Nozzle build-up

A pre-assembled Delta Printer that can print a 6" cube 8" tall!
SellingMiami
Plasticator

Nozzle build-up

Post by SellingMiami »

Good morning,

I would greatly appreciate all help... I have an Orion.
After a successful run of a few prints I was running a second print of spools for a filament spool holder, I walked away from the printer for about 5 minutes and when I returned I found a bunch of filament piled up at the nozzle; I cancelled the remaining print.
After some reading, I cleaned the glass from possible finger tip oil.
I ran a quick pin print and it came out perfect.
I noticed some build-up from the original error that I just cant seem to get rid of.
I tried to run the spool print again and it started to bunch up again, so I cancelled that print and now I'm here.
How or what can I use to clean the nozzle/hot end?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

JC
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Nozzle build-up

Post by Xenocrates »

I have found acetone and a brass brush work pretty well to clear most crud. If it's just on the brass nozzle, unscrew it and grab a blowtorch. Torch it clean, then once it's cooled (don't do this right after torching) give it a bit of a bath in acetone or some other cleaner, before drying and reinstalling it. also, for larger amounts, using a paper towel on the hotend works pretty well. As would a semi-sacrificial layer of Kapton tape.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

What type of filament are you using? ABS, PLA, PETT, PETG, HIPS, PVA,,,,, :P
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

+1 on the brass brush.
guitp
Plasticator

Post by guitp »

How does one clean out the inside of the nozzle after blowtorching it? The brass was glowing red before the jam was cleared.

Are the Orion Delta 2 (2+ years old) 0.5mm nozzles "standard"? It would cost me more in shipping and duty to order one across the border...
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

amazon or your local hardware or autocrats store will have these for between $5 and $10 for a pair of them in Brass or in stainless steel if you have the hardened steel nozzles for abrasive filament.
I have some in my shop with wooden handles which might be easier to use on a hot nozzle but all of the small toothbrush size today seem to have plastic handles so be careful not to melt them with either heat or acetone depending on the plastic they used.
[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/7 ... L1500_.jpg[/img]

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/7 ... L1500_.jpg[/img]

Return to “ORION”