Rostock with Diamond hotend... FULL RGB COLOR MIXING

Post a pic of your CNC machines!
JJPowelly
Prints-a-lot

Rostock with Diamond hotend... FULL RGB COLOR MIXING

Post by JJPowelly »

Here's a video and some picture of me explaining the current state of my machine... Still a lot more work to do...

I'm Also in the process of making an instructables explaining how I did everything...
http://www.instructables.com/id/Full-Co ... D-Printer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z_21b3xl20[/youtube]
DSCN1204.JPG
DSCN1281.JPG
DSCN1271.JPG
DSCN1288.JPG
2.JPG
4.JPG
3.JPG
5.JPG
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Rostock with Diamond hotend... FULL RGB COLOR MIXING

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I've been following this on FaceBook. Your work looks amazing! Thanks for putting the effort into documenting your endeavor!
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Awesome prints. Thanks for sharing all the steps........ very much appreciated.
My 3D-Printing learning curve is asymptotic to a Delta's X, Y and Z-axes
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Couple little critiques on the video. If you're going to film on-screen stuff use OBS. Its free, easy to use, and works pretty well as a screen recorder. Also try to use a tripod if you can, its difficult to talk intelligently about something and focus on what you're talking about at the same time.

I'd love to see it in action printing color-blended things. I really like how you have the 3 extruders mounted in the flying fashion and all the PET cable management you have going on, looks real nice. What is it that you have on your bowden tubes?
fletcher
Prints-a-lot

Post by fletcher »

Nice work. I love the pop-away hot end idea. I've done the crash. Thanks for sharing.
JJPowelly
Prints-a-lot

Post by JJPowelly »

Nylocke... Yeah, I put no effort into the video at all... I'm going to make a better one eventually... I usually use on screen stuff when I'm on the computer, but cutting and editing one that goes from one to the other was more work than I was willing to do at the time... But I agree, the video is complete shit and doesn't really do the project justice... But I'll make better videos here soon when I find the time, I have a lot of school work right now that I should probably focus on.

And the cover over the tubes are just fabric sleeving - much like that cable sleeve on the wiring umbilical... I'm very obsessed with the aesthetics of my projects and designs and did not like the white PTFE with the silver and blacks surrounding it... Couldn't find black PTFE tubes, so decided to use a black sleeve... So it really serve no purpose other than satisfying my OCD.
U.S. Water Rockets
Printmaster!

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

I love your extruder design. I hope you put the files up, because I think I want to mod my Rostock Max V2 with a flying extruder as well, and that design looks a lot better in a flying configuration than the EZstruder. Really nice job.
8-)
Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

Awesome setup!
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.
DGBK
Printmaster!

Post by DGBK »

One of the coolest things I've seen on this forum. Keep up the awesome work.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Watched this last month, and I liked the magnetic hot end idea so much that I decided to make my own. It allows tools to be dropped in from the top, or twist-locked from below, with the tool being held in place by Nd magnets either way. Top mount is good for probes, pens, and dial gauges. Bottom-mount is better for tools that are too bulky to fit in through the top of the effector, with the weight being held by tabs on the LED ring. I also have triple flying extruders (pictured) with counterweights (not pictured). The effector and its accessories (LED ring and cooling fan mounts) and carriages are designed for 1- or 2-color printing.

I think the ideal multi-color setup would have six filament inputs:

White
Cyan
Magenta
Yellow
Black
Support

You really have to add white and black to the mix for FULL color prints, and IMO any 3D printer isn't complete until it has the ability to extrude dedicated support material like HIPS or PVA.

I have seen a design for a six-in, one-out hot end somewhere on the RepRap wiki. I guess that means no one gets to patent it :)
Cable mast.jpg
Mag-lock platform 1.jpg
Mag-lock platform 2.jpg
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

There's no real reason to mix support material and, being that it's common for the support's extrusion temperature to be incompatible with the basic material's, at least one good reason for it to be on its own extruder. That leaves you with five being a fair number, though, of course, more would give better flexibility.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

That's true. HIPS likes to extrude hotter than PLA. Perhaps a 5+1 hot end, with a separate heater for the support material.
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

JJPowelly wrote:Here's a video and some picture of me explaining the current state of my machine... Still a lot more work to do...
It looks very nice! Can you tell us a little more about the mechanics of the machine, in particular what motors you use, what size extrusions, and what diameter and length the CF rods are? I have been asked for advice on building a delta with a Diamond hot end and Duet electronics. There are already several Cartesian printers using the Diamond + Duet + DueX4 and working well, but I am concerned about the effects of the additional effector mass on the mechanics of the printer.
Last edited by dc42 on Fri May 20, 2016 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

dc42 wrote:It looks very nice! Can you tell us a little more about the mechanics of the machine, in particular what motors you use, what size extrusions, and what diameter and length the CF rods are? I have been asked for advice on building a delta with a Diamond hot end and Duet electronics. There are already several Cartesian printers using the Diamond + Duet + DueX4 and working well, but I am concerned about the effects of the additional extruder mass on the mechanics of the printer.
My counterweight system could be adapted to the Rostock MAX frame. It's pretty simple. SeeMeCNC uses something similar for their giant PartDaddy printer. I've had good luck with it, and you can turn the printer off without worrying that the nozzle is going to hammer itself into the glass.
noishi
Prints-a-lot

Post by noishi »

wow that is some really impressive stuff. Love the maker-cave you live in ;)
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Thanks for the pictures and documentation.
Excellent!
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”

Return to “Show us your machine!”