Quick Start Guide Suggestions/Comments

johnoly99
Printmaster!

Quick Start Guide Suggestions/Comments

Post by johnoly99 »

Hey guys, Started this thread to have a place to discuss comments/suggestions to the Quick Start Guide for the ORION located at

http://download.seemecnc.com/orion/quickstart

It is an ever evolving work in progress to keep it up to date, so please feel free to add suggestions as you see them. We try to cover all the areas, but sometimes overlook things, so help us out by recommending changes and additions here.

Thanks
John
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Re: Quick Start Guide Suggestions/Comments

Post by jmpreuss »

I glanced through it, not with my printer at the moment. Looks like most of my guesses over the weekend were correct.

One issue, the slic3r configuration files on step 22 appear to be blank (I both clicked on the links and downloaded and they appeared to be empty files).
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

"nstall the power cable by passing it thru the hole in the bottom of the machine, and inserting it into the connector as shown"

Should be ..."insert it into the connector as shown." An arrow may help. (I know, sad.)

"Install the USB cable by removing the front panel using the two thumb screws on each side of the panel. You can see the USB jack on the left side of the electronics board" <--- Needs an arrow pointing to the jack.

"Using the three photos below, slide the arms up, one at a time and move the platform down below the carriages to put it in to print position. The purpose of having it 'inverted' is to protect itself during transportation, and shipping"

No comma needed "....transportation and shipping." :)

Looks great John!

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
lordbinky
Printmaster!

Post by lordbinky »

After your guide, you were just biding your time until you could dish it back out weren't you? :lol:
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Are those .ini slicer configs decent for the full size Rostock as well?

**edit** they're almost identical to the published RostockMax ones from twitter, so yes :)

download.seemecnc.com/RostockMAX-slic3rconfigs.zip
Last edited by Jimustanguitar on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

Hahahaha, Geneb, i have much respect for the rostock manual. If you have time this afternoon, shoot me a txt, i have pushed all the quickstart docs to the Orion_Delta github, be interesting to see if you can come up with how i created them :D

Yes, the configs are almost identical. Retract is a little less, and the retraction is faster. The shorter bowden doesn't need as much, and the new ezstruder can retract MUCH faster, so everyone with an ezstruder, set your retracts to 80mm/s at 7.0mm, and i find a little, say .1 extra on restart puts the pressure back up for nice restarts

The links were .ini extensions, should have known they would get blocked. I fixed it, they are now zip files, and tested working

John
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I have no clue what you used to create it. Looks great though. :)

g.
Delta Power!
brbubba
Printmaster!

Post by brbubba »

Is there a guide out there on the LCD functions? Some are self explanatory, but I'd be curious to see a full hierarchy layout with explanations of each function, assuming it exists.
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

brbubba,

Good point, and it will be included in the user manual. FYI, the first manual revision is up on the download page on our site. It's (as is everything) a continuing work in progress, but it will get you started for sure!
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

Just got the Orion in today, complete total noob when it comes to 3d printing, if you could expound on what needs to be done, step by excruciatingly specific step, in order to print out your own models I would very much appreciate it, I was able to print a half-assed fan straight outta the box but when I tried to print some sliced STLs that I had been working on with an engineer the extruder head went straight sideways and just stopped, I have no idea what to do from here and cannot find an in depth guide for the Orion, just the Rostock. Thanks in advance for your time and I appreciate any and all help that comes my way.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Working on it!

