#$% skirt and first layer aren't priming

Forum for all things related to Simplify 3D Software
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

#$% skirt and first layer aren't priming

Post by mhackney »

I have not used S3D for a year and decided to try the latest version 3.1 to see if they fixed some issues I had before. I don't recall having *this* problem in the past but using the same factory file and settings when I go to print, the skirt is not extruding nor is most of the first layer. It starts laying down plastic about 30 seconds into the first layer which, of course, ruins the part. I even tried using 2 perimeters to get the %^&* thing to prime. I've gone through the settings and don't see anything that might help. I've also looked at the gcode:

Code: Select all

G90
M83
M106 S0
M140 S60
M190 S60
M104 S195 T0
M109 S195 T0
G21 ; mm units
G90 ; absolute positioning
M83 ; extruder relative positioning
G28 ; home all axes
G1 E-2.0000 F2700
G1 Z4.200 F9000
; layer 1, Z = 0.2
T0
; tool H0.200 W0.380
; skirt
G1 X5.834 Y-0.000 F9000
G1 Z0.200 F9000
G1 E2.0000 F810
G1 X6.450 Y0.501 E0.0251 F1200
G1 X6.472 Y0.521 E0.0009
G1 X6.785 Y0.834 E0.0140
G1 X6.805 Y0.856 E0.0009
There is an odd G1 E-2.0000 F2700 command that retracts and then when it starts printing the skirt it does the advance of 2mm so, in theory, it should start laying down plastic almost immediately. Any one have this problem and/or know what to do to fix it before I shelve it for another year?

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
JFettig
Printmaster!

Re: #$% skirt and first layer aren't priming

Post by JFettig »

maybe consider looking at your ending script too... its probably retracting 10mm or something at the end of your print.

Have you tried asking their tech support?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Thanks for the suggestion but I've done all that. Dissected the gcode, looked at the scripts, looked at settings. My latest debugging test (and I seriously have mothballed it again now that I've done this one last thing) was to extrude 2mm of filament (and I mean sticking out of the .4mm nozzle not 2mm of 1.75mm filament going in) and then run the s3d code. It lowers the nozzle down to a few mm above the bed as the gcode shows and then quickly sucks that 2mm up never to be seen again (well, not until quite a bit of printing air goes by). I've done a quick test with a rectangular part so it is easier to calculate how much extrusion was needed. I needed about 95mm of .4mm. Doing a little math:

orifice area X extruded length = filament area x filament length (solve for filament length FL). Area is Pi * r^2 for a cylinder.

.2^2 * Pi * 95 = .875^2 * Pi * FL
(left as an exercise...)
FL = 5mm of 1.75mm filament

I don't know where it goes and I'm done debugging until next major release. And unfortunately, the keystone path generation bug still exists.

Tech support "Read the quality guide." Seriously.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Not that this is an elegant solution, but try this in your Post Processing command:

Code: Select all

{REPLACE "G1 E-2.0000 F2700" ""}
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I actually deleted that line and although better it still took too long to prime. I've moved on so I won't be spending any more time on this.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

If it's not in the gcdoe, this has literally nothing to do with the slicer.

Pebkac.
*not actually a robot
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Understood. But KISS and Cura on the same part, same machine, as nearly the same slicing parameters as possible both print completely reliably. I can print the KISS code - good - then print the s3d code - bad - then the KISS code - good. 100% reproducible with bad results from s3d and good from KISS and Cura. I've looked at the code for all 3 and there does not appear to be any significant difference that jumps out. I print from the gcode file uploaded to Duet so it isn't due to the s3d control app either.

I've already spent more time on this than I intended so I won't be replying to any more posts here.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

The only thing I could think of that could be easy to miss and cause something like that is a very incorrectly set filament diameter. Anyway, as you said you won't reply so this would just be for anyone stumbling into this via google. :mrgreen:
*not actually a robot
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

try lowering you extruder acceleration. I had some similar issues with simplify but lowering the acceleration seemed to help. I also set the brim to 10mm....
Khalid Khattak
Printmaster!

Post by Khalid Khattak »

I think if its direct drive extruder then it is skipping step...

Return to “Simplify3D”