3D Printing Presentations - Willing to share?

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

3D Printing Presentations - Willing to share?

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Hey Guys and Gals! I periodically have the opportunity to give presentations and talks on 3D printing, and I've got a big one coming up. Not only am I releasing a design for a new printer that I've been working on, but the presentation is to a larger audience of my professional peers instead of just a random group of people at a public event...

Anyway, I'm looking for ideas to supplement my content and for creative new ways to explain things. Does anybody else who's given presentations like this mind sharing their slides with me? If you don't want to post it here, you can email me directly at work jspence4(at)nd(dot)edu or at home jim(at)themakerhive(dot)com

Here's the first one I did. I've edited it a few times for different audiences. It'll be my starting point for this go around, too. https://goo.gl/V4MCj2
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: 3D Printing Presentations - Willing to share?

Post by Jimustanguitar »

This presentation will include a lot about resin printing. I'm building a resin printer that'll fit full size installation projectors, so that other IT groups in Higher Ed can use their retired classroom and venue projectors in a printer.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/YhCZkrE.jpg[/img]
More details of the play by play here: http://www.openbuilds.com/threads/c-bea ... nter.7323/

Anybody have a go-to animation or timelapse that clearly shows that process?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Do you have a drop box or other file share? Mine's too big to upload! Also, it is Keynote format but I can export as a pptx if needed.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

mhackney wrote:Do you have a drop box or other file share?
GoogleDrive OK?
https://goo.gl/uqEtKr

I don't have KeyNote (not a Mac user) but I'm sure I can find a way to open it still. Whatever's easiest for you is fine by me.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Ok, I converted to powerpoint and uploaded, feel free to use what you want from it.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

mhackney wrote:Ok, I converted to powerpoint and uploaded, feel free to use what you want from it.
Much obliged, good sir. I'll let you know if I borrow anything, and I'll certainly credit you with it in the presentation. At first glance, I really like the images on pages 15, 20, and 21. Are they your original content?

Looks like a very comprehensive presentation, I like it a lot. The clay pot analogy is also excellent, I hadn't thought of that before.

Please use anything that you'd like from mine!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Yes, 5
The CAD renderings are all mine on those and related slides. On 15 the printer and laptop are clip art open source but I photoshopped my CAD drawing on the screen.

Great, I saw some good stuff in yours too!

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Anything in my presentation that isn't my own original content is credited in the footer. Have at it!
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

MHackney's presentation inspired me to create a crossection of the Stanford Bunny for my section on resin printing. Great inspiration comes from collaboration. Anybody else have ideas to share?
Last edited by Jimustanguitar on Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Here's the combined.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/rXgprMK.gif[/img]
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

Hi Jim, the presentation is mainly about your new resin printer? if so, is it going to print while the presentation is taking place?
Also, if by professional peers you mean people related to 3d printing, you might consider doing it more technical or share some tips that you learned while building that machine.
Martín S.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

So, I haven't done any professional presentations, although the printering class at the college recently finished doing some presentations on different aspects, and while I doubt any of it would be new to you (Except maybe if I threw together a small presentation on ultrasonic additive manufacturing), and most of the presentations are fairly static without much in the way of pretty pictures, I can see how many of them I can scrape up if you folks would like to see that.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Tincho85 wrote:Hi Jim, the presentation is mainly about your new resin printer? if so, is it going to print while the presentation is taking place?
Also, if by professional peers you mean people related to 3d printing, you might consider doing it more technical or share some tips that you learned while building that machine.
The new resin printer is a part of it, but it's not the main focus, just a bullet point.
Adding the resin bits to try and explain how that works in a simple way is the challenging part that I've been spending the most time on.

I work in IT at Notre Dame, so my professional peers are AV guys and desktop support people. There isn't a lot of 3D printing in the 'realm' right now, so that's what I'm hoping to stimulate.
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

If I was part of that audience, with that kind of background, I would love to see some functional printed parts that could be implemented to my work or lifestyle. Some clips to hold the cellphone charger, a pencil holder, an adapter for X machine, or maybe something more specific that you can think of. Fun prints are good stuff to show, maybe a dildo and tell a joke that its for your girlfriend when you are out or something. I love when presenters "bond" with the audience.
Regarding of "how it works", I would keep it simple and concise. You want to make them interested and therefore make them want to build/buy a 3d printer for themselves.

Sorry if I made up a few words :P
Martín S.

Return to “The Lounge”