E3D All Metal Mount

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
AndThenSome09
Printmaster!

E3D All Metal Mount

Post by AndThenSome09 »

I just ordered an E3D All Metal Hot End which shipped today from Filastruder.

What would be the best mount to use for the E3D on the Rostock Max?

There are a few to choose from, I was just wondering what some of your experiences have been.
3D Printing Blog, Build, News, and Store

Come check us out @ http://www.i3dtech.net
dpmacri
Printmaster!

Re: E3D All Metal Mount

Post by dpmacri »

I've used 626pilot's mount which is here: [/url]http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:137140[/url]. You'll need to get longer screws to use it, though. Or if you don't have the screws, you can just use the top pieces and mount it underneath the carriage, but you'll loose Z height.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

AndThenSome09 wrote:I just ordered an E3D All Metal Hot End which shipped today from Filastruder.

What would be the best mount to use for the E3D on the Rostock Max?

There are a few to choose from, I was just wondering what some of your experiences have been.
You don't say if you bought the bowden version or not, that information determines which mount you would use.
AndThenSome09
Printmaster!

Post by AndThenSome09 »

Sorry, I figured Bowden version would be implied since we all have Rostocks, but yes I got the bowden version.

Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

AndThenSome09 wrote:Sorry, I figured Bowden version would be implied since we all have Rostocks, but yes I got the bowden version.
Then I agree with dpmacri and would use the one that 626pilot created.
There are a lot of Max owners who bought the cheaper E3D without the bowden and it requires a different mount that accepts a PTC. I know it doesn't make
a lot of sense but many users did it that way.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

You might check out my mount too. It has the advantage that the E3D is held securely in the mount which is then skewed to the posts on the effector. The other mounts I've seen clamp two parts together on the posts with the E3D sandwiched between them. Check out the Roctock Collection on thingiverse, they are all in there.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

mhackney wrote:You might check out my mount too. It has the advantage that the E3D is held securely in the mount which is then skewed to the posts on the effector. The other mounts I've seen clamp two parts together on the posts with the E3D sandwiched between them. Check out the Roctock Collection on thingiverse, they are all in there.
I should have mentioned your mount but quite honestly I forgot about it. I will try to remember from now on.
AndThenSome09
Printmaster!

Post by AndThenSome09 »

Thank you for all the input, it is appreciated! I cant wait to get my new E3D hot end in so I can start printing out the parts for my newest build. It is a design of my own which is a derivative from the Kossel. It will be called the RosBot - Kossel. I plan on starting a Kickstarter campaign for it once the prototype is working well, I'm going to offer it as a kit only with probably 2 or 3 pre-built RosBots for a higher pledge amount. I want it to be open source but at the same time am worried maybe some bigger company with lots of money would take it and just steal the wind from me if you know what I mean. If it will have the Kossel family name it should be open source right. IDK I will just focus on designing and building my bot. It is going to use the Orion heated bed which I've talked to John and he agrees to give me a deal on them if my Kickstarter is successful! I'm excited and nervous at the same time but I want a chance to do what I love for a living and I figure I might as well give it a shot since I'm definitely not getting any younger!

AndThenSome09
Printmaster!

Post by AndThenSome09 »

By the way Eagle, I just got a bunch of that "JustABS" filament in the mail and am printing with it as we speak, it is going down like butter, so smooth! This really seems like great stuff! For only like $26 bucks for a KG I would say this is going to be my main source of filament from Amazon! Thanks for the advise!

Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

AndThenSome09 wrote:By the way Eagle, I just got a bunch of that "JustABS" filament in the mail and am printing with it as we speak, it is going down like butter, so smooth! This really seems like great stuff! For only like $26 bucks for a KG I would say this is going to be my main source of filament from Amazon! Thanks for the advise!
I thought that you might like it.
I am glad that it is working so well for you. There are less expensive and more expensive but the JustPLA and JustABS is mid priced and just works good.
Happy Printing!
dpmacri
Printmaster!

Post by dpmacri »

mhackney wrote:You might check out my mount too. It has the advantage that the E3D is held securely in the mount which is then skewed to the posts on the effector. The other mounts I've seen clamp two parts together on the posts with the E3D sandwiched between them. Check out the Roctock Collection on thingiverse, they are all in there.
I didn't realize you had a mount. I'll have I check it out because it just occurred to me that I DID have a problem with 626pilot's where I had to add a washer below the PTC connect to get everything snug enough to not move around! :-)
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Yeah, mine clamps the E3D between the two printed parts. It uses 3 screws - I used self tapping machine screws - for this. Then, the entire mount and E3D can be put on or taken off the Rostock as a unit. I find it convenient.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
AndThenSome09
Printmaster!

Post by AndThenSome09 »

Link?

Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

AndThenSome09 wrote:Link?
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:237847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “The Lounge”