No ETA though. :(

g.
Delta Power!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

TFMike wrote:Just got the Orion in today, complete total noob when it comes to 3d printing, if you could expound on what needs to be done, step by excruciatingly specific step, in order to print out your own models I would very much appreciate it, I was able to print a half-assed fan straight outta the box but when I tried to print some sliced STLs that I had been working on with an engineer the extruder head went straight sideways and just stopped, I have no idea what to do from here and cannot find an in depth guide for the Orion, just the Rostock. Thanks in advance for your time and I appreciate any and all help that comes my way.
If you gave us more info we may be able to help you. Like what slicer are you using, type of filament, temperatures, are you printing from SD or USB, etc.
We are more than willing to help but include as much info as you can so we have a chance to understand what went wrong.
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

@eaglezsoar
A big part of the problem was that the pdf I downloaded from the website was not the same document as I just viewed in this thread, I had assumed they were identical and was pulling my hair out trying to figure what to do after the last step here:

https://github.com/seemecnc/Orion_Delta ... Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I managed to print something finally after going through the steps in the guide in this thread but my part, which was supposed to be super flat, came out with a huge bow, I guess the plastic didnt stick to the glass plate like it should have, I had the extruder height at .35 mm and the bed was heated to between 90 and 100 degrees celsius throught the print, I can show pics if anyone wants to see.

Also, how do I make bridges or rotate parts in the repetier software? I thought they would be made automatically but I guess not :(
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

TFMike wrote:@eaglezsoar
A big part of the problem was that the pdf I downloaded from the website was not the same document as I just viewed in this thread, I had assumed they were identical and was pulling my hair out trying to figure what to do after the last step here:

https://github.com/seemecnc/Orion_Delta ... Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I managed to print something finally after going through the steps in the guide in this thread but my part, which was supposed to be super flat, came out with a huge bow, I guess the plastic didnt stick to the glass plate like it should have, I had the extruder height at .35 mm and the bed was heated to between 90 and 100 degrees celsius throught the print, I can show pics if anyone wants to see.

Also, how do I make bridges or rotate parts in the repetier software? I thought they would be made automatically but I guess not :(
I understand your confusion, 3D printing is not difficult but there is certainly a large learning curve.
Let's start with the basics, a heated bed is nice but no guarantee that the part will stick. You need to put something on the glass to help the part stick. That something
is hair spray, glue sticks, or some homemade formulas. First let's cover the hair spray which is my personal favorite. I use a hair spray called AquaNet Extra Super Hold
unscented but there are others that work, you want one that says the word polymer on the list of ingredients. I spray my heat bed glass with a thin coat of the stuff
then heat up the bed, I have found that 45 degrees is enough. The hair spray should be dry. Then print your part and it should stick. Sometimes it sticks so well that
it is difficult to get the part off the glass.
The other method is too use glue sticks which you apply to a cold bed and smooth it out the best you can. Heat up the bed to around 45 degrees again and let the glue
dry. One more method is too use elmers glue mixed with water to one part elmers glue to 3 parts water and brush it on the cold bed same process as the others.
Okay, we figured out how to get the part to stick, now we need to discuss how the part gets printed.
You should be using a program called repetier host to place the part on the bed, slice the part then start printing. There are obviously some settings in Repetier Host
that have to be adjusted. Instead of me trying to teach how to use Repetier Host, I am going to give you a link to the documentation and you need to sit down and
make sure you read and understand it. You asked how to rotate parts, it is in this documentation. Here is the link: http://www.repetier.com/documentation/repetier-host/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After learning how to use Repetier Host you should be able to print well and now you know how to get the part to stick.
Bridges are a different animal. Bridges are basically a strand of filament that has an empty space beneath it and they can be difficult for the best of us. You need to use
the right print speed (quick) the right temperature for the filament you are using or you can turn on a thing called support in the Slic3r program.
Support means that while the part is being printed, anywhere there are areas that could fall or droop, that area will be supported by an easy to remove support.
There is one more link you need which is the Slic3r documentaion and it is here: http://manual.slic3r.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PDF format is http://www.lpfrg.com/wp-content/uploads ... _guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Slic3r manual talks about bridges and a whole lot of other things.
And you thought this was going to be easy.
Seriously, you need to learn Repetier Host and the Slic3r program that is built into Repetier Host. The only way to learn them is to read the documentation.
Once you master these two programs you are well on your way to printing with the best of them. I sure hope I didn't shatter your dreams of taking it out of the
box and start printing. :)
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

When I said bridge earlier I meant "support", I think it would be useful and helpful for novices like me to include all of the information in the guide in this thread in the downloadable pdf here: https://github.com/seemecnc/Orion_Delta ... Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was incredibly frustrating and would have saved me a ton of headache had it been there, I tried the hairspray trick last night, but I had to heat the bed to 90, not 45, and then the abs only halfway stuck to it.

