Duet Ethernet and 7" screen how to get it to work?

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
RayGun
Plasticator

Duet Ethernet and 7" screen how to get it to work?

Post by RayGun »

Hello Everybody.
I have a Rostock Max V2 -
Did some great modifications, like E3D, Trick Laser's Carbon Arms and Trick Carts.
Print Computer: Macintosh, Mavericks, USB, Ethernet

Now the RAMBo 1.3 died again - must have been the US Customs "Export Inspection"... before it worked fine...

Now I decided to Upgrade to the Duet Ethernet and 7" screen.

Unfortunately I NOT a Software Engineer - only a Mechanical Engineer....

Terminal Session I did NOT insert the SD Card:
Rays-Mac-Pro:~ RayGun$ ls /dev/tty.*
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Serial-2
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync /dev/tty.usbmodemfd341
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Serial-1
Rays-Mac-Pro:~ RayGun$ screen /dev/tty.usbmodemfd341

Response:
Executing config.g.bak (no configuration file found)...Error, not found
Network disabled.
RepRapFirmware for Duet 2 WiFi/Ethernet is up and running.

Don't know what THAT means....

I would appreciate any help with that,

Thank You Kindly,

Ray
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Duet Ethernet and 7" screen how to get it to work?

Post by Xenocrates »

The Duet does keep it's configuration (which includes a lot of the web server stuff as well, plus the config handles setting up communications with the Paneldue).

That log says however, that the firmware is properly installed, but not configured (as the config.g that lives on the SD card is missing), and thus it's not starting the network or paneldue either.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
RayGun
Plasticator

Post by RayGun »

Thank You Kindly.
It turned out, the board was probably bad.... so I got a New one... the same Duet Ethernet.

I found the Rostock V 3.2 firmware - by following the "DUET Firmware Update" guide:
https://seemecnc.dozuki.com/Guide/DUET+ ... +Update/97
And Changed the Ethernet settings in the SD/macros/g-code.g file - to work with my Mac (MacPro 3.1 Mavericks)

Now I can "HALF WAY" connect:
Firefox now DOES Find, and connect to the board. The Web Control Window opens.
Then I click "Connect" - nothing happens.
But every time I do so, the second LED (on the left of the RJ45) blinks - for about 0.3 seconds.
The LED on the right is on constantly.

I also tried a brand new SD card - formatted it (FAT 32) and loaded the SD files - in their folders) onto it.
The same result...

It also Ignores the M997 S0:1 command to Update the Firmware.

I think there is Either some file missing - or something conflicting.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 9.41.17 PM.png
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Problems connecting a Duet Ethernet to a network are typically caused by IP address conflicts. If you (or SeeMeCNC) haven't already done so, you probably need to change the IP address in the M552 command in config.g to either 0.0.0.0 to get an address from your DHCP server, or to a static IP address that doesn't conflict with anything else on your network.

HTH David
RayGun
Plasticator

Post by RayGun »

Hi David, Thank you.
I changed the Config.g file to:
M552 P0.0.0.0 - and also tried M552 S1 P0.0.0.0
I deleted the Mac address, Subnet etc.

Prontrun tells me "Printer Online" and M552 returns: 0.0.0.0
But the WebControl can not connect.
I n Firefox, I tried both: URL 0.0.0.0 and the one my Mac shows.

I also found a config-override.g file - but I must have the Delta parameters in the wrong sequence...

Thank You,
Ray
Attachments
config-override.rtf
(859 Bytes) Downloaded 273 times
config.rtf
(3.19 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
IP = 0.0.0.0.png
RayGun
Plasticator

Post by RayGun »

Sorry, the RTF files did not upload...
Attachments
config-override.png
config.png
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

If M552 tells you that networking is enabled by the actual IP address is 0.0.0.0 then your router hasn't assigned the Duet an IP address. Is the Duet connected to your router, or direct to your Mac? if it is connected direct to your mac then you will need to configure static IP addresses for both the Duet and the Mac.
RayGun
Plasticator

Post by RayGun »

Now I tried some more things - and Nothing is working.... can NOT connect at all....

In config.g I entered the IP and Subnet. tried setup the network in my Mac. That said "Another device is using that address"
I went into Printrun, and changed it, with the M552 Pxxx command. Checked with M552 - it confirmed it.
Changed it on the Mac's Network, it said "Connected"

Tried to connect with Firefox: "Unable to connect"
Then I checked the IP in the config.g file: it showed the IP Before the change.

Now I can't connect At All - NO Idea why. ...
WHAT is Conflicting? Is there maybe something in the macros/NETWORK file?
But if that is the case - there is STILL Something ELSE.....
Attachments
IP Change Issue.png
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

One thing you need to understand is that using a print host to change settings does not save those settings. The config.g is parsed at every startup, and then the configoverride.g is parsed. If you do not save your changes (There is a G code to do it, but manually editing and saving is probably easier), they will not be persistent. What is the IP address you mac is using on that interface, and what is it's subnet mask?
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
RayGun
Plasticator

Post by RayGun »

Ah - that looks like the real Issue....
I tried to find out - on the internet - HOW Networking works.... needless to say: I got Nowhere

I thought on the Mac I have to enter the IP and Sub Net Mask - of the device I want to Connect TO?
AND I used DHCP with Manual Address - thinking Dynamic could get really complicated, since it changes the IP Constantly....

IP address: I can set up anything, probably meaning anything AFTER 192.168.(1 to 255).(1 to 255) ?
Sub Net Mask seems to be always 255.255.255.0
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Are you connecting the mac directly via ethernet to the duet ethernet, or is the Duet ethernet connecting through a switch/router/hub?

Networking is complicated. Especially when not working. Luckily for you, while I'm no professional network guru, I have decent experience with this crap.

