this on your printer :P if you dont wanna take the risk, then you don't have to :)
pyrophreek
Printmaster!

Post by pyrophreek »

LOL very true. I personally think the potential rewards outweigh any risks. Looking forward to being able to print in 4 materials/colors in the near future. The water cooling is the least of my worries
maxman
Prints-a-lot

Post by maxman »

The advantage for me would be different nozzle sizes.

I want one to run my own "lyman extruder" fillament with a .6 nozzle for the infills and then my nice shop bought filament with a .3 nozzle for the perimeters.

Thant way I get faster and cheaper prints with good quality "skins" - I hope KISS or CURA will be able to do this ?

I am getting one from E3D as soon as they are ready.

As to the water cooling, I don't see how its much of a risk. if you are stressed about it, just make a catch tray under your onyx
cope413
Printmaster!

Post by cope413 »

Or just spray your Rambo with a conformal coating like I did. Techspray silicone or acrylic will do the trick

"The proverbial achilles heel of property monistic epiphenomenalism is the apparent impossibility of ex-nihilo materialization of non-structural and qualitatively new causal powers."
pyrophreek
Printmaster!

Post by pyrophreek »

I like the idea of different nozzles for infill and perimeters. I think slic3r has that option. Also can automatically use a third nozzle for dissolvable support. Even works in rep host.
SanjayM
Printmaster!

Post by SanjayM »

Hey guys,

Just posted the weights of the individual components for kraken on the product page: http://e3d-online.com/The-Kraken" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should obviously bear in mind that for a 4 nozzled setup you will have one cooler block, but 4x heater blocks, nozzles, and heatbreaks.

Don't have time to post more just yet - but If you guys post any questions about kraken I'll try and get back to you on here.

Cheers,
Sanjay
pyrophreek
Printmaster!

Post by pyrophreek »

Awesome, thanks Sanjay. So just from the data on your site, looks like the entire system is only just over 100g. Not bad. Looking forward to mounting one of these on our Rostock soon.
MorbidSlowBurn
Printmaster!

Post by MorbidSlowBurn »

Really looking forward to this.

Sanjay- what are the specs on the included water pump? What type of plug and voltage requirements does it have?
cope413
Printmaster!

Post by cope413 »

Here's what Sanjay replied to me with...

"I'll get one weighed as soon as possible and get back to you - do also bear in mind that between now (prototypes in various states) and the final shipping beta we will attempt to trim as much weight as possible.

You can use as few nozzles as you want, the cooling channel is separate and doesn't require them to be in place to seal anything.

The pump is a DC30 type pump (very common small water pump) - we are using a 12v version with the following stats:
Power consumption: 4.2W
Rated voltage: 12V
Rated current: 0.35A
Max flow rate: 4L/min
Max lift height: 1.9m (6.2ft)
Diameter of outlet: 8mm
Dimensions: 34x36.5x39mm

If there is anything else you need to know do get in touch."

So there you go...

626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Are these going to be sold through Filastruder (the US distributor) as well and if so, when will it be available?

Also, can you post some CAD files? I want to design a Rostock mount for this.

I'm curious to know what controllers people would use for this. Obviously the RAMBo is not a contender unless you only use two nozzles. If I'm going to bother with this upgrade I want to do it right.

Return to “Rostock MAX”