HE280 Crashes right into the build plate durring setup

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
bruceg
Printmaster!

Re: HE280 Crashes right into the build plate durring setup

Post by bruceg »

Should be 80 steps/mm (200 [1.8deg motor] full steps/rev * 16 microsteps/full step) / (20 teeth/pulley rev * 2mm travel/tooth) i.e. Steps per mm|80.0000.

eta - as i understand it, 16microstep/full step is for the newer (>= 1.1???) Rambo boards, what version is your Rambo?

Sitting 60mm above bed seems odd. Would expect to be a little high with Z-max length set to 350mm in EEPROM as starting point. Would imagine your actual Z max would be just under 370mm with a HE280 and your slightly shorter arms so would expect to sit <40mm above bed.

After homing what is your Z height indication? (Matter control or LCD panel), what is it if you run the nozzle down to the bed? How does that compare to an actual measurement of your Z max? If you use Matter control to move a specific z distance does the effector move that distance?
GadgetTech
Plasticator

Post by GadgetTech »

An update, set the steps back to 80 and measured the z height from the home position. Turns out it was 390, not 350 which is stock with those arms, effector combo. Set that in the firmware, got rid of the z being to high issue but it still won't calibrate, just crashes into the build platform.
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

Ok, I think I know what is happening. When using the probe and moving, the code looks at the int line (Z_PROBE_PIN 4)from the accelerometer. If it goes low it calls that a hit. I think that line is one of the new lines that must be hooked up during the upgrade. It is late I need to go to bed and I can't find the HE280 board schematic. But if that line is not hooked up then the firmware will never see a probe hit. So if I'm right check out that new wiring. I don't know how to check it manually like we did to read the G values. But there may be a way.

The accelerometer is setup by the code to set that pin low when a G threshold is reached.

Dale
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

Update yes I'm pretty sure the Int Z_Probe_Pin is the problem. Today I tried the M261 command on my machine and it's value is displayed as the first thing in the list of numbers as INT PIN: 0 when reg 49 value is not 21. I see in your test of M261 that the INT PIN is always 1. So this means the firmware never sees it go low. So first guess is that it is not connected correctly. Second guess is it is not configured correctly in configuration .h.

The wire is pin 7 on the accelerometer board https://github.com/seemecnc/Machine_Ele ... CB_v5d.PDF

and connects 7 -> PS-ON (INT) blue wire.

Dale
GadgetTech
Plasticator

Post by GadgetTech »

Dale Eason wrote:Update yes I'm pretty sure the Int Z_Probe_Pin is the problem. Today I tried the M261 command on my machine and it's value is displayed as the first thing in the list of numbers as INT PIN: 0 when reg 49 value is not 21. I see in your test of M261 that the INT PIN is always 1. So this means the firmware never sees it go low. So first guess is that it is not connected correctly. Second guess is it is not configured correctly in configuration .h.

The wire is pin 7 on the accelerometer board https://github.com/seemecnc/Machine_Ele ... CB_v5d.PDF

and connects 7 -> PS-ON (INT) blue wire.

Dale
... Well holly buckets... now I really feel like a dunce. I don't know why I didn't check that one. I will do that first thing when I get past the sheets of ice we got here today. Thank you all for sticking with me on this. I will update soon.
GadgetTech
Plasticator

Post by GadgetTech »

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!!!! Trap for new players; if your doing continuity checks in beeper mode, actually check the resistance reading because in my case with the cheap little meter I was using it was beeping when the resistance was over 100 Ohms... tossing that thing. Thank you ever so much for everyone's help in this thread and if this pops up again in someones build I hope it's helpful.
Mihelich
Plasticator

Post by Mihelich »

I also have a V2 and I also had the issue of the HE280 crashing done onto the plate and continuing to
drive straight to China.
After 3 days of searching this forum and trying everything I was reading, I finally
just stuck an Ohm meter to every pin in the 8 pin connector and for each pin I stuck the other end into where the instructions said it was suppose to go.
Sure enough, I had one wire going to the wrong place.
I corrected that and sure enough the calibration then worked perfect.
I used the V2 firmware with no issues once the wire issue was corrected.
So, if you are crashing through your bed, triple check the wiring connections.

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”