Small Layer issue with ABS print

A pre-assembled Delta Printer that can print a 6" cube 8" tall!
Carlc
Plasticator

Small Layer issue with ABS print

Post by Carlc »

Hi,

I am relative new comer to 3d printing and I have a small issue I would like some advice on.

I am printing in ABS, using Elmers glue stick, at 105 degrees bed temp and 230 degrees nozzle temp. THe geberal quality is great except when I have small layers. I am slicing using Repetier and Slic3r.

My issue is shown in the attached picture but basically, it looks like the previous layer is not cooling enough before the next layer is etruded causing small layers to sag. I thought you could set a minimum time for a layer, so that you can control this issue but I cannot find a setting for that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the poor quality picture.

Carl
Attachments
sagging laters at the top of the rocket
sagging laters at the top of the rocket
Carlc
Plasticator

Re: Small Layer issue with ABS print

Post by Carlc »

I have found the post on filament coolling settings - will this sort the problem?

Will try it but confirmation would be appreciated, I am still a nervious noobie :)
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

what slicer are you using mattercontrol?

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
Carlc
Plasticator

Post by Carlc »

Hi Tom,

I have been using Slic3r but have today switched tio MatterControl. Am planninbg on trying a pointy print tonight with it.

Carl
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

You're right that this is the result of printing one layer on top of one that's not completely cooled yet. You can add airflow or increase the minimum layer time. Some slicers also have a setting called "cool head lift" that will print the layer at normal speed and then pull the hot-end away from the part for a while to let it cool before resuming the print.

Return to “ORION”