Trick Laser MAX METAL Build

Such as Laser cutters (Must use the phrase 'sharks with frickin lazors' once per thread)
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Re: Trick Laser MAX METAL Build

Post by ccavanaugh »

bob64 wrote:I just noticed you mounted your pcb heated with the nylon spacers between the Onyx and the snowflake. I'm a bit curious as to why.
I plug the center hole in the snowflake and run the wiring out the back instead of thru the hole. This keeps direct drafts from the power supply off the bed and improves temperature stability. There was a thread pertaining to this recently and drafts were causing dimensional issues for some users with a stock machine. I've never encountered the issue myself, but never allowed for the draft to occur either.
DarrenAnton
Printmaster!

Post by DarrenAnton »

KAS wrote:
lyncos79 wrote:
forrie wrote:Have you seen what KAS has done a few posts up?

Yes, but he's not using the little posts and I am using them... Maybe I can give a try but I feel I'll loose height..

Anyway, can I please get a link to that 'fan rack' stl file ? I may give a try.

Thanks

I drew up a quick print to use a specific type of fan. I have it mounted to one of the tabs on the Trick Laser platform.

The zip file contains the .rsdoc used with DesignSpark Mechanical.
UDQFC3E15_Layer_Fan.zip
UDQFC3E15_Layer_Fan.stl

That fan can be found: http://www.mpja.com/5VDC-Mini-CPU-Fan/p ... 2166%20FN/

[img]http://s4.postimg.org/ytfrhpk4t/20150925_192707.jpg[/img]

So I did buy these fans and printed the layer fan stl

Then I found out they will not work with a Full Max Metal kit and E3D Hot end set up the right way

Does anyone have a Fan mount that will work with these fans!
http://www.mpja.com/5VDC-Mini-CPU-Fan/p ... /32166+FN/

Thanks!

and still do not know why I can not post pictures? anyone have the same problem?

Here try these..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9v602thkrc74r ... 2.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kq9uxnyrt9p3 ... 4.jpg?dl=0
bob64
Printmaster!

Post by bob64 »

I'm actually hitting the same problem as you. There really isn't enough clearance to mount a good fan duct + fan. I'm thinking that I really should give up on maximizing "z" height and just sacrifice that for a bit more flexibility in fan mounting.
Rostock Max V2 with mods:
E3d v6 with 713maker mount & e3d titan extruder
Tricklaser CF arms, heat spreader, tricktrucks, fly-n-strude, metal carriage & effector
Duet v.8.5.0
24v MeanWell 750w PS & Cydom D1D40 SSR in parallel with stock 12v PS
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Hey sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Yeah that mount was designed for a unique setup with the Prometheus hotend hung 3/4 below the effector.
Honestly, I have never even come close to printing at full Z. I'm more interested in the larger circumference ability.

Download DesignSpark and use the CAD file attached above. You can push/pull and adjust the mounting angle to match just about any setup. Unless the fan comes to close to the nozzle that is.

[img]http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr18 ... G_0265.jpg[/img]
bob64
Printmaster!

Post by bob64 »

Is that your LCD ring attached between the effector and the jhead mount? That effector looks like the tricklaser one so how does it shine the light through the metal?
Rostock Max V2 with mods:
E3d v6 with 713maker mount & e3d titan extruder
Tricklaser CF arms, heat spreader, tricktrucks, fly-n-strude, metal carriage & effector
Duet v.8.5.0
24v MeanWell 750w PS & Cydom D1D40 SSR in parallel with stock 12v PS
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

If you check out the platform its mostly empty space
Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 11.55.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 11.55.50 AM.png (213.93 KiB) Viewed 19088 times
So it just shines through the areas where there is no aluminum
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Nylocke is correct. No LEDs are covered up, they just happen to fit perfectly within the frame.

[img]http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr18 ... 130806.jpg[/img]
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

KAS wrote:Nylocke is correct. No LEDs are covered up, they just happen to fit perfectly within the frame.

