OctoPrint error and print stops?

Talk about the web based OctoPrint controllers
JohnnyDude
Prints-a-lot

OctoPrint error and print stops?

Post by JohnnyDude »

I have a puzzling problem with my OctoPi setup. I've got a Rostock MAX v2 and I've been printing from MatterControl on my PC just fine for weeks.

I'm finally able to begin a print from my Pi, but it stops suddenly mid-print. I get errors that timeouts and "expected line X" (sorry, I'll get specifics when I can). I've only tried one print so far (as in, one GCODE file), but I've tried it several times. The print freezes reliably at the exact same place in the print I've been attempting, which struck me as odd. I changed the bitrate to 57600, but this did not help. Additionally, the GCODE was created from KISSlicer, which I haven't used before. I also increased some of the timeout configuration settings in OctoPi, but that had no effect.

My most pressing need is some advice regarding how it fails. When it fails, the hot end is immobilized, and target temperatures are not changed, so the hot end starts melting the existing print and my build plate! I'm printing on BuildTak on top of glass. I don't have failures like this often (freezes), and I don't recall if I've had a failure that kept the hot end on like this. It has me very worried about creating a fire hazard. If this could be solved with better error-handling in OctoPrint, I'd definitely want to look into alternatives. Are failures of this nature typical? Should I even be worried about failures like this?
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: OctoPrint error and print stops?

Post by bubbasnow »

what i would do is troubleshoot a single issue at a time, start with something simple like the calibration cube.

slice it as normal, print it with a pc like normal. does it print? if yes then try it with octopi.

keep the terminal open while printing and copy paste the screen when it errors. maybe a video?
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

My 2 cents, which will probably not be helpful to you, is that octoprint in general is unreliable.

I tried to upload about 5 different jobs to it, and I think 3 of them failed with "format error" showing in the web ui. No clue what that meant, but didn't seem to be a gcode problem and Google wasn't helpful, so I went back to a more reliable method of printing.

Hope you get your issue figured out though...
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
JohnnyDude
Prints-a-lot

Post by JohnnyDude »

bubbasnow wrote:what i would do is troubleshoot a single issue at a time, start with something simple like the calibration cube.

slice it as normal, print it with a pc like normal. does it print? if yes then try it with octopi.

keep the terminal open while printing and copy paste the screen when it errors. maybe a video?
That's a good idea. I've only used MatterControl with this new printer, and it's also doing the slicing for me. If I can get the gcode of a particular print, I could try it on my OctoPi. I couldn't find a way to see or export the print's gcode, though. Is it possible to save a print's gcode out of MatterControl?
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

no clue, but hosts usually fix syntax (capital letters for example) before they send the .gcode, last i checked octoprint did not and would error.

I do not use matter control so someone else is going to have to chime in. i would imagine that you could slice and export/save the gcode
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

JohnnyDude wrote:Is it possible to save a print's gcode out of MatterControl?
Generate, then Export.

Export is found below item entry in the print queue on some versions. On others, you won't have an Export option there, but will have a View function. Click View, and the window that opens will have the Export command. You can then save gcode.
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
JohnnyDude
Prints-a-lot

Post by JohnnyDude »

Earthbound wrote:
JohnnyDude wrote:Is it possible to save a print's gcode out of MatterControl?
Generate, then Export.

Export is found below item entry in the print queue on some versions. On others, you won't have an Export option there, but will have a View function. Click View, and the window that opens will have the Export command. You can then save gcode.
Great! Thanks.

I'm happy to report that this fixed my problem. I am now able to reliably print from my OctoPi setup. It seems that the culprit was the slicing and the resultant gcode. I don't know what slicing settings in Slic3r caused my issue, but I intend to rely on slicing from MatterControl going forward.

Return to “OctoPrint”