GCODE mod for Skirt + Brim?

Talk about Cura software here (http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Cura)
TFMike
Printmaster!

GCODE mod for Skirt + Brim?

Post by TFMike »

Is there way to mod the gcode in Cura (or any way at all for that matter) so that I can have a skirt print first around an object which will also have a brim? I love this feature in Slic3r and I love the way Cura prints top layers so I would like to have the best of both worlds together somehow, if it is possible. Thanks
Last edited by TFMike on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: GCODE mod for SKkirt + Brim?

Post by teoman »

Probably not in gcode.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
TFMike
Printmaster!

Re: GCODE mod for Skirt + Brim?

Post by TFMike »

Any way to do it at all? The only thing I can think of is to add a brim in Autodesk Inventor before I convert the file to STL and then using the skirt function on cura, seems kinda busch league to me and I was hoping there would be a better fix in cura itself....
BrianC
Plasticator

Post by BrianC »

You could probably do it by combining g codes. Change the skirt offset so its out enough generate the code. Then change to brim and isnert just the skirt code into your brim code and there you go.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

TFMike wrote:Any way to do it at all? The only thing I can think of is to add a brim in Autodesk Inventor before I convert the file to STL and then using the skirt function on cura, seems kinda busch league to me and I was hoping there would be a better fix in cura itself....
A buddy of mine adds the brim to his models at the CAD step instead of a slicing program... You can do this, but it seems unnecessary to me.
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

Jimustanguitar wrote:
A buddy of mine adds the brim to his models at the CAD step instead of a slicing program... You can do this, but it seems unnecessary to me.

It's what I had to do unfortunately to get the priming effect of the skirt combined with the brim, which I feel helps keep the part stuck to the glass better - here is a pic of how it sliced up in the gcode, not exactly perfect but better than nothing.
Inventor Brim Screencap.png
Audin
Plasticator

Post by Audin »

Does it have to be around the part? You could add static gcode to prime the nozzle off to one side of the build plate...

Return to “Cura”