Solidworks Printer Driver

http://solidworks.com
Sonrisa3D
Printmaster!

Solidworks Printer Driver

Post by Sonrisa3D »

I was designing in Solidworks (2013) tonight and tried the "Print 3D" button. It came up with the message:

"Before you can perform 3D printer related tasks, you need to install a 3D Printer. Please contact your 3D printer company for the appropriate printer driver."

Was curious if anyone has had luck using the Solidworks 3D printing with the RostockMAX or Orion (or any other rep-rap arduino printer for that matter). I imagine it is set up to export G-Code once you have the printer drivers connected.

Thought it would be cool to test the Solidworks Printing Software out, anything to lessen the pain of file converting between 3 programs would be rad.
Any input or knowledge would be awesome.

Cheers
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Solidworks Printer Driver

Post by bubbasnow »

Just curious, what 3 conversions are you doing?
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Has anyone gotten anywhere with this yet? I assume it would only be for the commercial printers.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
lbarger
Printmaster!

Post by lbarger »

I do not (yet) have a 3D printer, but I am looking really hard at the Rostock Max V2 kit. I too use SW and was wondering about this same thing. I was told, dedicate slicer software give better control, but IF it can be done, there is something to be said for the simplicity of just hitting print and not having to do an export and then 'fiddle' with another application to print.

I did come across a link that seems to suggest there is a USB driver for the Rambo. http://seemecnc.com/pages/downloads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Without a printer, I obviously can not try it. Have you looked at this driver and tried it? Have you found a solution that works for you? Knowing I could use the built in 3D print capability would likely put me over the edge into getting the printer. (Of course I have no idea if the Rambo does all the required coordinate conversions to run the part on a delta printer.

Curious to see where this matter stands.
I need more minions!
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

As far as I know there are no solidworks drivers for any of the FDM printers.
I'm not even sure what the requirements for the driver would be, I assume it uses the 3D printer driver stuff that MS added to windows. but I've never looked at what's involved in writing a compliant driver.
If it is using the windows stack I wouldn't hold out much hope for a compliant driver.
RJLynn67
Prints-a-lot

Post by RJLynn67 »

This has to do with Windows 8.1 and its ability to have 3D Drivers made for it.

SOLIDWORKS 2015 has this ability built into it that allows you to set certain settings for the output. The slicer must be in the installed printer driver.

It would be interesting to see these for the Max
JakeAtlas
Noob

Post by JakeAtlas »

Not sure if this question has been answered yet or not.

All the Print 3D button does is preform a save as and exports the file directly to your slicer. You can do exactly the same thing by just changing the file type when you save the file and importing the file into your slicer manually.

hope this helps! send any more SolidWorks questions my way.

Return to “SolidWorks”