SCARA Arm based printer

Such as Laser cutters (Must use the phrase 'sharks with frickin lazors' once per thread)
Viking
Printmaster!

SCARA Arm based printer

Post by Viking »

Hi

Just to add to the confusion, I'm in the prosess of buliding this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1241491 for fun. I happend to have a RAMPS 1.4 kit floating around and som stepper motors, so I decided to make something with it.

I also have an SCARA adapted version of marlin that needs some small adjustments, like getting the lcd to work.
Most parts are either L-Cheapo from China, or from IKEA or printed on my RS MAX.

My goal is to have it print something to prove that I managed to make it. and it's looks cool.

Anyone else going on crazy 3d printer projects ?
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: SCARA Arm based printer

Post by Polygonhell »

Looks interesting, I look fowards to pictures of the process.

I started bulid a Scara robot like printer out of aluminum at one point, the issues I ran into were getting enough gear reduction on the drive to get decent accuracy at the tip, I used geared steppers, but once the backlash from the gearbox gets magnified by the arm it was very noticeable. The secondary issue was finding cheap bearing for the joints that didn't have a ton of slop.
I tried to source some cheap harmonic drives from China but couldn't.
I pretty much gave up after I looked at the amount of play and backlash in the first joint, belts are a better way to go than geared steppers for backlash, I just wanted to avoid the exposed belts.
Viking
Printmaster!

Post by Viking »

I wil post pictures when it's something to show, i'm waiting for a few bits and pieces the next few day's
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

cool. 8-)
subscribed topic
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
susurro
Noob

Post by susurro »

Viking wrote:I wil post pictures when it's something to show, i'm waiting for a few bits and pieces the next few day's
Hi! I am also thinking on building something similar to that SCARA (my own design, reducing mass and inertia in the arms). How is this design? I would like to test it but I dont have spare nemas :/ I will post my own design in two weeks, when I start building it :)
Thank you!
Smartrap 2012-2012
Rostock 2012-2013
Wooden kossel 2013-2016

Return to “Other Machines”