Powering Raspberry Pi 2 with existing modular Power supply?

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
shentheory
Printmaster!

Powering Raspberry Pi 2 with existing modular Power supply?

Post by shentheory »

So this is seemingly more of an electrical question, but I'm just curious if anyone's had some success. I have a corsair cx600m inside my Rostock max V2, can i power a Raspberry Pi 2 for AstroPrint/OctoPrint with the PSU?

Ideally it'd be great to wire up a female usb port so i could power the Pi via USB. I've seen 1 video and read a few things but it hasn't been a clear process for me. Any help/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!!
JFettig
Printmaster!

Re: Powering Raspberry Pi 2 with existing modular Power supp

Post by JFettig »

Yes you can, you'd want to use something like this to wire in: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Micro-USB ... SwUdlWcgV7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The downside to this is when you turn off the switch on the printer, you shut off the power to the Pi. You don't want to hard shut down a linux machine if you can avoid it.

What would be cool is if someone knew how to interface with the pi to send it a hard signal that power is lost for it to shut down, and to maintain power to it while its shutting down, it could use one of those USB battery chargers for phones.
plasma
Printmaster!

Post by plasma »

The PSU has a constant +5VSB, if you combine this with a common black you will get constant power on, even when you turn the printer off. Just splice it into a mini USB cable.

Thats how I have it on my printer.
connector_atx_pinout.GIF
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

Also with the PI and a resource called wiringPi you can control the power of the 12vdc by connecting the green wire to a GPIO and sending it to ground. I have a relay looked to some GPIO and thats how i control my 24vdc bed supply so it turns on using event hooks (albeit with octoprint not astro but im sure they have similar stuff). if you didnt want to chop a USB cable you can also wire the 5vsb directly to the 5v bus on the header pins.
cristin
Plasticator

Re: Powering Raspberry Pi 2 with existing modular Power supply?

Post by cristin »

just saw this thread. If you have the stock RAMBo controller, I just found out that it has a 5v output that could be used to power a Raspberry Pi.
modded rostock max v2
driving it via astroprint.
jcarlin
Plasticator

Re: Powering Raspberry Pi 2 with existing modular Power supply?

Post by jcarlin »

cristin wrote:just saw this thread. If you have the stock RAMBo controller, I just found out that it has a 5v output that could be used to power a Raspberry Pi.
I did this on my Rostock MAX v3...mounts in the top. I did run across an issue with this setup and AstroPrint. When powering on the Rostock, the pi gets powered on at the same time. This seems to cause issues with AstroPrint on most boots and it never connects properly or presents the web interface. Not sure if anyone else has this issue, but I fixed it by placing a "boot_delay=30" (dont include the quotes) at the end of the /boot/config.txt file on AstroPrint. It gives the RAMBo time to get fully up before AstroPrint tries to connect to it.
R-Max v3.2 (upgraded)
Powerspec Ultra

Simplify3D

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”