New Printer Setup Issue

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
iyeremuk
Noob

New Printer Setup Issue

Post by iyeremuk »

Hey guys, I just finished physical assembly of Rostock MAX V2 (my first 3D printer!), and I am hoping to get some guidance on the issue that I am having.

Basically, I cannot get past uploading firmware step, because LCD panel inputs are not working properly, so I am suspecting something is wrong with the firmware.

I hooked-up all the wiring to RAMBO, powered it on, and everything seemed OK (got 2 horizontal bars on LCD). Afterwards, I've installed windows drivers (using 8.1 64-bit), downloaded Arduino IDE 1.05, selected correct board and COM port, and performed EEPROM_clear operation (worked perfectly). Then, I've downloaded the V2 sketch, compiled and uploaded it to the printer (there were many compilation warnings, but the sketch was uploaded to the machine). Is this normal to have dozens of warnings when uploading the sketch?

Afterwards, the RAMBO restarted and took me to the default screen, which looked perfectly. There were temp readings for the thermistors, and the status said "OK." However, when I try to turn the knob, instead of navigating the menu, it just momentarily displays gibberish characters on the top line of LCD . When I click the knob, it does take me to the menu screen, but again it displays gibberish on the top line when I try to turn the knob left or right.

The 'Reset' button also does nothing, and there is no movement whatsoever from the stepper motors.

Also, MatterControl cannot seem to connect the printer either (went through all the steps, but it is perpetually stuck while saying 'Connecting'). The yellow light is continuously blinking on the RAMBO when the PC is on. Restarted both the PC and RAMBO several times to no avail.

I hooked-up all the wiring according to the guide, so am not sure what the issue might be. The only problem that I've encountered was that the bridge between LCD panel and RAMBO board (the one where ribbon cables plug into) had some of the pins bent slightly (it was packaged too tightly against the plastic LCD box), however, I've straightened them out with needle-nose pliers and there did not appear to be any damage to the connectors.

I would really appreciate it if you can point me into the right direction to fix this issue (very eager to start printing!). Thank you very much!

p.s. I tired to upload images of the LCD screen error, but the forum errors out when I do that :(
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Re: New Printer Setup Issue

Post by mvansomeren »

You have a old version of Arduino (1.05). You should try at least version 1.06 or even the latest version which I believe is 1.6 or something like that.
Noob

Post by iyeremuk »

mvansomeren wrote:You have a old version of Arduino (1.05). You should try at least version 1.06 or even the latest version which I believe is 1.6 or something like that.
Hmm, I will try that when I get back home today. I've downloaded the 1.05 one because that's what was used in the assembly guide (wanted to follow it to the letter since this is my first time).
drunkenmugsy
Printmaster!

Post by drunkenmugsy »

Pics of the LCD board and cables might help. Also of the LCD card placement on the rambo. It sounds like cables may be backwards?
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

iyeremuk wrote:
mvansomeren wrote:You have a old version of Arduino (1.05). You should try at least version 1.06 or even the latest version which I believe is 1.6 or something like that.
Hmm, I will try that when I get back home today. I've downloaded the 1.05 one because that's what was used in the assembly guide (wanted to follow it to the letter since this is my first time).
Yeah, that part of the manual should probably be updated. The current version of Arduino is 1.6.1 and I know that Repetier -091 has been updated to work correctly with this version. I know because I had issues with it as well when I tried to compile and upload the firmware and reported it. It was subsequently fixed. :D
Noob

Post by iyeremuk »

drunkenmugsy wrote:Pics of the LCD board and cables might help. Also of the LCD card placement on the rambo. It sounds like cables may be backwards?
Here is a pic of the LCD when I'm turning the knob. Will have the pic of wiring when I get home.
Attachments
IMG_20150326_233713.jpg
iyeremuk
Noob

Post by iyeremuk »

Hey guys, I solved the issue after i got back home. Turns out that I plugged in one of the LCD ribbon cables into only half the corresponding pins. Rookie mistake :)

Thank you for your help though.

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”