Im getting pretty excited

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Im getting pretty excited

Post by Qdeathstar »

Sorry for the post but i just cant contain myself. I've gotten my Duet hooked up to the printer, and after an unfortunate incident with end stop wiring (shorting out the 3.3v rail) i'm getting blinky lights and wifi is connected :D

Ain't printing yet, but that can't be far behind.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Re: Im getting pretty excited

Post by Qdeathstar »

A lot more work than i was expecting, but its comming a long :D

still no printing... but this is a worthwhile experience if I decide to build a max metal one day :D
EddyGara
Prints-a-lot

Post by EddyGara »

That's awesome! I know how hard it was for me to get my duet all set up. I finally got my 1st test prints coming out beautifully with the DC42 ir sensor!

Let me know if you need any help setting things up.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

All my issues are mainly do to inexperience, this is the first time i've tried to set up a controller board from scratch.. i'm amazing how quiet the steppers are and how nice the web interface is... I also dead-shorted the ground and 3.3v rails incorrectly setting up the end stops, but the board survived that.

I destroyed the mosfet on the f0 part fan, because of the berdair..... works on a rambo but not on a duet.... voltage spikes due to the brushed motor and no scrubber diode==disaster.

I also uploaded some corrupted firmware (because i didn't download in RAW mode in github) and spent an hour and a half figuring out what the issue was..... i swapped a good USB cable for a Bad usb cable... and back again; two steps forward one and a half back...

but, still moving forward :D
gchristopher
Printmaster!

Post by gchristopher »

Qdeathstar wrote: but this is a worthwhile experience if I decide to build a max metal one day :D
Heh, so many of us out there sharing that dream...
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Qdeathstar wrote: I destroyed the mosfet on the f0 part fan, because of the berdair..... works on a rambo but not on a duet.... voltage spikes due to the brushed motor and no scrubber diode...
I'm sorry, we never expected people to connect brushed motors to the fan outputs or we would have included a flyback diode. Nobody reported that problem using the older Duet boards, if they had then again we would have added the diode. Now that I know about the Berd Air, I'll have the diode added when we next revise the PCB. If you are in the UK then I'll gladly replace that mosfet free of charge.

I did a little research and the only boards I found that include a flyback diode are the RAMBO (on the FAN0 output only) and the RUMBA+ (not the original version).
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Until the Duet updates, you can use one of these to power the Berd Air pump: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HC ... UTF8&psc=1

$15.99 and they work great. I do not recommend using them for the Onyx heat bead though, use a good SSR like the Auber for that.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

dc42 wrote:
Qdeathstar wrote: I destroyed the mosfet on the f0 part fan, because of the berdair..... works on a rambo but not on a duet.... voltage spikes due to the brushed motor and no scrubber diode...
I'm sorry, we never expected people to connect brushed motors to the fan outputs or we would have included a flyback diode. Nobody reported that problem using the older Duet boards, if they had then again we would have added the diode. Now that I know about the Berd Air, I'll have the diode added when we next revise the PCB. If you are in the UK then I'll gladly replace that mosfet free of charge.

I did a little research and the only boards I found that include a flyback diode are the RAMBO (on the FAN0 output only) and the RUMBA+ (not the original version).

No worrries, the board is still awesome, the silence makes up for whatever issues i am having. i haven't printed anything quite yet, but just the difference in the sounds comming from the motors are epicly impressive. And the web-interface is amazing as well. I should have known better than to hook up the motor to the board anyway, since this isn't the first time i heard the word "fly back diode on mosfet"... as soon as it went i knew what i had done :<

I appreciate the offer to replace it, but there are plenty of fan outputs, and if i need it later, it doesn't look impossible for a novice/intermediate solderdude like myself.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

@mhackney

I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058 ... UTF8&psc=1

will that be an equal to what you recommended or should i just return that and get your device?
WizzleeD
Plasticator

Post by WizzleeD »

EddyGara wrote:That's awesome! I know how hard it was for me to get my duet all set up. I finally got my 1st test prints coming out beautifully with the DC42 ir sensor!
It's really exciting when you got your 1st results after lot of attemps, problems and issues due to non expirience, but when all is done and is working - it's like a little piece of happiness
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Just pressed print on a 20mm calibration cube. Lets see what happens :lol:

