Starting and Open Source Project?

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
Flavored Coffee
Printmaster!

Starting and Open Source Project?

Post by Flavored Coffee »

Hello,

Where does it all start? Is it simple idea we've all seen before, and just never really approached as a group, where the group would be the best idea?

Okay, I want to start an Open Source Humanoid Robot. Well, it still takes parts, this is the kind of place to start, in the middle of an Open Source Lounge. I know a bit about writing AI software, if you wanted to hold a conversation with a robot, you could. It could be done with a Banana Pi, and Solid State Hard Drive. But, the way sensors and motors all work, I figure the USB ports on the things would be the internal network of the Droid. The idea would be to work out a long list of bugs, and I see them in ASIMO, and other Humanoid Robots. You would think, you only need one accelerometer and gyro, wrong. You need those in the arms and legs as well to pre calculate, the RISK architecture of being human. You don't really revolve all around your inner ear, you feel g forces throughout your body, how you coordinate all of that doesn't ever stop you from using you're body's state of motion to calculate your own center of gravity.

If I strictly worked on the conversational AI, it could be taught or learn to talk to it's arms legs and hands, as well as listen to the conversation of sensors. I would use just one Banana Pi, to calculate the center of gravity and just report that in a cycle. Another will pre-calculate based upon pre planned paths, where error correction just waits for a slip or something. It's like saying a 3D version of everything has to happen first, it happens faster than we can perceive it, and the result is that it attempts to follow the planned path, has path error correction and obstacle avoidance. Just literally, have a goal of getting out housework, or maybe getting you're bots multiple jobs.
bot
Printmaster!

Re: Starting and Open Source Project?

Post by bot »

I think a good approach for an idea like this is to ask: what else is out there that is open source? What groundwork has already been laid for me to work on?

The beauty of open source is having a lot of the boring dirty work done for you.

http://www.design-engineering.com/autom ... rce-132052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why not build on what that project has created? Scale it up; make it work for you. What is great about that is then you are now contributing to an already established project.

Open source is all about collaborated unification. It is better than the old paradigm of closed-source protectionism, where multiple people are constantly re-inventing the wheel, wasting time and resources doing the same thing as everyone else. It is much more efficient to share knowledge and capability rather than hoard it or start from scratch.
*not actually a robot
Flavored Coffee
Printmaster!

The hording, is due to a inside operation. Ever since the invention of the nuclear bomb, America, has not trusted engineers or scientists. Basically, we gave the Russian's the blueprints, as soon as we figured it out. The patent office, rights, royalties, that's all broken, only big money makes money that way, you've gotta be rich to establish and enforce a patent in court. But, it keeps the inventor's quite thinking about money, and how much they'll get. It keeps em' quite until, the official potential of use is understood. Everything has been filtered since the bomb, so if you want good books on theory for magnetics, electronics, etc, pre WWII is really a step up on motors, solenoids, generators, alternators, and allot of magnetics. Magnetics, almost turned into a mystery after WWII. Then there's everything they really knew about vacuum tubes, that's buried or lost. Buy used books.
Flavored Coffee
Printmaster!

Hello,

I went to that link, and I liked it. It looks like a good place to start. Thanks! If you look into the record player, and the first movie cameras and projectors, they were being invented by more than one inventor in different areas of the world at the same time. If it's meant to be, it will be. My post was about making it scalable, and getting it processing power it needs to be more than a puppet.

JWE
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I can count to potato.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

^^^ True story :)
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

No disrespect but i have difficulty following your posts.

It is as if you have these moments of augmented genius and then have the need to expunge everything in your head somewhere before it escapes.

To be able to succed in a community you need participants. And for that you need people interested in what you do. People capable of understanding what you are doing and most importantly what you do should be easy to duplicate.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
gestalt73
Printmaster!

Post by gestalt73 »

Return to “The Lounge”