[img]http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr18 ... 130806.jpg[/img]
Nice! that is a neat way to mount the light ring... I did not realize the LED's would fit like that.
One of the reasons I designed the area between arm mounting screws as wide as possible was so heat sink cooling fan can fit down between, allowing any mounting height of hot end. Even the E3D 30mm fan and shroud fits down in there.
I also wanted platform as light as possible but still rigid.

~~~~ CAUTION ~~~~~ :o
Be careful not to short out the light ring by clamping it right against metal platform or groove mount, you might want to use nylon washers between metal and light ring. The newest revision of light ring has extra connection pads intended for powering ring through stand offs, so watch out for that if mounting to metal platform!
KAS, you might have a older revision of light ring, that does not have the added pads, so maybe you won't have any issue.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Here is a bracket to mount the YJ-Pad wiring block by Yellow Jacket Concepts to the MAX METAL Frame side extrusions.
http://repables.com/r/752/
IMG_20160502_184109.jpg
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

What's the threading on the screws that are used in the rubber feet? I'm releasing a TON of stuff for the MAX METAL, including new feet that bolt directly to the frame. I'm going to secure them with nylon locknuts, but I need to know what size to get.
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

626Pilot wrote:What's the threading on the screws that are used in the rubber feet? I'm releasing a TON of stuff for the MAX METAL, including new feet that bolt directly to the frame. I'm going to secure them with nylon locknuts, but I need to know what size to get.
1/4-20
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

ccavanaugh wrote:1/4-20
Thank you very much!
d1rron
Printmaster!

Post by d1rron »

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any crucial prints from your Github repository before I start disassembling ahead of receiving my Max Metal frame. Here's what I've printed so far:

(3) Limit switch brackets
(3) Heated bed insulator bracket v3
(3) Trick truck belt spacer
(3) Trick truck belt clamp
Note: I am using a hanging struder, so I don't need the Ezstruder mount.

I'm going to try printing the drill guide, but my printer is pretty out of whack and I'm not sure if I can print something that big yet or not. My plan was to print the bare minimum, assemble the Max Metal to be functional, and then print the rest once it's built and calibrated so I can get some clean/accurate prints.

Thanks! :D
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all... we're only mortal."-JLP
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

d1rron wrote:I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any crucial prints from your Github repository before I start disassembling ahead of receiving my Max Metal frame. Here's what I've printed so far:

(3) Limit switch brackets
(3) Heated bed insulator bracket v3
(3) Trick truck belt spacer
(3) Trick truck belt clamp
Note: I am using a hanging struder, so I don't need the Ezstruder mount.

I'm going to try printing the drill guide, but my printer is pretty out of whack and I'm not sure if I can print something that big yet or not. My plan was to print the bare minimum, assemble the Max Metal to be functional, and then print the rest once it's built and calibrated so I can get some clean/accurate prints.

Thanks! :D
You won't need the drill guide as it was for the very first set of frames.... kind of forgot it was there.

The FSR brackets may work easier than the heated bed insulator even if you don't use the FSRs. They don't require modifying the snowflake and help reduce warping with thermal expansion of the heated bed by avoiding over constraining the snowflake. Without the FSR's installed, the snowflake should rest on the horizontal rails. It also make access to wiring underneath the bed quick and simply.

Also, the belt tensioners may be of use.
d1rron
Printmaster!

Post by d1rron »

Excellent! Thank you! One more question, if I could. I noticed there are the limit switch brackets and also the "Top Vertex" STLs -- are those two versions of the same thing? And if so, do you recommend the Limit Switch stl over the "Top Vertex"? I noticed that "Limit Switch.STL" is quite a bit newer, but thought I should ask anyway just in case.

I'll see if I can print those tensioners accurately with my printer the way it is at the moment.

Thanks again!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all... we're only mortal."-JLP
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

d1rron wrote:Excellent! Thank you! One more question, if I could. I noticed there are the limit switch brackets and also the "Top Vertex" STLs -- are those two versions of the same thing? And if so, do you recommend the Limit Switch stl over the "Top Vertex"? I noticed that "Limit Switch.STL" is quite a bit newer, but thought I should ask anyway just in case.

I'll see if I can print those tensioners accurately with my printer the way it is at the moment.

Thanks again!
The Limit Switch Bracket is more compact and frees up the top slot of the horizontal rail for a enclosure design I have been picking at. You do need to install the 1/4-20 screws before attaching the limit switch. The "Top Vertex" is easier to install but takes more material and may get in the way of the enclosure.
d1rron
Printmaster!

Post by d1rron »

Good to know! Also, is there a reason that the FSR brackets are in 3 separate files? I can't tell any difference between them, but I don't want to assume. Lol I guess it doesn't really matter. Thanks again!
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

d1rron wrote:Good to know! Also, is there a reason that the FSR brackets are in 3 separate files? I can't tell any difference between them, but I don't want to assume. Lol I guess it doesn't really matter. Thanks again!
The three versions prevent over constraint and allows for dimensional error and thermal expansion. One is "just right", the other is slotted and the the over is simply oversize.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

@KAS
On my most recent build I mounted the light ring above platform like you showed. Great idea!
IMG_20160603_130616.jpg
IMG_20160603_130711.jpg
IMG_20160603_130811.jpg
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
d1rron
Printmaster!

Post by d1rron »

That looks clean, Brian!
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

bvandiepenbos wrote:On my most recent build I mounted the light ring above platform like you showed. Great idea!
What's that hot end you've got there?
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

626Pilot wrote:
bvandiepenbos wrote:On my most recent build I mounted the light ring above platform like you showed. Great idea!
What's that hot end you've got there?
Beta testing new pico hybrid from B3 Innovations.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
miglo
Printmaster!

Post by miglo »

Here's a remix of ccavanaugh's electronics enclosure front plate for those of us running a smoothie without an LCD screen. It has a 19mm front hole to fit standard car LED switches as well as the power switch that came with the RM2.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4LYJ4W6.jpg[/img]
NOGLCD Front Cover.stl
(188.36 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

miglo wrote:Here's a remix of ccavanaugh's electronics enclosure front plate for those of us running a smoothie without an LCD screen. It has a 19mm front hole to fit standard car LED switches as well as the power switch that came with the RM2.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4LYJ4W6.jpg[/img]

NOGLCD Front Cover.stl
Very nice!
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

Oh cool! Will you do one that says Max Metal too? I just got used to calling it that.
Rostock MAX V2 with trick trucks, cf arms, prometheus hot end, nimble extruder, berdAir cooling.
Cura slicer, Duet Wifi, iMac

Return to “Other Machines”