Octoprint on Raspberry Pi performance issue

Talk about the web based OctoPrint controllers
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Octoprint on Raspberry Pi performance issue

Post by mhackney »

I also gave up on Octoprint/Raspberry Pi for performance reasons. I had to turn off video - which was one of the primary reasons I wanted to go down this route. I have a wifi card and class 10 8GB SD. I can transfer files easily to the pi so once there the network is not an issue. Even with video turned off, files I use KISSlicer's round infill with pause and jerk badly (with video off). I use this infill a lot so it just wasn't practical to use the pi any longer. Too bad cause I like the Octoprint interface and customizability.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
atoff
Printmaster!

Post by atoff »

Yeah, it's a shame, I really liked the idea of it too.

I just remembered that I had snapped a video of what it was doing. It would move normally along straight lines, but any curve or detail would kill it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxarGNCVpMI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Sorry about the audio, I had the A/C on, and it was apparently blowing straight into my phones mic).

The end result was severely jagged edges.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Yes, that is what I observe too. And with circular infill, the entire time it is doing the infill, it is going in slow mo and fits and spurts.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
bdjohns1
Printmaster!

Post by bdjohns1 »

I just loaded OctoPrint on a BBB I recently picked up. My RPi has been having a bunch of "weirdness" - slow/not responsive, network connection dropping, etc. I'm wondering if my Octoprint one is just dodgy - I have another Pi running XBMC in the living room so I can watch MLB.tv and keep with with the Cardinals, and it's been working great.

Anyway, I haven't hooked it to the printer yet, but I did get Octoprint loaded and functional. It's like greased lightning compared to the Pi - I uploaded a 10MB g-code in a few seconds, and then it did its analysis to get print time and filament use in another few seconds, versus both operations taking minutes on the Pi.

There are instructions for setting up a BBB with Octoprint over at Octo's github site, but I'll add in the few things I did have to change, since BBBs aren't shipping with Angstrom anymore - they're on Debian.

1. Ignore the "opkg" steps.
2. Don't create a separate user - just install it as the stock debian user
3. If you use the debian user, it's already part of the tty and dialout groups, so no need to do the usermod bits.
4. Debian is on the systemd setup for launching things at boot time, so you'll need to read up on it to make octo auto-start on boot.
5. You can install haproxy like OctoPi does so that it's accessible on port 80.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Thanks for that.

anyone have has this setup on arduino due?

Waitinf gor the bbb to get on the cheapo sites as shipping is a killer to my destination.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
bdjohns1
Printmaster!

Post by bdjohns1 »

teoman wrote: anyone have has this setup on arduino due?
I'm guessing no. You need something that can run python scripts and work over ethernet. I don't believe the due is capable of that.

I have heard of people running it on Android devices, so if you can get your hands on one of those cheap Android "stick" units - Octoprint has a page with preliminary documentation for the Ouya game console specifically:

https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/wik ... id-devices" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No idea how the performance is on the Ouya. It's got a Tegra3 or 4 on it, so it should do OK.

Any other super-cheap compact PC-type device running Linux at its guts is a potential candidate.
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

teoman wrote:Thanks for that.

anyone have has this setup on arduino due?

Waitinf gor the bbb to get on the cheapo sites as shipping is a killer to my destination.

I did just load the most current image to my pi b+, I'm noticing a lot of improvements in performance.
crocky
Printmaster!

Post by crocky »

I'm playing around with the latest one and the Pi camera..

Just got to wind the speed back a bit, still at normal speed at the moment and didn't quite finish the first print!
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Ball Cup Arms, New Carriages, HE280, Dampers, PSU Breathing, Simplify 3D, GeckoTek3D, Raspberry Pi3. Duet soon... Kossel Mini still under construction.
Delta's are the way!
Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

I'm sorry if it's too offtopic, but i'm going to try Octo- or/and Astro- print on Intel Edison. Anyone want to read about results? Am I needed to create another topic?
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Renha, yes create another topic with a clear title - that will help people find it in the future!

I finally gave up on the RaspberryPi/Octoprint combo. The curved infills I use just take too many processor cycles and were the kiss of death for this combo. Too bad though.

cheers,
Michael

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
crocky
Printmaster!

Post by crocky »

bdjohns1 wrote:I just loaded OctoPrint on a BBB I recently picked up. My RPi has been having a bunch of "weirdness" - slow/not responsive, network connection dropping, etc. I'm wondering if my Octoprint one is just dodgy - I have another Pi running XBMC in the living room so I can watch MLB.tv and keep with with the Cardinals, and it's been working great.

Anyway, I haven't hooked it to the printer yet, but I did get Octoprint loaded and functional. It's like greased lightning compared to the Pi - I uploaded a 10MB g-code in a few seconds, and then it did its analysis to get print time and filament use in another few seconds, versus both operations taking minutes on the Pi.

There are instructions for setting up a BBB with Octoprint over at Octo's github site, but I'll add in the few things I did have to change, since BBBs aren't shipping with Angstrom anymore - they're on Debian.

1. Ignore the "opkg" steps.
2. Don't create a separate user - just install it as the stock debian user
3. If you use the debian user, it's already part of the tty and dialout groups, so no need to do the usermod bits.
4. Debian is on the systemd setup for launching things at boot time, so you'll need to read up on it to make octo auto-start on boot.
5. You can install haproxy like OctoPi does so that it's accessible on port 80.
I have just ordered the BBB, I have played with the pi and gotten similar troubles to everyone else so I'll go the Beagle Bone Black route an see how that goes. I just want to print and not do all the fiddling about that the Pi needs. bdjohns1, thanks for the hints :)
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Ball Cup Arms, New Carriages, HE280, Dampers, PSU Breathing, Simplify 3D, GeckoTek3D, Raspberry Pi3. Duet soon... Kossel Mini still under construction.
Delta's are the way!
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I got a new B+ for Christmas (I already have the original) and I intend to get some heatsinks and work out an enclosure with a fan for overclocking. I have the "stock" pi-cam and will be giving this a try. Also use the EDImax dongle.

Is anybody here a Pi-guru as far as the overclocking and cooling goes?
JohnnyDude
Prints-a-lot

Post by JohnnyDude »

I am joining the OctoPi fight as well. I have two raspberry pi units and I was able to use this setup with my previous Prusa printer.

Another chap on the internet ran into these issues, but he worked through them by using a "fixed" or optimised build of OctoPrint and a serial connection rather than USB. I'm hoping to just stick to the OctoPrint custom build, because I'd rather not try to figure out how to set up a serial connection.

I'd be further along on this, but I'm still fighting with aggravating wifi problems on my pi. Ugh. The raspberry pi problems in general are pretty disappointing.
JohnnyDude
Prints-a-lot

Post by JohnnyDude »

Oh, looks like the info I dug up was on our Seemecnc forums after all. I intend to try some of the performance fixes mentioned here:

http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6539

Return to “OctoPrint”