Also, the disc that was shipped with the heating bed had a chip in it when it arrived, and when I first heated the bed the crack went all the way across, where can I get a replacement?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

TFMike wrote:When I said bridge earlier I meant "support", I think it would be useful and helpful for novices like me to include all of the information in the guide in this thread in the downloadable pdf here: https://github.com/seemecnc/Orion_Delta ... Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was incredibly frustrating and would have saved me a ton of headache had it been there, I tried the hairspray trick last night, but I had to heat the bed to 90, not 45, and then the abs only halfway stuck to it.

Also, the disc that was shipped with the heating bed had a chip in it when it arrived, and when I first heated the bed the crack went all the way across, where can I get a replacement?
Did you get the AquaNet hair spray or a different one? I have no problems with my bed at 45 degrees with the AquaNet Super Hold Hair spray.
For other types of hair spray that others have had success with do a search for hair spray on this forum.
The best way to search this forum is to have google search it for you. Use this link: site:forum.seemecnc.com hair spray Just put that link into your browser and Google will search the forum. Works much better than the search function the forum has built in. Obviously you can replace the words hair spray with whatever you want to search for.

You need to send an email to [email protected] to replace the broken glass. Include your date of order and order number and tell them the glass had a chip in it when it arrived and cracked completely when first heated.
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

You only the heat bed to 45 when printing abs? Also, how low should my printhead be in the start position, I think it is a bit too high and it messes up the rest of the print
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

TFMike wrote:You only the heat bed to 45 when printing abs? Also, how low should my printhead be in the start position, I think it is a bit too high and it messes up the rest of the print
When using the hair spray I mentioned I have had great success with the bed at 45 degrees. Most of the time the parts stick so well they are difficult to remove.
This is what I use, your mileage may vary.l
The rule of thumb for the printhead height is that it barely grabs a piece of 20 lb paper, the regular stuff used in printers and copiers. If memory serves me correctly that is
approximately 3 thousands of an inch.
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

So like .1 mm? About to goto hobby lobby and lowes for glass plates, ill look for the hairspray as well
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

ABS should be printed at 80-90C. The included glue stick works great.

g.
Delta Power!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

geneb wrote:ABS should be printed at 80-90C. The included glue stick works great.

g.
I will default to telling our members 80 - 90 degrees but I will keep mine at 45 because I get
great results at that temp. I am always willing to compromise and you keep tweaking my nose
when I get out of line or put out info you feel is wrong. I need to learn things as much as
anyone. I think mine works so well at 45 degrees because I am using 5/16 aluminum plates.
I promise to change my recommended defaults to 80-90 degrees.
So all you users out there reading this for ABS use 80-90 degrees on the heatbed or incur the
wrath of the Eaglezsoar society!
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

where did you get your aluminum plates?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Eaglezsoar, I've never heard of printing ABS with that low of a bed temp. Do you coat the bed with cyanoacrylate? :D

The 80-90C figure comes from "conventional wisdom" and seems to work for the largest number of people on the widest range of machines.

g.
Delta Power!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

TFMike wrote:where did you get your aluminum plates?
http://www.sandsmachine.com/alumweb.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But they will need to be cut down to size. I had a machine shop do it for $30
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

geneb wrote:Eaglezsoar, I've never heard of printing ABS with that low of a bed temp. Do you coat the bed with cyanoacrylate? :D

The 80-90C figure comes from "conventional wisdom" and seems to work for the largest number of people on the widest range of machines.

g.
It's that Aquanet hairspray. Even at 45 degrees the parts stick so well I have to use a wood chisel to slide under them to knock them lose.

Cope talks about lower bed temperatures for his line trimmer nylon also, it's all in the spray or glue sticks.

Return to “ORION Official Docs”