Stock power supply?

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
Hexxus
Plasticator

Stock power supply?

Post by Hexxus »

Greetings! I'm new to 3D printing, but not to other various forms of gadgetry. I just received a Max v2 yesterday, and was surprised to find a pretty humble 450 watt power supply included. It looks like it only delivers 22 amps max on the 12v, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is only just going to get the job done with the stock print bed and a single extruder. Am I correct in assuming that the stock power supply would be insufficient to add another extruder down the line?

I have a test bench with a corsair 850 watt full modular power supply that can deliver 70 amps on the 12v. Would it be prudent to do my build with this power supply instead? I suppose I can use the stock 450 watt ps on my test bench for now..
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Re: Stock power supply?

Post by Earthbound »

The stock power supply is cheap. On paper, it looks ok. 22A is plenty for a stock machine. However, cheap ATX supplies are not ideal for the PWM controlled resistive loads of a filament printer. On some, placing a load on the 5V rail will improve 12V performance. Some need more cooling. A good single output 12V power supply is far less costly than a good ATX unit.
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
duvdev
Printmaster!

Post by duvdev »

Hi
I have seasonic 750w modular in all my printers. The stock one is cheap and won't last for long.
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

I have the stock supply in my V2 purchased in Feb. I find the included supply just fine for my stock machine. It has been working and not overheating since it was built. So I don't find it necessary to upgrade.

There was a time when poor supplies were delivered with the kits but that was changed late last year.

Dale
Hexxus
Plasticator

Post by Hexxus »

Thanks for the info, although it would seem there are some conflicting opinions! Haha.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I'm running the stock "600w" power supply with no issues. Granted I have to wait a bit for the bed to reach 100c, but it works.

Although I'm running the smoothieboard with .9 degree steppers and Prometheus hotend. Maybe I should upgrade the supply...
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

Upgrading now is easier. I use a Corsair 750W modular supply. You won't regret it, but you may regret sticking with the stock power supply down the road.
Plasticator

Post by Hexxus »

I went with a Corsair RM850 850 watt full modular power supply. Seems to be working well!
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

I would put in the better psu in your build to start with. May save you some aggravation down the road.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Or if you have the luxury of space, leave the psu out thread out proper awg wires.

Then you can add whatever psu you want to whichever line you want.

The inside of your unit will be tidier and cooler which is a plus if you plan on putting it inside a cupboard later on to act as a heated chamber.

While you are building it, i recommended 10 awg wires to thehoeated bed - rambo.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”