E3D v6 and the thermistor - heads up.

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
Java
Plasticator

E3D v6 and the thermistor - heads up.

Post by Java »

I recently updated to the E3D v6 hotend. It was working quite well and I was getting great prints with it. A couple weeks ago I started a long print (8 plus hours). When I kick off long prints I like to start them in the evenings so I can check them and once they are running I go to bed.

I went down to my shop to check the print progress and I the scent of ABS was pretty strong. I looked in on the print job and it was running just fine. I went to bed.

When I checked the print in the morning, it had completed. Inspecting the part, the finish on the ABS was very dull . It looked like it was burned. The first dozen layers were fine, but you could see a clear line where the dull finish began. I shut the printer down and went off to work. When I got home later I set up another print job and started it. A few minutes later I went back to check on it and the job had not started yet. The bed had come up to temperature, but the hot-end was reading less than room temperature. Uh oh.

I figured something 1 of 2 things likely went south - the heater cartridge or the thermistor. I set the temp via MatterControl and the heater DID heat up, but the temp still read as single digits. Ok, thermistor. I replaced it yesterday and things are back to normal (sort of). It seems I have a pretty good clog I need to clear out of the nozzle.

The thing that I am concerned about, and the reason I am sharing this experience, is because I wasn't thrilled that the printer kept working after the thermistor failed. Clearly the nozzle over heated - I have no idea how hot it got, but it was hot enough to scorch the ABS. I don't know how dangerous this could have been. Any insight would be appreciated.

Am I missing a setting or is there no fail-safe to shut down the printer if the thermistor fails?

EDIT to add the failure was one of the blue thermistor wires had broken at the connector.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: E3D v6 and the thermistor - heads up.

Post by KAS »

What version of firmware are you running?
Java
Plasticator

Re: E3D v6 and the thermistor - heads up.

Post by Java »

I'm pretty sure I've never updated the firmware (I think that would be .91) but I will confirm later when I get home.

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”