G-code start?

Talk about Cura software here (http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Cura)
Tincho85
Printmaster!

G-code start?

Post by Tincho85 »

Hi guys, I want to try Cura but it seems that it doesn't handle temperatures like Slic3r.
"CuraEngine does not handle temperatures. You need to set them in the “G-Codes” tab." http://www.repetier.com/documentation/r ... t/slicing/

So I downloaded a g-code from another user and open it. Can someone explain to me why this g-code is so large?

The start G-code for Cura:
G28 ; Home extruder
M107 ; Turn off fan (the fan wired to mosfet FAN 0?, layer fan?, and why turn off?)
G90 ; Absolute positioning (what's that?)
M82 ; Extruder in absolute mode (?)
{IF_EXT0}M104 S{TEMP0} ; EXTRUDER TEMP (OK, turns extruder on with no wait)
{IF_BED}M190 S{BED} ; BED TEMP (OK, waits for BED temperature to be reached)
{IF_EXT0}M109 S{TEMP0} ; EXTRUDER TEMP (OK, waits for EXTRUDER temperature to be reached)
G28 ; Home extruder
M117 HEATING ELEMENTS (?)
; BEGINNING OF HEAD MOVEMENT WARNING TONES
M120 S4 P10
G4 P40
M120 S4 P10
G4 P40
M120 S4 P10
G4 P40
M120 S4 P10
G4 P40
M120 S4 P10
G4 P40
M117 KEEP HANDS AWAY
G4 S3
; END OF HEAD WARNING TONES

My start G-code for Slic3r:
G28 ; Home extruder
G1 Z300 F3000

What I would do:
G28
{IF_EXT0}M104 S{TEMP0}
{IF_BED}M190 S{BED}
{IF_EXT0}M109 S{TEMP0}
G1 Z300 F3000

Is everything else really necessary? What are the "warning tones" in the end?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Martín S.
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Re: G-code start?

Post by Tincho85 »

by the way, Im using Repetier-Host
Martín S.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

It's good practice to make sure no conflicting settings are left over from other prints or manual manipulation. That's the reason for turning off the fan and setting absolute dimensions. I also set units to mm and, on my multi-extruder machine, select the first tool (which did cause me problems when it would home with another tool active).

The warning tones operate the beeper and put messages on the LCD to warn the machine is about to move. That's at your discretion. Personally, my hot end oozes enough I have to pull the ooze off just before launching the print, so I preheat the bed and heater, pull off the ooze, and then launch the print. Since the machine will then move immediately, warning would be redundant.
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

IMBoring25 wrote:It's good practice to make sure no conflicting settings are left over from other prints or manual manipulation. That's the reason for turning off the fan and setting absolute dimensions. I also set units to mm and, on my multi-extruder machine, select the first tool (which did cause me problems when it would home with another tool active).

The warning tones operate the beeper and put messages on the LCD to warn the machine is about to move. That's at your discretion. Personally, my hot end oozes enough I have to pull the ooze off just before launching the print, so I preheat the bed and heater, pull off the ooze, and then launch the print. Since the machine will then move immediately, warning would be redundant.
Thank you! one thing, to set units to mm would be like this?:
"G21 ; set units to millimeters" (Got it from a sliced part using slic3r).

Could you share your g-code? It would help a lot.
Martín S.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

For the Rostock I'm currently using the following (syntax for the variables is different since this is code for Slic3r):

Code: Select all

M140 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; set bed temperature
M190 ; wait for bed to reach temperature
G28; home all axes
M104 S[first_layer_temperature] ; set extruder temperature
M109 ; wait for extruder to reach target temp
G21 ; set units to millimeters
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
M82 ; use absolute distances for extrusion
G92 E0
Obviously, since I'm pre-heating, there's not a lot of waiting involved, but the code is still there.

The G92 command zeros the extruder at its current location. That should happen again automatically just after the start g-code finishes, but I've never minded being the department of redundancy department.
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

Just wanted to say... adiós Slic3r!
Infill overlap, faster slicing, and very intuitive tbh. But I miss the beehive infill.

Thanks for your help IMBoring25
Martín S.

Return to “Cura”