Carbonizing the Rostock V2 plus probe upgrade

Post a pic of your CNC machines!
Hobby Creek
Plasticator

Carbonizing the Rostock V2 plus probe upgrade

Post by Hobby Creek »

I've recently did a major overhaul on the Rostock v2 we had in the shop. The arms, carriage, effector, and extruder all got a pretty big upgrade.
IMG_6495.JPG
IMG_6497.JPG
IMG_6137.JPG
IMG_6424.JPG
IMG_6449.JPG
Long story short, I created a bunch of parts to make the entire moving end of the printer very rigid to help with small detailed prints.

Sort of a long write up so I did it in PDF format. Browser kept losing my drafts :cry: You can download and see the whole process below.
Rostock V2 Mods.pdf
Lots of pictures, so file size is a little big
(21.44 MiB) Downloaded 277 times
Neptune
Printmaster!

Re: Carbonizing the Rostock V2 plus probe upgrade

Post by Neptune »

That is awesome, always wondered why no one had gone this route before. Well done.
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Post by TwoTone »

Just curious after seeing this and some other custom carriers(Skates)
Since the weight is pulling inward, wouldn't it make more sense to have the bearings on the rear and front of the towers vs. the sides?
Hobby Creek
Plasticator

Post by Hobby Creek »

TwoTone wrote:Just curious after seeing this and some other custom carriers(Skates)
Since the weight is pulling inward, wouldn't it make more sense to have the bearings on the rear and front of the towers vs. the sides?
The issue with having a bearing on the inside is that when you print at the base of the tower, the arms will hit the bearing. The arms will be 90º straight down at that point, which means everything under that pivot point needs to clear the moving arms.
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Post by TwoTone »

Hobby Creek wrote:
TwoTone wrote:Just curious after seeing this and some other custom carriers(Skates)
The issue with having a bearing on the inside is that when you print at the base of the tower, the arms will hit the bearing. The arms will be 90º straight down at that point, which means everything under that pivot point needs to clear the moving arms.
So the inside bearing could be above the arm and the other two would be in the rear
Hobby Creek
Plasticator

Post by Hobby Creek »

You'd then need to put the endstop screw above the bearing which cuts into your print height. And the single bearing would want to be positioned between the two opposing bearings. You could make it work but for that much effort, I'd almost rather just switch to linear rails.
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Nice write-up. It all looks so simple when you see this, but I am always very hesitant to make such large mods myself. For me a safer route is through the well known SeeMe or TrickLaser upgrades. But this really looks RTM! ;-)
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
Hobby Creek
Plasticator

Post by Hobby Creek »

DeltaCon wrote:Nice write-up. It all looks so simple when you see this, but I am always very hesitant to make such large mods myself. For me a safer route is through the well known SeeMe or TrickLaser upgrades. But this really looks RTM! ;-)
I was originally just going to switch to carbon arms, then one thing led to the next and before you know it, I tore the whole printer apart :lol:
They definitely have some cool upgrades and I referred to them on some concepts. Kinda made it my own as I had the carbon and a router. Took about two weeks to design, cut, and reassemble. It was a big project but fun seeing everything come together.
joe
Printmaster!

Post by joe »

I did just what you said TwoTone. Works very nicely. http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... 740#p95089

@Hobby Creek - nice work!

Return to “Show us your machine!”