On the mac, if you're setting the IP address (rather than typing it into the browser), you need to pick a different IP address. Now, the valid ones for home use are typically 192.168.xxx.xxx and 10.XXX.XXX.XXX. There's also the wonderful 172 range, which I suggest you avoid.

The subnet mask determines what IP address's a device considers valid to communicate with, and which ones it will ignore. Now, if you have a mask of 255.255.0.0, the first two groups must match exactly, but the trailing two can be anything. Additionally, you can have values other than 255 and zero, which will determine what range inside a group is valid. The way that works is based on the binary representation, which we'll skip. You care about what makes your printer work.

My suggestion is to, if you have a hub between the two, manually set the mac to an IP address like 10.1.000.45, and the printer to 10.1.000.101. That might be easy to remember, and as most consumer hardware uses an IP from the 192.168 reserved pool with a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask as you've noticed, means you'll be troubleshooting completely clear of other devices. Then in the browser, enter the printer's IP address. See if you connect then.

If you want more of a networking primer, I can do that, but it probably won't help get your printer working any faster. But knowledge is valuable.
Machines:
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
RayGun
Plasticator

Post by RayGun »

I tried both connections: Directly - and over a router - same result.

I - once again - deleted ALL Network configurations on my Mac..
I tried both: 192.168.1.xxx and 10.1.000.101 - and similar - Nothing worked...

Then I went to https://configurator.reprapfirmware.org/ and went through that - with Static DHCP.
The same thing...

But now I noticed something: THERE MUST BE AN ECHO - something in the board or SD card or whatever...
Because this is the message I got: " Another device is using this IP ..." even this was one I NEVER Used before...

Sounds like that IP is written down in 2 or more files - or in a file (like config.g) and the board - and there is the "Conflict"
Attachments
Another Device....png
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Nope. What you've done is set the IP for the mac to the IP of the duet. Think of it like a mailing address. You've told the mac and the duet they are both the same address. Instead, you should have the mac set to a different IP address in the network window. Don't touch the Duet currently, and change the Mac IP address to 192.168.1.83. Then refresh the page in firefox. That should produce a better result.
Machines:
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
RayGun
Plasticator

Post by RayGun »

Ahh - I see - Thank You!
ANYthing Except the one of the printer board works.
Now I CAN Access Web Control - but in that window I can Not "Connect".
I have the M586 P0 S1 ; Enable HTTP in the config.g listed.
And the board is Not installed in the printer yet - only connected with USB and Ethernet, but it still should connect - I think....
Attachments
Connect to Duet.png
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

- What happens when you press the Connect button?
- Which browser are you using?
- Do you have Javascript enabled in your browser?
RayGun
Plasticator

Post by RayGun »

On one MacPro 3.1 I use Firefox 41, on the other one I use Firefox 57 - same result.
In Firefox's Prefs, I could Not find anything JavaScript.... So I installed "Java for OSX" - no difference.
In WebControl, in all tabs (Machine Control, Printer Status etc.: when I click on the "Connect" button, it just very briefly blinks the Orange field (about the size of the "Disconnect" button, for about 0.1 seconds, then shows the "Connect again.

Otherwise Nothing changes - EXCEJPT: in the "Settings" tab: it shows some more Info.
Please see Pic Settings 1 and 2.

Also - in ALL Tabs, next to "My Printer" name field, that yellow triangle: When I hover over it, a Message appears: "Some Axes are Not Homed"....
That is correct - because I have Not installed it into the Printer yet.

Could that be the Issue?
Attachments
Settings 2.png
Settings 1.png
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

It's connecting properly from the looks of it (at least in the first screen shot). Since you have no hardware connected, such as thermistors, endstops, etc, and don't seem to have a password or custom name defined, it's not really doing anything, but it's connected.
Machines:
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

RayGun wrote:On one MacPro 3.1 I use Firefox 41, on the other one I use Firefox 57 - same result.
In Firefox's Prefs, I could Not find anything JavaScript.... So I installed "Java for OSX" - no difference.
You don't need Java. Javascript is built into all browsers, but some browsers provide an option to disable it, normally in the Security settings. However, without Javascript working, I doubt that you would get as far as you are getting.
RayGun wrote: In WebControl, in all tabs (Machine Control, Printer Status etc.: when I click on the "Connect" button, it just very briefly blinks the Orange field (about the size of the "Disconnect" button, for about 0.1 seconds, then shows the "Connect again.

Otherwise Nothing changes - EXCEJPT: in the "Settings" tab: it shows some more Info.
Please see Pic Settings 1 and 2.
Sounds like it is connecting and then immediately disconnecting. Please open the debugging console in your browser (it's typically control-shift-J to open it, but I don't know if that works for Safari) and see whether any errors are reported when you press Connect.
RayGun wrote: Also - in ALL Tabs, next to "My Printer" name field, that yellow triangle: When I hover over it, a Message appears: "Some Axes are Not Homed"....
That is correct - because I have Not installed it into the Printer yet.

Could that be the Issue?
No.
RayGun
Plasticator

Post by RayGun »

NOW IT WORKS!!!
Web Control NEEDS Cookies - "Accept from Visited" ("Always" is Not needed...)

For anyone reading this - and having issues to Connect via Ethernet:
Select "DHCP" You CAN set up "DHCP with Manual Address":
- The IP Address for your computer - the LAST Digit Group MUST differ from the IP you assigned to your Printer.
- The IP Address is - for Mac - the Only thing you need.
Attachments
Enable COOKIES.png
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

I'm glad you solved it! It's actually HTML5 local storage that DWC uses, not cookies, but the two are usually enabled/disabled together in the browser.

I'll see if we can have DWC produce a warning when HTML5 local storage is not available.

Return to “The Lounge”