E3D Volcano Test Prints

A pre-assembled Delta Printer that can print a 6" cube 8" tall!
TFMike
Printmaster!

E3D Volcano Test Prints

Post by TFMike »

Questions about what could cause this, I printed this at .3 layer height in cura. Used the e3d volcano hotend with the .8 mm nozzle. Any ideas?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/0wLUqBx.jpg[/img]
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: E3D Volcano Test Prints

Post by teoman »

Well, it could be that it thinks that your nozzle is thicker than it is.

Or it could be a very sever case of under extrusion. Do you have your steps per mm calibrated?

Also, the dimensions of the part. Are they correct or are they wrong?

It could alsoe be that your first layer is way off.

PS: i have only printed with the stock hotend, so i am just guessing based on my understanding of how these things work.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

1. I told cura my hotend was .8 mm

2. No, and I have no clue how to do that. I could fiddle with the extrusion multiplier I suppose

3. Dimensions of part are correct, I am printing parts for another 3d printer ha

4. First layer looks phenomenal in some parts and meh in others. Could it be belts? A misaligned calibration? I used the paper technique. Related to layer height? The time I printed something at .6 mm layer height I had a phenomenal brim using the same settings in cura, but the parts came out all lumpy. :/
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

Looks like a bed calibration issue to me. There are two spots where the brim looks good (presumably the closest parts to the towers). Perhaps you need to redo your horizontal radius setting.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

BenTheRighteous wrote:Looks like a bed calibration issue to me. There are two spots where the brim looks good (presumably the closest parts to the towers). Perhaps you need to redo your horizontal radius setting.
You mean do the paper thing calibration again? Or something else?
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Yes that is the one.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Yep, the paper thing.

It's worth noting that my personal calibration was a LOT easier AND more effective when I used an actual feeler gauge instead of a piece of paper.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

BenTheRighteous wrote:Yep, the paper thing.

It's worth noting that my personal calibration was a LOT easier AND more effective when I used an actual feeler gauge instead of a piece of paper.

Can you recommend one? I have seen something like that at harbor freight but it topped out at .8 mm and I wanted something that went up to 1.0 mm as well
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

I went over to my local NAPA and got one for $40. It wasn't in metric, but it should get you just as good of a calibration. They didn't stock them in store, but they can get the truck to bring one from the warehouse within the hour.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

$40 bucks at NAPA? ouch

Mine goes down to .002 thou and .05mm its marked with both on each guage.
see if autozone/oreilly has it in stock.
http://www.autozone.com/clamps-and-meas ... ing=search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/searc ... /C0374.oap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
drunkenmugsy
Printmaster!

Post by drunkenmugsy »

OK not to hijack but the pic in this post is out of whack for me. It is way to large with no scroll. It does this in all posts here. I remember reading about this in another thread. I dont remember the fix though. I do remember it being a browser issue? This is the only forum that does this to me. Help!
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

If you're willing to wait for it to ship, this is the one I got for $6 on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BY ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doesn't go up as high as you're looking for, but for that price you might as well just buy a second, bigger set as well.
drunkenmugsy wrote:OK not to hijack but the pic in this post is out of whack for me. It is way to large with no scroll. It does this in all posts here. I remember reading about this in another thread. I dont remember the fix though. I do remember it being a browser issue? This is the only forum that does this to me. Help!
If you're using Firefox, you can right-click and select "view image." I haven't found a better fix.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

KAS wrote:$40 bucks at NAPA? ouch

Mine goes down to .002 thou and .05mm its marked with both on each guage.
see if autozone/oreilly has it in stock.
http://www.autozone.com/clamps-and-meas ... ing=search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/searc ... /C0374.oap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wait... I thought we were talking about dial indicators...
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

drunkenmugsy wrote:OK not to hijack but the pic in this post is out of whack for me. It is way to large with no scroll. It does this in all posts here. I remember reading about this in another thread. I dont remember the fix though. I do remember it being a browser issue? This is the only forum that does this to me. Help!

you didn't state whether you were on mobile or not. At the bottom of the page you can switch to the mobile, or not mobile version. peraps that will help?
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Dang, I could've just gone to my local auto parts store, saved a buck and not wait for mine to ship! Oh well, that's what I get for just assuming Amazon has the best price on everything... :roll:

Mike, pretty sure that only psychos set up dial gauges on their machines! (Oops, I meant "perfectionists" and "professionals," excuse me!) :lol:
redoverred
Printmaster!

Post by redoverred »

BenTheRighteous wrote:
If you're using Firefox, you can right-click and select "view image." I haven't found a better fix.
Change "Display images within posts" to "No".

[img]http://puu.sh/gvlKn/f7594a22e3.png[/img]
drunkenmugsy
Printmaster!

Post by drunkenmugsy »

redoverred wrote:
BenTheRighteous wrote:
Change "Display images within posts" to "No".

[img]http://puu.sh/gvlKn/f7594a22e3.png[/img]
That kind of works, not how I wanted it to. And no Im not on mobile or the mobile version of forums.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

The printing issue OP posts looks like underextrusion. Perhaps too low a temp? Perhaps the filament is slipping in the hobbed pulley? Seems a little consistent for that actually. Hmmm.

As for the image/forum issue. Try setting "My board style" to "Artodia:black" under the board preferences tab of the control panel.
*not actually a robot
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

bot wrote:The printing issue OP posts looks like underextrusion. Perhaps too low a temp? Perhaps the filament is slipping in the hobbed pulley? Seems a little consistent for that actually. Hmmm.

As for the image/forum issue. Try setting "My board style" to "Artodia:black" under the board preferences tab of the control panel.
The imperfections are too "perfect" I agree, I am going to test it again tomorrow an see what the deal is.
itsjesseyo
Plasticator

Post by itsjesseyo »

Is the problem that there are gaps between the passes on the first layer? I have this with my e3d as well, on every nozzle .8-1.2mm, once i make the layer width wider than the nozzle diameter. For whatever reason, setting the extrusion multiplier to 1.14 is about perfect for me regardless of nozzle size. so, for my .8mm nozzle, i had a layer thickness of .65mm, layer widths of 1-1.2mm and an extrusion multiplier of 1.14. I had to slow down the speed to 15-20mm to keep the feeding motor from skipping. On the 1.2mm nozzle i have a layer height of .96mm, layer width of 1.8mm, multiplier of 1.14, temp of 207C for any nozzle, and a speed of 10mm (it can still go 20mm though). Bonus info on the 1.2mm nozzle, at those settings the quality of the plastic finish is matte and soft feeling and string as hell. Hope that helps.

Return to “ORION”