EDIT:

Needed make some manual adjustments to the PID settings... was never reaching temp on the hot end. It's crazy how quiet this thing is... now instead of sounding like a 3D printer it sounds like a vacuum cleaner (fans). It started a little high so i'll have to make an adjustment there, but i'm going to let the first print play out, so long as it doesn't get loose from the bed. I'm in love.
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

dc42 wrote:

These are the kind of statements that make me want to become a customer as much as all the great experiences of the userbase!
Great, DC42! Not that many people have that much passion in there own products these days.
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Got the calibration dialed in, as far as the bed goes. Didn't take that long, but i haven't had a lot of time to work on it :-/. The ring reaches as far out as i can print (limited due to het enclosure)
IMG_0744.JPG

I've already got the temps checked with a thermocouple.. but now i'm printing a temperature test to see what the best temp is for my abs, followed by a retraction test. :D
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Im about a month in now and I have to say the Duet is the single best thing i've ever purchased for my printer :D <3
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

I am dying to get started, but I have 0.6 Duet board and "lucky" enough to get one with screwterminals. So I am waiting for some cheap China connectors and cabling coming in to make leads for the existing connectors... It is very tempting to just cut off the connectors and screw them directly in the terminals... :twisted:

geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Sorry you're having to wait for the slow boat. I buy all my latching connectors (male & female) from Hansen Hobbies. You can find them here: http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/c ... onnectors/

Click on the connector with the pin count you need and it takes you to a page that offers both the male & female shells. The sockets & pins for them are at the top of the page.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I have 2 printers with .6 boards with screw terminals and I have not had a problem with either. It is a lot quicker than crimping a bunch of connector pins too!

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

geneb wrote:Sorry you're having to wait for the slow boat. I buy all my latching connectors (male & female) from Hansen Hobbies. You can find them here: http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/c ... onnectors/

Click on the connector with the pin count you need and it takes you to a page that offers both the male & female shells. The sockets & pins for them are at the top of the page.
g.
Yes I know, I ordered there. Got the address through this forum. A PITA still that it costs me 34$ to send to the Netherlands for a package probably smaller then a small cigar-box... Are those latching connectors some typical USA thing? Can't find them around here.
mhackney wrote:I have 2 printers with .6 boards with screw terminals and I have not had a problem with either. It is a lot quicker than crimping a bunch of connector pins too!
Oh my, I took your previous advice to make conversion leads, and know you are tempting me not to...! ;-)

Coming to think of it, do I need to re-order the colors for the steppers from left to right? I have diagram for an Ormerod that seems to have the colors in different places. I guess however that trial and error is no problem for this connection, is it?

geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I'd forgotten you were in .nl. :)

That latching connector type is pretty common - I'm surprised you can't find them locally.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Post by TwoTone »

Qdeathstar- any advice after doing this?

My son has the Prometheus system coming and we're also upgrading to the Duet WiFi with the IR sensor while we're in there.

Just nervous, I believe in the if it's not broken, don't fix it. We haven't had anywhere close to all the problems I see posted for new builds so I'm nervous tearing into a perfectly working printer.
johndeere6110
Plasticator

Post by johndeere6110 »

hello

im also form the nederlands and i think you need this 1.
the called dupont connectors in europe i tink.

https://3dprinteronderdelen.nl/
https://3dprinteronderdelen.nl/dupont-k ... l?___SID=U
https://3dprinteronderdelen.nl/dupont-stekker-2
:D rostock max v3 owner :D
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

John, those will fit, but they are not latching and polarized.
I've seen that shop before. Toch bedankt voor de tip ;-)

johndeere6110
Plasticator

Post by johndeere6110 »

O that I had not seen that was on at the other one :D
o dat had ik niet gezien dat dat er op zat bij die andere :D
:D rostock max v3 owner :D
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

@twotone

Just pay attention to the details, make sure you have good connections of the ir probe bored, make sure your print surface is a dark color, and check out the duet forums. And read McHackney

Return to “The Lounge”