Delta printers - Can we make heated build chamber kits?

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
grabredemeyer
Printmaster!

Delta printers - Can we make heated build chamber kits?

Post by grabredemeyer »

According to OpenBeam...

"From a legal standpoint, Stratasys's patent specifically claims a Cartesian XY Gantry system in a heated build chamber (see Claim 1 on the linked patent). The heated build chamber is important because it allows prints to cool uniformly after the print is done to relief any stress that are built up in the part that will eventually lead to warped parts. By using a Delta-style geometry, we can build a printer with an enclosed build chamber without violating the claims laid out in the Stratasys patent." See: http://www.openbeamusa.com/3d-printers/kossel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My first thought was...hey, I've been working on a heated build chamber design for myself...does this mean if it works well I could legally sell it as a kit? Obviously this is really a question for a lawyer, but I thought this would stimulate some questions. Anyone have any thoughts?
brent
Printmaster!

Re: Delta printers - Can we make heated build chamber kits?

Post by brent »

I'd purchase a kit from you. If you're selling over a large quantity (over ~1000 units, or $10k a month) they'll issue a cease and desist since that's basically a company (not a small kit vendor). You shouldn't have a problem and if you are ready to sell, PM me as I'd like one of the first units.
Eric
Printmaster!

Re: Delta printers - Can we make heated build chamber kits?

Post by Eric »

Make it an unheated insulated build chamber kit. Then you aren't even in a grey area, no matter what type of printer it is.

Nothing stopping someone from adding a heater, of course. Patents don't apply to DIY end-users.

Although I suspect the waste heat from the bed and extruder may be sufficient heat for the purpose.

Return to “The Lounge”