Rostock max v2 mesh bed leveling

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
REV
Prints-a-lot

Rostock max v2 mesh bed leveling

Post by REV »

Ive had a max v2 for quite some time now (just resurrected it from storage) and I am wondering whether its worth upgrading more vs selling. I've got a lot of good mods on my Max v2 incl trick laser cf arms, 713 maker effector plate, e3d hot end and cheapskate carriages. Bed leveling has been an issue for me all along. I've recently built a Prusa i3mk3s and the bed leveling has been nothing short of a revelation. I would like to put that tech or something equivalent into my Rostock. As I've been out of the loop for quite some time, I'm asking you guy what you would recommend. Do I need a new board?

Thank you for any suggestions,

-Revel
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Rostock max v2 mesh bed leveling

Post by geneb »

You can replace the RAMBo controller with a Duet2 Wifi and the hot end with an SE300. The combination should give you perfect automatic calibration.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
REV
Prints-a-lot

Post by REV »

great! thank you
TreyD
Plasticator

Post by TreyD »

I certainly agree with the recommendation for the Duet board, but if you don't want to replace your entire hotend, you can get the Duet3D Smart Effector and an adapter from 713Maker so it will work with the molded cheapskate carriages. If you're using magballs you won't need the adapter. The Smart Effector setup will save you some cash if all you need is an easy bed leveling sensor. This is the setup I'm using with E3D hotends and I'm very happy.

Another alternative is to go ahead and sell the old Rostock and buy/build a 300x300x400 (or larger) coreXY... :D

Edit 4/2021 :
If you have the molded cheapskates you don't need the 713maker adapter. The carriage adapters that come with the SE fit perfectly on the cheapskates. Additionally, the 713Maker adapter changes the effector/arm articulation geometry such that the effector becomes unstable and is easily knocked/torqued out of level. If anyone is upgrading their RMax v2 from stock, my recommendation (after trying both ways) is Smart Effector, Molded Cheapskates, Haydn's 304mm Magball Arms.
REV
Prints-a-lot

Post by REV »

Coming back to this- I'm currently running 713 Maker's basic effector kit (E3D) with trick laser arms and moulded cheapskate bearings. So, I can strap a smart effector on there and get the functionality of mesh bed leveling? but 713 Maker's adapter is not good? Just to be clear, the smart effector you are referring to is the smart effector kit from duet? https://e3d-online.com/products/smart-e ... ta-printer

thank you,

-Rev

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”